Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
You spent 2 weeks research best character to do dialogues with, but you're gonna give up reading the dialogue after 30 minutes.

Well how the hell is he going to know what xaurips and fampyrs are then?
Well fampyrs are easy, they're vampires without teeth.
Xaurips are obviously loot stealers, named after the sound they make tearing your bags.

I didn't realize the loremeister was in. What the shit is a menpŵgra, a lagufaeth, a skuldr, and a cean gŵla then?

As an aside, if anyone would slap Sawyer and explain to him how vowels work, I'd be grateful.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Ok, i picked something similar to this for my barbarian custom guy:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/106646-class-build-the-cauterizer/

Except i'm human and the stats are slightly less min/maxed so as to keep him more in line with the story companions, something like this:

19 10 10 14 16 9

I think i'm also gonna pick another, possibly a ranger as between my guy, Eder and this dude (whom i named Cormac) i now have three melee. Durance and Kana will also come soon as i had them before i got to Raedric hold on my last play. So once i get there i should have a party of six, meaning i can now murder everything without having to reload 10 times per encounter.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Wow, carnage is pretty brutal lmao. In fact, i went ahead and decided to make my main guy into a true off-tank, respecing thus:

20 10 10 10 18 10

I tried hard to push him for DPS initially because i remember my DPS was pretty low on my first run but i had totally forgotten you can hire custom made NPCs right off the bat, so it actually wasn't necessary after all. I reloaded the save and made for a more generic barbarian, like this:

17 8 14 14 17 8

Eventually i'll abandon him since i want to try out all the quest npcs at least once but it'll give me a taste of what the original barbarian i wanted to make would have been like, at least for a bit.

For now i'm out of gold but i think i'll also try a ranger companion next as well, probably make it a generic wood elf with wolf pet just for the hell of it. I actually wanted to try a rogue but like i said i have too many melees already.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
BTW, wasn't there some sort of quest for the doggo in the inn? I'm 100% sure the resolution was a benevolent choice, which means now i gotta be cruel to that poor thing. Guess i gotta show people i ain't fucking around if i want them to fear me.

Also, i'm totally gonna murder all the backer NPCs, as many as i can get away with. Already killed one near Eder, got a plate armor for my trouble.

Last edited:

Sòren

Arcane
the game sucks anyway, but backer NPCs ruined the atmosphere from the first village onwards. of course most backers wanted to be special and touched by the gods (which makes the whole concept absurd). i still remember that the first green name-tagged NPC i clicked had some gay story about intolerance and said "yeah, i'm never doing that again."

i'm not saying this game is art in any way, but imagine being a person dedicated to his craft and there are hundreds of retarded children running around mutilating your canvas. it cannot work, no matter the qualities you hold yourself.

Hagashager

Educated
I enjoyed PoE 1, but I am finding so much about PoE2 that makes me just not want to do this.

I utterly despise that *every class* has a "resource" to be expended for abilities. Whether it's Fighter, Paladin, Mage or Rogue, you've got a bootleg Mana pool to work around.

I absolutely hate that mages have to carry multiple grimoire. Fuck this. It makes zero sense to be flipping through three books in combat and completely kills the Roleplay of being a wizard building up *his own* grinoire of knowledge.

I find the skills bloated and so granular as to be practically useless 90% of the time.

Lastly, and this is more a nitpick than anything else- The Critical Role voice acting. I can't separate them from the Ex Machina characters. I'm being narrated to by Pike. I can't divorce that and it kills much of the dialogue for me.

PoE 1 has its problems, but I find it far more fun just to *play* than PoE 2.

AshenNedra

Novice
I enjoyed PoE 1, but I am finding so much about PoE2 that makes me just not want to do this.

I utterly despise that *every class* has a "resource" to be expended for abilities. Whether it's Fighter, Paladin, Mage or Rogue, you've got a bootleg Mana pool to work around.

I absolutely hate that mages have to carry multiple grimoire. Fuck this. It makes zero sense to be flipping through three books in combat and completely kills the Roleplay of being a wizard building up *his own* grinoire of knowledge.

I find the skills bloated and so granular as to be practically useless 90% of the time.

Lastly, and this is more a nitpick than anything else- The Critical Role voice acting. I can't separate them from the Ex Machina characters. I'm being narrated to by Pike. I can't divorce that and it kills much of the dialogue for me.

the only good thing POE 2 is itemization. It's really good.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
the game sucks anyway, but backer NPCs ruined the atmosphere from the first village onwards. of course most backers wanted to be special and touched by the gods (which makes the whole concept absurd). i still remember that the first green name-tagged NPC i clicked had some gay story about intolerance and said "yeah, i'm never doing that again."

i'm not saying this game is art in any way, but imagine being a person dedicated to his craft and there are hundreds of retarded children running around mutilating your canvas. it cannot work, no matter the qualities you hold yourself.

You can't even just ignore them and pretend they are regular villagers, since those backer NPCs are dressed extravagantly and stand out no matter what. Right now it feels like Gilded Vale has been invaded by tourists.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
White people are like 10% of Deadfire's cast and that really gives you all the information you need on if this is a game you would enjoy.

motherfucker

Educated
Huh? Never got to dedfire, what was wrong with the original system of copying shit from other grimoires into your own?

Sòren

Arcane

You can't even just ignore them and pretend they are regular villagers, since those backer NPCs are dressed extravagantly and stand out no matter what. Right now it feels like Gilded Vale has been invaded by tourists.

which is probably the dumbest thing to show when your intention is to create the impression of a town in decay and suffering from famine. imagine playing dark souls and there is a group of hipsters discussing gender issues around your bonfire while there is rotting flesh all around you.

it might sound like san francisco, but what kind of retard wants to play game set there?

Hagashager

Educated
Huh? Never got to dedfire, what was wrong with the original system of copying shit from other grimoires into your own?
You tell me. Accprding to Sawyer it was to balance wizard multi-classing but I don't think it works at all.

You start out with a worn grimoire that has the unique spell "Arcane Blast" (the same one from PoE 1. You can only cast Arcane Blast from the worn grimoire.

You'll later find other grimoires either as loot or rewards. Many of these grimoires have unique spells that can only be cast from that grimoire. An example would Ninagouth's Shadowflame (Blue fireball).

Additionally, when you level up you can pick an "ability" you know. Typically this'll be innate versions of spells that you just know without a grimoire.

So a strategy that many mage players do, a dogshit, meta-strat, is you *respec your wizard* everytime you find a new grimoire so that your innate spells complement the grimoire you're favoring.

Later on you're gonna want to have at lwast two grimoires on hand because there're very good spells between multiple books. It's exactly as cumbersome and obnoxious as it sounds.

PoE 2 managed to ruin my favorite class. Just spectacular game design Josh.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Realms of Antiquity does a similar thing where you can only cast spells from your equipped spellbook. I've never seen anyone complain about it. It's a pretty fun system because it ties your progression into exploration. It's exciting when you find a spellbook that has new spells in it.

Hagashager

Educated
I've never played that but I'm going to take a wild guess that it functions better in Realms of Antiquity.

PoE 2 is clunky. The entire system is clunky and baits respeccing for optimization.

From a purely roleplay standpoint, I also don't like that I'm using other mage's work. *You're* not the powerful wizard here, Llengrath is. You're just using one of her books. Same with Minoletta, Ninagouth etc.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Oh my god, I feel overwhelmed by unstoppable urge to respec every time I find a new spellbook - said nobody ever.

Nigga it's not the system "baiting" you to respec, it's your autism.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I haven't found a second book for Aloth yet but as i remember you just switched around so you could have more spells memorized.

[EDIT] Oh you guys are talking about Pillars II.

Diggfinger

Arcane

the only good thing POE 2 is itemization. It's really good.

:shunthenonbeliever:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom