Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Planetary Annihilation: Titans Released

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I would love to play a rts game with some actual STRATEGY involved and not just rt. Tactics? Happen, usually replaced by micro but they do happen. Strategy? Never.

I think the scale doesn't really work all that well for most RTS games for strategy to be really viable. TA and Sup Com did have a bit of strategy and a lot of good tactics involved because of the massive scale and steady resource available. Against a half decent player or a well set up AI, just building shit and sending it out in a war of attrition didn't really work. You had to work out different approaches, tactics, co-ordinated assaults etc. to divide and weaken the enemy long enough for some killer blow. Even so this is a combat orientated, low level style of strategy. Another game that had elements of long term strategy built into the experience was Earth 2150 where all your tactical decisions were based on getting the most from as little as possible in order to complete a long term strategic goal. Strategy cam from working out just how best to clear out each area of resources without wasting units or resorces. Most RTS are far too low level for grand strategy to be useful, though there are a few abstract types of games like AI War where you need to have some overall plan from the get go. Otherwise most games that try to add strategy do so in the Total War hybrid style or the 4X style of game.

Depends what you really mean by strategy though regarding RTS games. You're not going to get War in the East type of strategy in a RTS, for the most part.

Anyway, I always loved the huge scale of TA/Sup Com and the slow but methodical way you'd arm wrestle your opponent for victory(unless you got lucky with a rapidly built group of 15-20 light tanks and caught the enemy commander scratching his balls! heh. ) so I backed this for $15. Hope it reaches a proper campaign tier before the end(one of those tiers has got to be a campaign mode!).

Johannes

Arcane
I would love to play a rts game with some actual STRATEGY involved and not just rt. Tactics? Happen, usually replaced by micro but they do happen. Strategy? Never.

I think the scale doesn't really work all that well for most RTS games for strategy to be really viable. TA and Sup Com did have a bit of strategy and a lot of good tactics involved because of the massive scale and steady resource available. Against a half decent player or a well set up AI, just building shit and sending it out in a war of attrition didn't really work. You had to work out different approaches, tactics, co-ordinated assaults etc. to divide and weaken the enemy long enough for some killer blow. Even so this is a combat orientated, low level style of strategy. Another game that had elements of long term strategy built into the experience was Earth 2150 where all your tactical decisions were based on getting the most from as little as possible in order to complete a long term strategic goal. Strategy cam from working out just how best to clear out each area of resources without wasting units or resorces. Most RTS are far too low level for grand strategy to be useful, though there are a few abstract types of games like AI War where you need to have some overall plan from the get go. Otherwise most games that try to add strategy do so in the Total War hybrid style or the 4X style of game.

Depends what you really mean by strategy though regarding RTS games. You're not going to get War in the East type of strategy in a RTS, for the most part.

Anyway, I always loved the huge scale of TA/Sup Com and the slow but methodical way you'd arm wrestle your opponent for victory(unless you got lucky with a rapidly built group of 15-20 light tanks and caught the enemy commander scratching his balls! heh. ) so I backed this for $15. Hope it reaches a proper campaign tier before the end(one of those tiers has got to be a campaign mode!).
Claiming that there's no strategy in this or that game is silly. Because it's a much wider term than just meaning what you'd call grand or military strategy in real life. When talking of games, strategy is simply the highest level of planning you do in the game, outside of metagame at least. It's like claiming that chess strategy isn't actually strategy but just tactics, it's just clear misuse of the term.

And I don't see TA as having more emphasis on strategy than other good RTS'es. Actually I'd say games with more exclusive tech paths and researches call for longer term planning. In fact all kinds of crazy rushes (at least ones that aren't done blindly) that depend on getting your enemy caught pants down, place a heavy emphasis on strategy whereas it's slightly harder to pull too crazy shenanigans in TA - which favours being able to just capture small advantages and being able to keep them.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Hell yeah, they reached every stretch goal. Really didn't expect that.

Destroid

Arcane
I am excited. I wonder how much of their own money they are putting in, I don't imagine 2.2mil will pay their studios wages for an awfully long time.

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech
I am excited. I wonder how much of their own money they are putting in, I don't imagine 2.2mil will pay their studios wages for an awfully long time.

I imagine they made quite chunk of change off of both Monday Night Combats, so they should have good amount to throw around for wages n' stuff.

Captain Shrek

tumblr_mh3ecc5Be51s49jb5o2_1280.jpg

:takemymoney:

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
Beautiful, now the only thing missing is a big-ass crater.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
If those rocks are not destructible I'll be greatly disappointed. They look like they are asking for a volley of rockets to the base.

circ

Arcane
Rocks look massively destructible. Man that looks awesome. I'm trying real hard and I can't think of a single previous RTS with elevation that elaborate.

In any RTS, the ability for small losses to create a minor but decisive economic advantage tends to encourage micro even if single player is anti-micro. I remember how folk who usually played custom maps in WC3 just couldn't get it into their heads how vital it was in ladder matches not to lose a single ghoul/footman/archer during T1 unless rushing, doing a hero-surround-and-kill or counter-rushing, and how they wouldn't realise how decisive it could be to harass resource lines and simply slow down mining/logging.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Also is everything supposed to be so boxy? Including units and buildings? Doesn't look very nice.

catfood

AGAIN
I imagine it does, to make it look like Total Annihilation.
Actually in some interview they mentioned that they chose this art style because it's easier for them to make it run on most systems. Objects with low poly count are tax the system less. When you think about it, it's a sound design choice since they mentioned that they plan on having a high unit cap. You can imagine that they would lose a lot of potential customers if only high end PC's could run the game.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
Actually in some interview they mentioned that they chose this art style because it's easier for them to make it run on most systems. Objects with low poly count are tax the system less. When you think about it, it's a sound design choice since they mentioned that they plan on having a high unit cap. You can imagine that they would lose a lot of potential customers if only high end PC's could run the game.
Fuck the high unit cap, what counts is destructible environment. Shit has top priority in my book.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Fuck the high unit cap, what counts is destructible environment. Shit has top priority in my book.

But but but... shit has to explode in awesome ways! Otherwise my enjoyment of the gameplay will suffer! Hopefully they see to this crucial point with aweshum explushiuns.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member

But but but... shit has to explode in awesome ways! Otherwise my enjoyment of the gameplay will suffer! Hopefully they see to this crucial point with aweshum explushiuns.
Shit exploding in awesome ways is half of the success.

Brinko

Arcane

Some in-game footage from the alpha. Looks promising but I am concerned that the guy can build mass extractors anywhere.

spectre

Arcane
Looks promising but I am concerned that the guy can build mass extractors anywhere.
Probably an alpha thing, it doesn't look like metal deposits are in yet.

I'm glad it's possible to shift-queue the living crap out of everything, including build orders for factories that are not finished.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom