Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pining for a BG3? Blackguards review and nitpicks

Taurist

Scholar
The death of Niam fucking ruined my party. I had 3 warriors and 2 mages and no rangers. Shit sucked. I attempted a reroll, but the slow combat speed put me off on the second playthrough.

It was an interesting thing to do, but I dont think it was worth it, in general the writing was top notch though. As for the game itself, im always a sucker for an implementation of pnp ruleset.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
The death of Niam fucking ruined my party. I had 3 warriors and 2 mages and no rangers. Shit sucked. I attempted a reroll, but the slow combat speed put me off on the second playthrough.

It was an interesting thing to do, but I dont think it was worth it, in general the writing was top notch though. As for the game itself, im always a sucker for an implementation of pnp ruleset.

I also didn't like the Niam kill, and even deducted a point for it in that category. However, quitting the game because you lacked an archer? For real? I've completed the game twice now and had no issue with having zero archers both times (aside from Niam's brief appearance). I plan to make my PC an archer one day, but other than that... I'm not getting how it 'ruins' anything.

Taurist

Scholar
I also didn't like the Niam kill, and even deducted a point for it in that category. However, quitting the game because you lacked an archer? For real? I've completed the game twice now and had no issue with having zero archers both times (aside from Niam's brief appearance). I plan to make my PC an archer one day, but other than that... I'm not getting how it 'ruins' anything.
"Ruined" was perhaps a bit of an exaggeration, it did feel kind of crappy and unbalanced though. I ended up playing through the game with my "ruined" party.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
2 mages provided sufficient range capabilities in BG1 (but I played it before they nerfed them - or was the nerf just in BG2?). Still, offing Niam without alternatives was one of the weaker choices by the team.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Takate can easily be archer/spear hybrid. At the end I even had him use hammerblow too.

JRIz

Augur
Finished BG1 some days ago and it is really a great game. I realized I don't actually like exploration that much except in games that shine almost only because of it like Morrowind.

Take the other BG1 for instance. It could have been a much better game if the endlessly running around mostly empty maps and encountering random enemies only to find the few actually interesting fights and items would have been left away. When you enter a tavern, you go around checking every room, every cupboard and every patron but in the end only a handful have anything else to say than filler dialogue. I say either go full 'immersive simulation' and push the boundaries of current technology to present a believable tavern, or go back to the roots, just show a list of quest givers and a generic tavern background and concentrate on more important things instead. In Blackguards, every fight is hand-crafted and the combat system is fun. This just shows that Daedalic knew their strengths.

What I liked the least are that your party members are dictated by the story, the minimal and somewhat nonsensical C&C, and the only decent itemization. The game is overall just too linear and has little replay value.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom