Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Planescape Torment is boring

ZACKIE

Educated
What's up with the love people had for this game, i remember playing this back in the day and thinking it was okay, i might've not understood the concepts and writing cause i was younger, but i've replayed recently and the writing and verbose is so cringe and forced.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I played it under the impression it was a masterpiece, because that was what everyone was saying, so I didn't even try to have a critical perspective. I was only looking for the qualities and when I didn't understand something I thought it was me who were at fault, not the writing.

But it would be fun to go back to it now when I have a more developed taste.

ZACKIE

Educated
Making a new thread, because posting how you find Planescape: Torment boring in in another thread wasn't enough for you?
Not really, i was looking for threads about this game cause i beat recently, i posted in that thread and made a new thread since that was mostly a fanboy thread gushing over the game, i want to see what people that also disliked the game have to say

ZACKIE

Educated
So which RPG did you like more than Planescape?
Most of them that have actual gameplay, recent one that was similar to Planescape Torment that i enjoyed was Disco Elysium, still found the writing to be kinda forced but not as annoying. I guess i just liked the concept more and themes of the game are not obtuse like in Planescape Torment in order to make the game feel more "deep" and complex

Risewild

Arbiter
What's up with the hate people have for this game, i remember playing this back in the day and thinking it was pretty good, i might've not understood some concepts and writing cause i was younger, but i've replayed recently and the writing and verbose is awesome and feels so natural.

Harthwain

Magister
Most of them that have actual gameplay
Here we go. A combatfag.
More like a troll. Planescape: Torment has combat, as shitty as it is, so by combatfags' standards that should be enough (otherwise one would use "good" instead of "actual"). What's "an actual gameplay" then, if that does not constitute a gameplay? As bad as Planescape: Torment's combat is, it isn't that far removed - mechanically speaking - from other Infinity Engine games after all.

ZACKIE

Educated
You should take the necessary two seconds of reflexion to realise your gripes have been formulated millions of time since 1999.
You should also take 2 seconds of reflexion to realize those gripes might be legitimate and as a video game Planescape Torment is terrible, video games are video games, they are supposed to be played, if i get less player interaction in a video game than a choose your own adventure book then it failed as a video game.

vota DC

Augur
so cringe and forced.
Indeed.
Here we go. A combatfag.
Planescape Torment is an awful video game, you can copy 90% of the games text boxes and paste them into a book and you would get the same experience, it's basically a western VN, and vn's are not video games, they are visual novels
You have many choices so It Is a CYOA and CYOA Is the new rpg

ZACKIE

Educated
Here we go. A combatfag.
More like a troll. Planescape: Torment has combat, as shitty as it is, so by combatfags' standards that should be enough (otherwise one would use "good" instead of "actual"). What's "an actual gameplay" then, if that does not constitute a gameplay? As bad as Planescape: Torment's combat is, it isn't that far removed - mechanically speaking - from other Infinity Engine games after all.
Most infinite engine games are VN's disguised as rpgs, it's why wrgps never took off cause they are books and not games, jrpgs took over cause they let the player actually play a game, figure that one out.

Harthwain

Magister
Most infinite engine games are VN's disguised as rpgs
Uh-huh. Bullshit. If anything they are tactical combat games. Trying to present them as "visual novels" is obviously a bad faith argument that's supposed to troll people here.

t's why wrgps never took off cause they are books and not games, jrpgs took over cause they let the player actually play a game, figure that one out.
Uh-huh. Except Baldur's Gate essentially gave birth to a whole series of "wrpgs". So nice try, but you gotta make better arguments than that. Also, jRPGs aren't really RPGs where it really matters (which is why they have "j" before "RPG").

just

Liturgist
every jrpg ever made:
20 min unskippable cutscene
then 10 min unskippable explanation what happened in the cutscene

planetscape tournament:
quickly tap 1,2,3 to skip endless walls of texts

baba is you

Educated
I agree, the dungeons and combat were definitely not as good as I remember. The exploration wasn't that satisfying either.
Planescape Torment's story is a hotly debated topic, and while there are gamers who love it, the gamers I've been around have often cited the flaws in Planescape Torment's story.

(If I recall what I read, the main arguments were: lack of narrative from companions, poor balance between areas, story and gameplay breakdown, and the player feels like a bystander rather than a participant in the game.)

ZACKIE

Educated
every jrpg ever made:

planetscape tournament:
Planescape Torment relies on it's story and writing, skipping it is pretty much and admission the game sucks balls, jrpgs have more to it than story and writing. Look at how advanced FFX was compared to Planescape Torment it came 1 almost 2 years later then it and it blows it out of the water in pretty much every department, even the story is better and the themes are similar and the soundtrack is pure bliss, has voice acting, super bosses, mini games, side activities etc

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
every jrpg ever made:

planetscape tournament:
Planescape Torment relies on it's story and writing, skipping it is pretty much and admission the game sucks balls, jrpgs have more to it than story and writing. Look at how advanced FFX was compared to Planescape Torment it came 1 almost 2 years later then it and it blows it out of the water in pretty much every department, even the story is better and the themes are similar and the soundtrack is pure bliss, has voice acting, super bosses, mini games, side activities etc
Can't take anyone who praises FFX seriously. Juvenile anime cringe.

ZACKIE

Educated
every jrpg ever made:

planetscape tournament:
Can't take anyone who praises FFX seriously. Juvenile anime cringe.
You probably watched the Tidus laughing scene and think it's supposed to be taken seriously like most wrpgfags think, besides the story is amazing

Jigby

Augur
It had a drab color palette, so if you're an American, that explains it.
I think MCA explained in one of the Beamdog EE logs how most of the textures were generated procedurally and the soft they were using back then used the drab color palette of greys and browns.

baba is you

Educated
jrpgs have more to it than story and writing. Look at how advanced FFX was compared to Planescape Torment it came 1 almost 2 years later then it and it blows it out of the water in pretty much every department, even the story is better and the themes are similar and the soundtrack is pure bliss, has voice acting, super bosses, mini games, side activities etc
If that's the only way you're criticizing Planescape Torment, I retract my agreement. There's no reason an RPG has to have voices and minigames, and does it have to have super bosses? Bullshit.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom