Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Planescape: Torment is 25 years old this year. What are you hoping for?

motherfucker

Educated
The best we can hope for is that the game is left alone. It doesn't need a sequel and it definitely does not need a remake or any kind of modern update.
There's EE already

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Sigil is a great setting though. Id like to see that done really well. Just dont dig up the Nameless One and drag him behind the chariot pls.

Falksi

Arcane
The original shouldn't be touched, no sequels needed either.

Wouldn't mind a Codex dev who actually gets the game making their own game inspired by it though. Similar style, themes and subjects/ideas which offer as much quality and depth, but with better pacing and better combat too.

Arthandas

Prophet
I hope no one comes up with the idea of refreshing the brand. Really, it's better left dead. While Baldur's Gate 3 can be considered at least a partially successful game because the setting was always been pulp and infantile, PT needs a slightly more intelligent approach and sense of taste. No one, especially Wizards, is going to give money to something that won't please former Tumblr users.
The sad reality of being a Codexer - having a favorite game and wishing it never gets a sequel...

FF3wZzuUcAAezbN

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Holy shit I just realized that I never considered the possibility of a new Torment by Larian.

:prosper:

New "Torment" by Larian is a horrific HORRIFIC thought.

On the other hand, something "Planescape" would probably fit Larian better than Forgotten Realms.
Ya know... considering that they kept shoving demons, illithids and githaynki into level 1 Baldur's Gate adventure.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Holy shit I just realized that I never considered the possibility of a new Torment by Larian.

:prosper:

New "Torment" by Larian is a horrific HORRIFIC thought.

On the other hand, something "Planescape" would probably fit Larian better than Forgotten Realms.
Ya know... considering that they kept shoving demons, illithids and githaynki into level 1 Baldur's Gate adventure.
Inflation hit demons, illithids and githyanki hard, now their level values are worth only as much as 1 level of the player character.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
If someone ever made another Planescape I only hope they wont forget about CRPG elements other than stat checks in dialogues and some limited exploration. Setting, story and writing alone don't make a good CRPG.

Perhaps make it a point and click adventure. Great setting, if someone could add good puzzles I would play it.

Who i am kidding. Leave it alone.

BruceVC

Magister
I would love to see another Planescape game using the IP

It will be a new story with new characters. Planescape has lots of scope and components like the planes to explore and different groups to interact with

Im surprised this thread is not full of "of course I would love to see another Planescape game " :bounce:

Konjad

⛏
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Planescape Torment 2: Continue the AWESOME saga of the nameless one in the hells, SLAYING tan'ari and other demons by the thousands! The new AMAZING action-RPG with stats such as Strenght, Speed and Dexterity will determine what kind of demon-slaying warrior you are! No enemy will escape you, and multiple special powers such as super-hiber-uber-multi-kill that kills 100 enemies at once, or hot-as-hells-inferno that will burn everyone in 10km2 will help you to achieve the ASTONISHING experience of a true warlord in hells as it should be! The new Planescape: Torment 2 will be what Planescape: Torment couldn't due to technical limitations, but the future is now and you can experience it for only $99.99!

Arthandas

Prophet
To be perfectly honest, I think PST's ending sets it up pretty nicely for a sequel.
The Nameless One died and was recruited into a never-ending war, but as we know, he was pretty fucking powerful (especially now, after merging with other reincarnations). The ending doesn't state whether he lost his powers or not.
If he didn't, a force like him could tip the balance and make one of the sides finally win and end the war. Surviving the war, helping one of the sides win (or making both of them eradicate themselves), ending the war and escaping Hell would be a pretty decent premise imo.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
It should never get a sequel. A new game in the Planescape setting, from a measured hand, would be nice. I wouldn't hold my breath though. I've been waiting decades for another Ravenloft game.

:negative:

As others have stated, PST should be left alone and with no direct sequel.

I'm not even sure I'd like to see a CRPG take place in the Planescape setting by today's developers. PST being a deconstruction of the RPG genre and its tropes was a very important part of what made the setting good. Without contrast and grounding, Planescape can quickly devolve into an infantile "anything goes" setting which generally makes everything diluted and inconsistent. It's why Numenera as a setting is dissatisfying. I don't think anyone in industry has the talent to understand those nuances or the restraint necessary for a Planescape game to be good.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I have more hope in some AI generating PS:T 2 out of thin air 5 years from now, than I have faith in the current crop of gamdevs achieving anything close to what the original did.

Videogame writing in the 80s with one-sentence narratives are better than the current model. At least when I cringed at the one-sentence stories, it was funny.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Exactly. Which sucks ass - Im halfway into that field but trying to write anything worthwhile is a draining process and cynically, you always know its just dreams. The rights will go to someone with 'progressive sensibilities' even if I had the rest of the production skills to muster up the team to turn it in to anything.

I wonder how many top tier RPG storylines are left scattered on the tables and floors of random DMs and writers around the world with nowhere to go. Infuriates me.

Old Hans

Arcane
I hope they turn it into a TV sitcom starring Ted Danson as the Undying One and co-starring Larry David as Morte

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom