Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Is there someone who isn't a retard in this game? Ondra's whole shtick is absolutely bonkers, what is this broad going on about? She's worse than Hylea (~~BIRDIES AND SOONNGSS YAAAY~~), "durrr, make them forget because feelings, hurrr and if they don't want to forget (or I can't force it) GENOCIDE THEM, hurr durr, but NO! I'll tell you how to stop the Eyeless anyway, hurrr. I LURVE ABY~~". What the fuck. The whole conversation with her was cringe. The most substantial thing that came out of that convo was the fact that the gods have power over Eora, but it's always catastrophic if used directly.

Seems like the typical polytheist god, then.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I really hope we'll get to keep that talent. It would be a nice incentive to import your character(s) into PoE2, instead of just making a new one and picking out what your choices were in PoE1.

They'd probably let you make that choice in PoE2 that case.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I'm interested in playing this game but some critics I've already read here has discouraged me a bit. Is the game any good? Has have fixed it's problems in the last versions?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm interested in playing this game but some critics I've already read here has discouraged me a bit. Is the game any good? Has have fixed it's problems in the last versions?

White March 2 is good. Everything else ranges from suicide-inducing to seizure-inducing to so-so. There are very few genuinely good things about base game and WM1. If you haven't played PoE up to now at all it's worth a playthrough, but don't expect great things. If your tolerance for bullshit is high you might even enjoy it. Don't expect good writing, at least not in 99% of the game, even in WM2. Combat is clusterfucky and uncontrolled.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's only as good as combat-heavy RTwP get.
Pretty damn good in my book.

Problems? Well, the pacing is still uneven, big town still kinda sucks and just doesn't feel... alive. Stronghold is greatly improved (doesn't mean it's awesome). Combat is still clusterfucky and sometimes not clear/easy to control. I recommend slow mode for combat. But some encounters, particularly in the DLC areas, are genuinely interesting and fun.

Sentinel

Arcane
It's a 7/10 at its best moments, expansion including. If you're gonna play it, be sure to ignore the gold plated NPCs. And be sure to equally ignore Gunker's review, it was posted under a very clear agenda and does not reflect the actual game.
PS: If you're gonna try out the demo first, be sure to grab the 3.0 version.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
At its best moments is a key phrase. Although I'd give WM2 the very generous 7.5/10 and that's because I'm willing to ignore the bullshit that plagues the entire game.

Lord Andre

Arcane
I was watching this youtube video out of boredom and I immediately thought of PoE.

And I think it explains one of the game's biggest shortcomings, the tension curve of the game is badly designed at every level, macro to micro, story to gameplay, character progression to itemisation...

It also explains why BG2 was fun to play despite some of its popamole aspects.

Lacrymas

Arcane
There are some pitfalls that the character progression falls into. F.e. there is no reason not to pick up Outlander's Frenzy and Apprentice's Sneak Attack in basically any weapon-based (including fists) DPS build, unless you are incredibly feat-starved trying to come up with a novel build. In my party I picked them all up on every single DPS character (Skaen priest, Barbarian, Stormcaller Cipher, Ranger). You pick them up because there's a lack of good general feats to choose from. Some classes have really limited class-specific talents as well, like druids and priests. While class progression is much, much better than on release, there are still moments where you are wondering which talent/feat is the least shitty one.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
You pick them up because there's a lack of good general feats to choose from. Some classes have really limited class-specific talents as well, like druids and priests. While class progression is much, much better than on release, there are still moments where you are wondering which talent/feat is the least shitty one.
Can happen I guess. Did not happen much to me. Usually I wished I had more feat slots to fit everything I wanted.

Sentinel

Arcane
u wot m8
both are weaker than any D&D based game.
Character progression is far more interesting and much better then in 2nd ed. AD&D.
Itemisation with WM is also among the best I've seen.
Yeah you're correct on both accounts, however PoE is really hurt by the extreme linearity which is aggravated by the low number of party members. And then the WM items are only at the end of a 50 hour long slog. It's just not a fun game to replay imo. Personally I can barely stomach firing it up nowadays, even though I've been having the itch to replay it for some 6 months, I start up a campaign and am reminded of what tedium lies ahead of me and just give up.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
WM opens up just at the start of Act 2, after you clear Leaden Key temple in the catacombs. There's no reason to only go there after the end.

Sentinel

Arcane
Yeah but it's level 6~7th content and has level 13~15th battles. I'm one of those autists that has to 100% an area before leaving it. That's why I bruteforced the white dragon on my first way through. That was the fight I found out how useful the Druid's AoE storm is.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Yeah but it's level 6~7th content and has level 13~15th battles. I'm one of those autists that has to 100% an area before leaving it. That's why I bruteforced the white dragon on my first way through. That was the fight I found out how useful the Druid's AoE storm is.
Well I can respect your playstyle, but that doesn't mean it's the only or even the best one.
Fact is, some of the best content is available less then 1/3 into the game. If you don't level scale WM1, most/all apart from Alpine Dragon is doable at level 7/8.
Hold on, Roderick's Keep is even earlier, and that's some excellent area design also.

But I'm weird and I even liked the itemization pre-WM. I mean it's maybe not on BG2 ToB level, but for me it's comparable to vanilla BG2. Sure there are very few hard counters, but that's by design and I kinda like it that way.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I level scaled WM1 at 8th level and managed to do it all, except Alpine Dragon. The game is aggressively linear, though, that's not a lie. They like to cock-block you with nonsensical story-related gating, the worst offender being the flood that recedes at the start of Act 3. The maps are small and few, so they feel claustrophobic and are fast to clear out. We all know how bad the megadungeon is, it feels like a corridor shooter. WM1 and 2 are better in this regard, so the base game stands out even more.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Man I'm dying to play this, but why the fuck is it still like $40 4 years after release?

IDK if I believe you guys when you say it's no good.. Every Obsidian game I've played has been so much incline in terms of writing that it's hard to believe this would suck unless they made this with a different team or something. That said, I haven't played anything by them since FNV so..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom