Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Platformers/sidescrollers all time favorite

Courtier

Prophet
Demon's Sperm
Eroico
Repure Aria
Kurovaldis
サキュバスの塔 RJ168568 AKA Tower of Succubus

Reason: All feature tasteful rape

1. Big Nose Freaks Out! (physics, controls)
2. Mr Gimmick (physics, controls, varierty)
3. Super Mario Bros. 3 (controls, varierty)
4. Super Mario Bros. 1 (essence of platform games)
5. Super Mario Bros 2 JAP vel Lost Levels (almost Battletoads level of hard)

Ivan

Arcane
cream of the crop

Rayman Origins
: music, art, best controls, great difficulty
Mario 3D World: Mario keeps improving. my favorite soundtrack, just brings a smile to my face when I play it.
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - brings back the gameplay of the original 2 Country games (save for companion animals) with great prod. values and a tough difficulty
Spelunky: choice and consequence in a platforming game.
Volgarr The Viking : tough as balls, features spear throwing to make your own platforms, combat is solid, itemization is great. a modern classic that's often overlooked.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Metal Slug X: The entire Metal Slug series are all great coin-munching arcade platformers, but I liked X the best for it's level variety while still being somewhat simple. The later games get reasonably a little more complicated, with character-specific traits and abilities (which is amazing) but X is the one I keep coming back to the most.

Mega Man 2: Lazy pick as favorite Mega Man, but it is. Play all of the Mega Men though, it's Mega Man, and they're great. X is also fantastic up until 3, and serviceable up until X6. Also see Zero series, which is pretty good.

Popful Mail: You want '90s cheese? I'll give you '90s cheese. Americanized as all hell localization, coupled with a hilarious dub, makes for a pretty okplatformer/RPG hybrid but it's just fun to play. I never get far because the Sega CD is a bitch to emulate at times, but, I always keep coming back it.

Super Mario 3D World: Sadly, the only Mario game I beat in recent memory but it's incredibly well polished and the gameplay is both solid and addictive.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I know what I spent untold hours on.

6.gif

Then I attempted to torrent Captain Claw over a decade later and had to format my HDD because shenanigans.

Sore Loser

Savant

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom