Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
See, statements like those are why you were a poor fit to review this game. You weren't part of the months of discourse about how Josh was (supposedly) nerfing the effects of attributes to achieve balance.

No, making an Accuracy stat that gives you tons of Accuracy is not something that he would typically be thought of doing, not even by people who hate the game. Especially not by people who hate the game, in fact.

Last edited:

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Monsters will benefit from +Acc too - they'll hit harder and more often. And since there's no health healing, I'm not convinced the game is going to be more trivial, particularly on PotD (where enemies will no have more HP thanks to Con change).

A lot depends on how squishy traditional tanks are now that they have less Def. It may be yet another indirect buff to Wizard, especially if they keep Wizard defensive abilities at current level which is beyond crazy. As much as I like mages in general, I'm not looking forward to rolling a 6 Wizard party because every other class sucks.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Guys, you are all being silly.

It won't be +20, it will be +18% or something.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
No, making an Accuracy stat that gives you tons of Accuracy is not something that he would typically be thought of doing, not even by people who hate the game. Especially by people who hate the game, in fact.
+1 per level is still a big deal.

Meanwhile they don't seem to know what to do with CON, if it was dump stat at 3% it ain't that much more attractive at 5%

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
See, statements like those are why you were a poor fit to review this game. You weren't part of the months of discourse about how Josh was (supposedly) nerfing the effects of attributes to achieve balance.

No, making an Accuracy stat that gives you tons of Accuracy is not something that he would typically be thought of doing, not even by people who hate the game. Especially by people who hate the game, in fact.

i'm sorry you are right

jaedar's post is much more reflective of josh sawyer's vision

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Guys, you are all being silly.

It won't be +20, it will be +18% or something.

We already had an Accuracy stat in the game's beta and it was an absolute value though, eg: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/68689-backer-beta-build-301-is-live/
  • Perception: Accuracy and Range
    • Every point of Perception over 10 increases Accuracy by 1 and Range (for non-melee) by 5% (penalties if under 10).

+1 per level is still a big deal.

You would think Obsidian agree with that considering they removed it from the beta for the final game. Maybe it'll be 0.5? Or maybe it's another reason for you to post that GIF. :M

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
That'd be weird. Isn't everything rounded down in the game?

Yeah, what it'd mean in practice is +1 accuracy for every two points, ala 3E. I think Josh doesn't like that but maybe there won't be a choice.

Dunno though, that's not the real problem anyway. If inflated accuracy is an issue the real long-term solution would be nerfing level up bonuses, the chargen bonus is ultimately negligible.

Well either that or making all encounters in the game tougher/higher level across the board

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yeah, what it'd mean in practice is +1 accuracy for every two points, ala 3E. I think Josh doesn't like that but maybe there won't be a choice.

Dunno though, that's not the real problem anyway. If inflated accuracy is an issue the real long-term solution would be nerfing level up bonuses, the chargen bonus is ultimately negligible.

Well either that or making all encounters in the game tougher/higher level across the board
That is not ala 3E because every +5 in PoE is worth +1 in D&D.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I would consider taking rest restrictions up a notch and actually make it impossible to rest outside of inns on Path of the Damned.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
If it was an exploit, Sawyer wouldn't have allowed it to happen
IEMod -> /rest.

Anyway, rest mechanic isn't an interesting thing to discuss. When you hit rest button you simply accept that one more adventuring day is over and you have either succeeded or failed at combat tactics and resource management (depending on how long the day was). There's nothing else to it.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
When you hit the rest button you remember you are playing a game where you have to pretend there's any urgency to whatever is going on

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
When you hit the rest button you remember you are playing a game where you have to pretend there's any urgency to whatever is going on
You RP living beings that naturally need to sleep sometimes. The game world is indeed passive and reactive (i.e. absolutely nothing happens unless you trigger it, which makes the game resemble IWD more than BG) but it's not necessarily a bad thing. You can rush the main quest and go as long as possible without resting or take your time.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm not sure why a discussion about the patch beta (that can only be used with base game content for the next few weeks) belongs in the expansion thread but okay. :M

Probably should have started a new thread but oh well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

By the way it's confirmed that 1 point of perception is 1 point of accuracy.

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign

Who gives a shit about that? That's a very small piece of the pie when it comes to the actual gameplay. Even if he didn't get the specifics right about the system, he was able to identify the same problems with it as I had, and I was a person who was involved in that process.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Not sure what you even mean but he means the dead spots in attributes
I know what he means, but it is not a valid comparison because for two points in D&D you get +1 attack and +1 damage, here you would get +1 accuracy which is actually only 1/5 of the D&D bonus because D&D works on d20 scale and POE works on d100 scale. In D&D it is like that so the bonuses don't go overboard from attributes, while in PoE the measly +1 for every 2 points is terrible.

Starwars

Arcane
Not that interesting to watch, though the scripted interactions seems to be nicely expanded.

Interviewer is a tard asking shitty questions.

EDIT: Ooh, ice burn.

Interviewer: "So will the other part of the expansion be called White March part 2?"
Josh: "No, it'll be called part 3."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom