Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity Released

Drowed

Arcane
Now we will have to wait and see how moddable this game will end up being.

(Not that I believe that there will be modders with ability to create maps on the same level of what we see on the game, but at least in a matter of balancing and adjustments, probably it would be very good start.)

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Get up this morning ready to at least create my protagonist before work. 1.2gig patch... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU (apparently pre-loading was just prickteasing)
Going home for lunch to get my dice rolling on.
Can't wait to sit down with this for a good 10 hour session!

Black

Arcane
I always knew they had it in them, I've loved them since KOTOR 2, but Pillars of Eternity is the definitive proof that Obsidian can make their own way in the universe.

I'm barely 3 hours in but the game is excellent so far - and full of story and text, which suits me to the bone. I was worried it would be an IWD clone, but no. All the comparisons to BG/IE do the game a disservice, it is so much better.

Obsidian seem to have put care and polish into everything, there is no indication the game was made by a small team on a small budget. Even the interface - something Obsidian have struggled with in previous games - is excellent. If only Wasteland 2 had this level of craftsmanship.

Obsidian have set the bar pretty fucking high, inXile have got a lot to live up to with Torment.
Keep in mind the same shit happened to DOS- retards started spouting how it's "modern bg". With POE you at least understand some of it since it's supposed to be almost a nostalgia trip, together with rtwp and shit but for many fucks bg is the oldestest and hardcorestes bg to have come ever.

Korron

Cipher
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Just got into the first town, and oh man this feels like an IE game so far. Playing a Wild Orlan Cipher. It always seems like there are fewer portrait options for the stranger races. I really like double-time speed. It seems like I have a lot of options for how to build the character as far as weapon specialization, focus in class vs other perks, and possibly class abilities (not sure how divergent intra-class specialization is). Introduction of whom I assume is the main villain brought back some Irenicus nostalgia.

Tempted to seriously abandon my WL2 progress (and I think I'm almost done with the never-ending desert) in favor of this for the time being.

So after watching the launch trailer Youtube's immediate suggestion for what I should watch next is Tim Curry's 'Sweet Transvestite' from RHPS.

Not bothered, but a bit perplexed.

skyst

Augur
Loving the game so far. I was concerned after playing the backer beta but am fully engrossed now.

The 'Path of the Damned' difficulty is fantastic. At least at low levels (first town, associated dungeon), positioning and every ability activation seems really important to winning the encounter. Died a few times so far too.

I'll probably reroll soon (always do), but I started with a Rogue with max dexterity, perception and intelligence. They seemed the most useful for dialogue-type skill checks. The plan was to combine high action speed, high interrupt and long-duration disabling abilities like blinding and crippling strike delivered with a bow or possibly gun. Seems viable so far, but I'm not quite sold on the interrupt aspect of it - just not seeing the results from it. It has been fun chaining disables and raking in the sneak attacks, though.

The first dungeon has been an exercise in humility.

Interrupt is weak as.
When the early release version of POE was introduced I spent a lot of time looking over the combat etc, and did not some of what I saw with respect to how it measured up to IWD etc..I know you spent an enormous amount of time an energy trying to fix many of the these issues, but I stopped paying attention some months ago. In your estimation how is the game and combat now compared to when it was first released? How do you think it measures up to IWD/BG as far as the RTwP combat is concerned?

BTW, thanks for all the time you put into helping improve the game, you are a true bro.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
It's improved on some of the aspects of combat while being worse in others. It's definitely more interesting at lower levels, and there's more stuff to do (active abilities). Character building is definitely quite good. Actual combat feel could still use a little bit of work, and has a few issues. ATM I'm getting extremely pissed off by disable auto-attack not working correctly.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
This game is beautiful is all I can say right now. I'll have to get a proper computer in order to play it because my laptop isn't powerful enough. Still...fucking beautiful. This is what the proper transition from 90's era 2D games into modern graphics should have looked like.

DemonKing

Arcane
Took the day off here in Aussieland...been waiting for this for ages. Played for about 7 hours and seem to have barely scratched the surface.

I'm not disappointed so far - the game is fairly intuitive if you are an IE veteran despite the non D&D ruleset. Graphics and Music are excellent and the spell-casting characters have a nice variety of different spells/functions (I like how wizards can pinch spells from other people's books). The game is definitely more Baldur's Gate than Icewind Dale though in terms of being fairly non-linear and not so combat heavy as well as the main protagonist being a *shudder* chosen one.

Also, it seem Obsidian may somehow have managed to produce a non-buggy game.

I already feel the need for an expansion + sequel.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Also, it seem Obsidian may somehow have managed to produce a non-buggy game.

Fear not, there are still a bunch of bugs there, including one that seems to permanently remove your racial bonus. They just aren't as obvious as usual.

First impressions after an hour or two of dicking around (went in practically blind, though in interest of fairness I do have to admit a personal dislike of Mr. Balance and some of his work from what little I followed game development).

Story so far: somehow I was expecting something a little more imaginative than "you witness someone doing some bad shit" as an initial plot hook, but I'm sure there's a lot more to it and the game will deliver on this front.

Combat at the first glance: clunky. Unfortunately, compared to IE that's the first things that comes to my mind after an hour or two of playing. There's a lot more things going on in less time, and micromanagement looks to be pretty important for many classes, while the feedback just doesn't seem to be as good as in the IE games (suddenly I lose most of my health - in IE I could easily identify who and how did that, here I need to hunt down happened in the combat log).

But hey, maybe it'll grow on me. Maybe.

Other stuff: liked lots of opportunity for stat / skill tests, music is utterly unremarkable so far, going to mod the UI the first chance I get, don't like percentage values all over everything, really don't like how little the stats seem to matter, my fighter-mage wizard indeed sucks ass.

Going to continue after work.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I enjoyed ALL the Kickstarter RPG's I backed: W2, D:OS, DS. They all gave me that 'fix' of old RPG style nostalgia.

But this is something else entirely. This isn't just a 'homage' or 'EE' type of cash grab, preying on the memories of jaded gamers yearning for the old days. This is a game that IS a natural continuation of those and the feeling I get when playing is incredible. I can't stop my grinning as it gave me EXACTLY the same feeling like I had at the end of the 90's when playing such games. Not in a 'heh, they included this too, just like then' kind of way but an emotion born in isolation, without reference to a past age. While playing I just feel that this is right and how it should be and has always been. Hard to describe really....

But I'm glad I was a part of it and that I shelled out for the signed copy, this truly is the incline that I've been waiting for(remember mainstream reviews loved IE games too, so that's nothing to disqualify this, rather it points at the continued universal appeal of this type of game). Obsidian have finally come of age and have picked up the torch they were edging towards with false starts and distractions.

Fabulous!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You guys sound way more positive than we did while bickering during pre-release.

Could it be? Did they really do it? I am so tempted to impulse-buy. Rent comes first, though!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
i do not know

i do know, however, that i will derive many laughs, and possibly much hate, from watching the codex jizzing all over something that is pure distilled mediocrity

i'd love to see the reactions to eternity if it was not made by obsidian

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is the 1st KS that is actually sending me my physical goodies when the game releases!! Just received this email:

Hi,

We thought you'd like to know that we shipped your items, and that this completes your order.

If you have any questions about your purchase please contact us at http://www.paradoxplaza.com/support

Please do not reply to this message.

Your order was shipped via USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate Medium Box, and is estimated to arrive March 30, 2015 - March 31, 2015.

The following items were included in this shipment:

1 x Pillars of Eternity Playing Card Deck (POEPLAYINGCARDS)
1 x Mouse pads for the Pillars of Eternity game (POEMOUSEPAD)
1 x Pillars of Eternity Original Soundtrack CD (POESOUNDTRACKCD)
1 x Pillars of Eternity Tee - Large (POE-TSHIRT-LG)
1 x Thank you Postcard for Pillars of Eternity (POEPOSTCARD)
1 x Signed Collector's Box Pillars of Eternity (POECEBOXSIGN)

This shipment was sent to:

It is even shipped Priority and will be here in just a few days!!!
:yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah:

V_K

Arcane
i do not know

i do know, however, that i will derive many laughs, and possibly much hate, from watching the codex jizzing all over something that is pure distilled mediocrity

i'd love to see the reactions to eternity if it was not made by obsidian
For maximum lulz you should do the Codex review. It will be even more glorious than the current AoD re-preview.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I would prefer a review from someone who really enjoyed BG and BG2.

Tough luck, Vault Dweller is doing the review. :troll:

(It's actually going to be a Vault Dweller/Grunker joint production, so best of both worlds I guess)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom