Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Does anyone know if Armored Grace stacks fully with Durgan Steel on weapons/armor? I'll probably respec and take something else if most of the talent goes to waste

It does stack. Durgan doesn't stack with those gloves that reduce armour penalty though.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Well they removed scouting effecting finding stuff but I think it still have a little effect as things were revealing without scouting for me(v3.05) but sometimes just as I entered scouting things were revealed. Someone in Obs forums said, scouting adds a little bonus to perception so this is why it happens :M

A bonus to mechanics. Perception has nothing to do with it, Josh wouldn't add such an ad hoc rule.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
So, why is Durance not at his usual spot at Magran's Fork? Do you have to be level 3 or something? Or have to talk to the dwarf woman first (gag)?

Last edited:

Quillon

Arcane
If you don't reach there soon enough, he's killing himself, you can find the corpse at the top right corner of the map, wolves eating it.

But seriously, MCA sued Obs so they deleted him and GM from the game.

Then again, he should be there, your game's prolly broken.

Lacrymas

Arcane
You have to talk to the dwarf woman. Ok, so in a party of me (Priest of Skaen), Barbarian, Paladin tank, Durance and GM, what would be the best 6th party member - druid, ranger or chanter? Discuss!!!1!one!!!1

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I find Chanter to be the most boring class by far. The idea is neat on paper but in effect it's just an auto hitter that provides a passive buff and then once in a rare while you check in to cast a spell

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I loved chanters, those summons and stuns saved me so many times and I could never go wrong with faster ranged attacks.

Lacrymas

Arcane
My reasoning is this - since I already have two and a half casters (me, Durance and GM) and two and a half melee (me, paladin and barbarian) I need something different. Chanter is obviously a buff bot, so that's why I included it OR I make a druid into caster DPS/CC (those AoE stunlocks lol) OR I make a ranger ranged physical DPS with the added bonus of an off-tank if I need it (the animal). Maybe ranged rogue? I don't want it to steal my sneak attack spotlight, though. No wizards please.

Lacrymas

Arcane
^ you can't. Only X amount of hireling slots until you reach a certain level

I can semi-confirm now that this isn't true. I'm level 2 and just "bought" 3 hirelings with the option to buy a 4th one, but I don't have the money. It's semi-confirmed because I don't have the money to test if it's going to let me do it for real lol.

EDIT: Confirmed it, I got all slots filled up at level 3, if you somehow have money before that you can fill them up at 2 as well.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
My reasoning is this - since I already have two and a half casters (me, Durance and GM) and two and a half melee (me, paladin and barbarian) I need something different. Chanter is obviously a buff bot, so that's why I included it OR I make a druid into caster DPS/CC (those AoE stunlocks lol) OR I make a ranger ranged physical DPS with the added bonus of an off-tank if I need it (the animal). Maybe ranged rogue? I don't want it to steal my sneak attack spotlight, though. No wizards please.

Druid is okay, the heals are great and the stuns are very strong. But I'd make a ranger for easy disposal of enemy casters in the back. Plus the pet is excellent at off-tanking and tearing apart anything that gets to your back row OR tearing apart anything, when focusing on it together with the ranger. Just don't make it charge forward and get aggro, as it dies fast (flanking and going to enemy back row once the front row is engaged is often possible).
With the Stormcaller bow you can even simulate a weak druid aoe stunning - in every battle!

Prime Junta

Ranged rogues are meh. If you want a ranged character, ranger or cipher is the way to go, and you already have GM, which leaves the ranger. I would've suggested a wizard built to max out implement damage, but you said no to wizards.

You're currently loaded really heavily with buffs, what with two priests. If you use them right it'll make you plumb near unkillable. I think you are lacking a little in the direct damage department -- even if GM will pack a serious punch --, and you have a lot of casters to manage. So I say go with a ranger (ranged weapons, not melee). Sagani is competent, it's a shame you want to murder her -- I'd have expected that snooty twit Aloth would be the obvious sacrificial choice for a Skaenite, or possibly Pallegina with her airs and graces, rather than a mother-of-five on a thankless quest to server her community.

eXalted

Arcane
Druid is okay, the heals are great and the stuns are very strong.
Calling_the_worlds_maw_icon.jpg
:smug:

Seriously, this thing is only Level 4.

cannondwarf

Scholar
Does anyone know if Armored Grace stacks fully with Durgan Steel on weapons/armor? I'll probably respec and take something else if most of the talent goes to waste

It does stack. Durgan doesn't stack with those gloves that reduce armour penalty though.
So, if my attack speed/recovery goes beyond 0, are actions sped up? Or attack speed and recovery different things?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Decided to go with a ranger in the end.

Sagani is competent, it's a shame you want to murder her -- I'd have expected that snooty twit Aloth would be the obvious sacrificial choice for a Skaenite, or possibly Pallegina with her airs and graces, rather than a mother-of-five on a thankless quest to server her community.

I don't want to give her to the blood pool because of RP reasons, but because of the buff. She's the only one who gives perception bonus AND +2 accuracy when attacking the same target as an ally.

Anyway, cleared out Magran's Fork, coming from BG1 the combat is very clusterfucky and it feels 10 times faster (in a bad way). I might start using slow mode.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Different things. Actual attack animation speed is ONLY influenced by Dex.
Recovery is influenced by various factors, some of which stack, some don't. Most are additive, but modals (and dual-wielding bonus) are multiplicative. Not dual-wielding brings a recovery penalty (lessened by using a durganized shield). Going beyond 0 Recovery time doesn't change anything.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
I did play the combat on slow mode whole game through, feels much more organic and you can issue people better during some of the easier encounters without it being a chore. Although I have to say, and this is a design failure, the game's combat feels clunky and bland overall until you get a full party and at least 2nd level skills. So Raedric's hold is usually the start of "real" combat which is the experience for remainder of something 90 hours.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
I did play the combat on slow mode whole game through, feels much more organic and you can issue people better during some of the easier encounters without it being a chore. Although I have to say, and this is a design failure, the game's combat feels clunky and bland overall until you get a full party and at least 2nd level skills. So Raedric's hold is usually the start of "real" combat which is the experience for remainder of something 90 hours.

Slow mode, particularly for tougher encounters is a good idea.
However I cannot agree with the statement that the combat is bland without level 2 skills. Low level characters in PoE have way more tools and their combat is much more interesting then in BG or other low-level DnD content.

Parabalus

Arcane
So, if my attack speed/recovery goes beyond 0, are actions sped up? Or attack speed and recovery different things?

q1Kf7Q8.png

faMjj2p.png

Credits.

TLDR. is dexterity (attackspeed) and recovery stack except for a small flat interval, meaning that the closer you get to 0 you get (marginally) less benefit, UNTIL you hit 0 recovery and that flat amount is removed entirely. Basically you want both.

A bit late to the party, but chanters are a bit borked balance wise, the +25% fire damage chant is bugged and works on spells instead of just weapons. They work better in ranged parties (ie. if your priest was ranged) since, as you can glance from the tables above, sure-handed ila massively increases party ranged damage.

If you want a druid Hiravias is sick because his Staelgar has a higher base damage than stock forms, he can easily hit 120+ DMG per blow when shifted.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Is there a point to wearing armor without stats at all on someone that isn't a tank lol? I'm currently wearing plain clothes and have 3 of my other peeps naked.
I just booted it up to check if I my mind was becoming addled, but nope. In Gilded Vale, I can only hire a single hireling at first. Is there some option I haven't turned on?

How are you testing it? Are you hiring them and then the button disappears or you just see the one button, or the UI says you can't hire more? You have to hire one first before you can hire another one, but I think that's obvious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom