Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

chuft

Augur
Every time? LOL. That means no other Steam game would ever be updated again. Age of Wonders 4 for instance. Or Gladius.

warralek

Literate

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
From what I read on Reddit, seems this new update is getting Steam version in line with Epic version, Epic version had Unity Version 2019.4.11 update when released years ago, at least that's what I read. (as for the bugfixes I don't know if that's new)
Sweeney paid Obsidian to make an extra special Epic exclusive patch? Seems like something he'd do, but Pillars isn't exactly a killer app and he didn't even advertise this fact.

warralek

Literate
From what I read on Reddit, seems this new update is getting Steam version in line with Epic version, Epic version had Unity Version 2019.4.11 update when released years ago, at least that's what I read. (as for the bugfixes I don't know if that's new)
Sweeney paid Obsidian to make an extra special Epic exclusive patch? Seems like something he'd do, but Pillars isn't exactly a killer app and he didn't even advertise this fact.

Not sure, but after reading it on Reddit I did little bit of search, seems folks (on Epic version) had PoE crashes with error messages POE-Unity 2019 or DX11 errors. Maybe they had to upgrade, even aritificially, so they could release PoE on newest consoles (I think newest Xbox only support DX11+ ?).
Also I was using sweetfx+opengl preset from Nexus, sadly it doesn't work with newest Steam PoE (beta) version (generally don't work with any non-opengl,non-dx9-10 game).

Last edited:

warralek

Literate
Did a quick reinstall of the game with newest beta patch, run it with OSD AF&Riva and it seems PoE is using DX11 now (screenshot in spoiler).

cJNDGPH.jpg

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Does Steam force an update if the patch is uploaded to the beta branch? Is opting out of the beta not possible?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Don't know about that, but once it's out, its out. Only way around from what I know, if they keep the older version as a beta or something.

Sannom

Augur
I don't think those people asking about opting out have realized that the patch is only in beta for now. It's an easy detail to miss.

chuft

Augur
I am trying to figure out how to protect my game from being updated before it goes live. Once it does, it's too late. I don't know how long this beta period will last/how long it's been going on already. For now I am changing its Steam property to "Only update this game when I launch it" and I can just never launch it while connected to the Internet once the patch goes live.

From Reddit it sounds like there is some way to hide a file Steam uses so it thinks the game is uninstalled and does not try to update it even if online. But you have to find another way to launch it. Not sure how that works since the game will want Steam running in order to run.

Someone who uses social media should tell Sawyer to make previous versions of the game an option on Steam for people who don't want to lose all their mods. I have seen that for other games. It is not there as a Steam property for POE1, but it is for Stellaris. Under Betas there is a long list of previous versions you can use instead of the latest.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Pillows doesn't use Steam DRM. You can just copy your current version into a different folder and try to keep that forever.

I have the disc version so I have a forever 3.03 copy. :smug: (until the disc breaks/rots anyway)

If Obsidian's aware and considerate enough, they'll create a branch of the old version for people who want to keep their mods.

chuft

Augur
I will try copying the POE1 folder elsewhere just in case. Thanks Roguey. I am not sure whether that would work though. Does it work if, say, Steam is uninstalled? In the POE1 game directory there are files like steam_api.dll and SteamworksNative.dll. Not just pure Pillars stuff.

I am also trying the "manifest trick" where you go into the Steamapps folder and right click on the file (this app id is for POE1)
appmanifest_291650.acf
and choose Properties, and then mark it Read Only and hit Apply.

Supposedly this will stop Steam from trying to update it. I also changed it to Update on Launch Only in the Steam properties so it is not constantly trying to update it and hitting permissions errors. I pinned a shortcut to PillarsOfEternity.exe from the game's folder to my task bar and will use that instead of Steam to launch the game so it won't even check for updates.

So far it still launches from Steam, but, there is no pending update. I suspect as soon as there is, the Steam launcher won't work because it will try to update and fail due to not being able to write to the manifest file. The shortcut on my taskbar should allow me to still run it, since I am not going through the Steam interface.

Will this work? I don't know. Supposedly it has worked for other games in the past. In the discussions I tend to see other, much more complicated methods and I am not sure why anyone would use them if the manifest read-only method works.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I will try copying the POE1 folder elsewhere just in case. Thanks Roguey. I am not sure whether that would work though. Does it work if, say, Steam is uninstalled? In the POE1 game directory there are files like steam_api.dll and SteamworksNative.dll. Not just pure Pillars stuff.

I am also trying the "manifest trick" where you go into the Steamapps folder and right click on the file (this app id is for POE1)
appmanifest_291650.acf
and choose Properties, and then mark it Read Only and hit Apply.

Supposedly this will stop Steam from trying to update it. I also changed it to Update on Launch Only in the Steam properties so it is not constantly trying to update it and hitting permissions errors. I pinned a shortcut to PillarsOfEternity.exe from the game's folder to my task bar and will use that instead of Steam to launch the game so it won't even check for updates.

So far it still launches from Steam, but, there is no pending update. I suspect as soon as there is, the Steam launcher won't work because it will try to update and fail due to not being able to write to the manifest file. The shortcut on my taskbar should allow me to still run it, since I am not going through the Steam interface.

Will this work? I don't know. Supposedly it has worked for other games in the past. In the discussions I tend to see other, much more complicated methods and I am not sure why anyone would use them if the manifest read-only method works.
Just download a gog version from torrents. Even if you're a copyrast, you can still do it, because you already bought it on Steam.

If you refuse to do it and the game doesn't launch without Steam, there's a Steam DRM removal project on Github. You'll have to compile it and run it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yeah, you can even delete those if you want.

See https://steam.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games

chuft

Augur
Just download a gog version from torrents. Even if you're a copyrast, you can still do it, because you already bought it on Steam.

If you refuse to do it and the game doesn't launch without Steam, there's a Steam DRM removal project on Github. You'll have to compile it and run it.

I generally avoid torrents due to malware. Interesting that there's a Steam removal project.

Thanks, bookmarked.

Removing Steam's DRM is relatively easy... Gog makes it better for pirates due to not needing anything at all, just the installer.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!

I generally avoid torrents due to malware. Interesting that there's a Steam removal project.

Thanks, bookmarked.

Theres places that publish the gog installers, literally identical. No drm no malware. Probably some of the torrents are using the gog installers too.

Just Locus

Educated
Why did Obsidian opt to keep this update to the beta branch of PoE? looking at the patch notes it mostly seems to be bugs and the only substantial change was the engine update. I don't see why this was necessary to keep in the beta branch outside of not wanting to do QA on what the fixes might've broken/worsened, but then that raises the question of why publish it at all.

Technomancer

Liturgist
Why did Obsidian opt to keep this update to the beta branch of PoE?
Coz its not over. They are collecting reports from community to fix most annoying bugs left and voiced desire to incorporate bug fix-mods. They also said there will be several patches and the fixing will last for a while.

The bored Obsidian employee who did this could go over the mods and fix them himself, but that'd be so surreal, we'd have to be in an alternative Marvel universe.
Saw dev mentioning they want to do exactly that.

Someone who uses social media should tell Sawyer to make previous versions of the game an option on Steam for people who don't want to lose all their mods. I have seen that for other games. It is not there as a Steam property for POE1, but it is for Stellaris. Under Betas there is a long list of previous versions you can use instead of the latest.
That's the plan.
For those that are concerned about your favorite mods that may become invalidated on Steam after the patch goes live, we are investigating moving the current live version to a legacy branch when the new patch goes live. This should allow those that wish to continue their existing playthrough with their current mods to do so. And will give some runway for any popular mods to be updated down the line. More on this as we get closer to release.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
So heres the question then, given the awful shit that has released post POE, does this game look more favorably in anyone's retrospective view? Its sort of lol that the "based eastern euros" released an incredibly pozzed game full of smut writing for redditors, while a californian marxist produced what is probably now looking like the least gay and least woke of the new wave crpgs.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So heres the question then, given the awful shit that has released post POE, does this game look more favorably in anyone's retrospective view?
The more I play newer titles the more I appreciate Pillars.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom