Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Play-by-Post: In Search of the Sorcerer

nikolokolus

Arcane
Rhenmyr needs to roll a saving throw to avoid the calamitous effects of fumbling

nikolokolus

Arcane
Rhenmyr comes charging into skewer the wolf but slips on the wet floor of the cave and goes crashing on to his face just as he goes to lunge at the beast. (Rhenmyr will be prone the rest of this round at the feet of the wolf. It will take your movement phase to rise to your feet next round).

nikolokolus

Arcane
Did Borric succeed in his pin?

I was typing as you wrote this
Borric sticks the wolf and although its tremendous strength and considerable bulk prove to be difficult to control, he manages to press it backward with the wings of the spear catching hold as the point is driven deep into the creature's rear flank. It howls in rage and tries to leap toward the ceiling to no avail. To Borric's chagrin the creature's long claws and snapping jaws are still very much a threat and the beast contorts itself to rake and bite at him.

I'll let other people roll their initiative before I do anything else, since they still have a chance to beat its initiative roll.

L'ennui

Magister
[1d6+1] = 4+1 = 5

Urash is startled, but then reaches deep into the darker places of his mind. Having found his primal fears, he drinks in some of the maelstrom and focusses his mind to release a burst of that negative cosmic energy at the demon.

Urash will be converting Magic Missile into Maleficence, and cast it as soon as he can.

Attack roll: [1d20+1] = 18+1 = 19

nikolokolus

Arcane
Updated Order of Initiative:
Borric and Rhenmyr
The Wolf and Marcán
Urash
Cormac
Ker
Mab & Brule

The wolf snaps and rakes at Borric since he's able to do little else
Wolf attacks: bite [1d20+4] = 16+4 = 20 claw [1d20+4] = 14+4 = 18, [1d20+4] = 16+4 = 20
Two critical hits: Bite does max damage (8) one claw does max damage (4) The bite and first claw inflict 6 damage and the second claw also hits for 3 damage. A total of 15 9 points of damage. Borric falls and is bleeding profusely, The spear clatters to the ground and the wolf is free. Borric is still on his feet barely, but is bleeding profusely and looks like he could topple at any time.

Siveon Marcán is able to act simultaneously to the wolf.

Shortly thereafter, Urash finishes his incantation and a bolt of crackling black lightning shoots forth from his fingertips striking the wolf full on. (L'ennui roll 1d6 of damage. If you roll a '6' then roll another 1d6 and add it to the total. Also for future reference your maleficence cast at a single target grants you +3 on your to-hit roll.)

A second later, Ker completes his invocation and purplish flames spring up around the wolf, but strangely cast no heat. (Attacks against the wolf are no +1 for everyone).

Cormac and Mab can now do anything except cast spells (since those have to be declared at the start of the round).

Last edited:
Cormac dashes to Borric to assess his wounds.

Can I do something to stabilize Borric until next round? Not sure how many HP he has and I won't be able to use a spell until then. If so, I will bind his wounds.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Marcán attempts to restrain the beast with his whip.

What do I roll for that?

nikolokolus

Arcane
Cormac dashes to Borric to assess his wounds.

Can I do something to stabilize Borric until next round? Not sure how many HP he has and I won't be able to use a spell until then. If so, I will bind his wounds.
You can bind wounds with a successful saving throw (Since healing is in a cleric's bailiwick you get +2 to the roll). Characters at negative hit points can survive for 1 round per level before they expire.

Marcán attempts to restrain the beast with his whip.

What do I roll for that?

Just roll to-hit. If you succeed you have to roll a strength check as per the grappling rules (and the spear that Borric is using); ie. if you fail the strength check you still lasso the beast, but it can take you "for a ride" if you refuse to let go.

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
Whoops! Hold up. I mistakenly read the wolf's 20's to be critical hits. Let me roll damage. He might not be down ...

nikolokolus

Arcane
Urash's crackling black bolt strikes the creature in the neck and putrid wisps of green smoke curl off of it's singed, wiry fur. It looks a bit ragged.

Cormac rushes forward to aid the badly injured Borric while Brule charges ahead with his sword held high over his head but his sword harmlessly whistles past Blaidd Mawr's head and cuts into the stone floor.

Mab launches a sling-stone, but it flies wide of the mark and sails toward Cormac

(Wayward Son roll to-hit again to see if you accidentally wound Cormac. His AC is 12)

ROUND 2 ...

nikolokolus

Arcane

ERYFKRAD Holding the pin counts as your "attack" this round.

Marcán manages to lasso the wolf around one of its hindlegs, but quickly realizes that he isn't going to be able to get enough leverage to keep the wolf pinned to the ground (Siveon it's let go or go for a ride). Further, Borric loses his leverage and the wolf wriggles free and growls at him, its eyes full of malice and hate. Sensing an opportunity, Rhenmyr rises from his belly and he lunges again with his spear but it glances off of the creature's dense mat of fur harmlessly.

The wolf looks at the hair rope looped around its leg and sniffs at it curiously before lifting its head and snarling contemptuously. It now has its full attention on the Bard and lunges at him raking and biting.
Wolf's attack versus Marcán: bite [1d20+4] = 4+4 = 8 claw x2 [1d20] = 16,[1d20] = 12
Marcán deftly steps back avoiding the creature's jaws, but one of the claws rakes him across the leg for 4 damage.

Yet to act this round...

Urash
Cormac
Ker
Mab & Brule

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom