Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter Update #69: Pledge Management Portal, Gameplay Teaser, Interviews

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, that was my first thought as well. Maybe referring to it as just "Eternity" will do.

Dexter

Arcane
BTW I are confuse. Release date: Winter 2014?

What the fuck does that mean? The game is far from being finished, they just announced some additional stretch goals, and they still want to release it in 4 months? I smell bullshit.

Unless they want to release it in the last week of December 2014. That makes just a bit more sense.
I'm not sure what you are trying to say with 4 months till Winter 2014, but I'm pretty sure the game won't come out till at least Early/Mid 2015 and held that belief from the very start of their campaign. It's Obsidian after all, look at South Park.

bonescraper

I'm not sure what you are trying to say with 4 months till Winter 2014, but I'm pretty sure the game won't come out till at least Early/Mid 2015 and held that belief from the very start of their campaign. It's Obsidian after all, look at South Park.
Uh, sorry, i meant within 4 months. Because that's what "winter 2014" implied. Now it just says "2014", so it's irrelevant.

Arkeus

Arcane
Uh, sorry, i meant within 4 months. Because that's what "winter 2014" implied. Now it just says "2014", so it's irrelevant.
'Winter 2014' implies in a year.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I've always thought "Winter 2014" would obviously mean about Q4/2014. If It'd be January-April 2014 then it'd be spring 2014, duh.

bonescraper

I've always thought "Winter 2014" would obviously mean about Q4/2014. If It'd be January-April 2014 then it'd be spring 2014, duh.
Maybe on your planet. Here, on Earth, winter begins on 22 December. Well, unless you live in some fucked up remote place like Australia or New Zeland.

Spring in January, that's rich.

Arkeus

Arcane
Maybe on your planet. Here, on Earth, winter begins on 22 December. Well, unless you live in some fucked up remote place like Australia or New Zeland.

Spring in January, that's rich.
If Winter begins in december, then Winter 2014 is in a year- you count the year it begins in, not the year it ends in.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

What the fuck does that mean? The game is far from being finished, they just announced some additional stretch goals, and they still want to release it in 4 months? I smell bullshit.

Unless they want to release it in the last week of December 2014. That makes just a bit more sense.
Obsidian doesn't have the money to continue development past their planned timetable. We can actually make an educated guess about when the game will be done - update 67 gave us a spreadsheet that showed they have 6 production milestones, then 2 alpha and 2 beta milestones before release. They were in production 1 (possibly finished with it) during update 62 which was released in August, and they're finished with production 3 now since that milestone had the press demo as part of it. They've probably already moved into production 4 while the backer site was finished. I don't remember which update it was in, but each production stage was supposed to last 6 weeks, and that's consistent with what we've seen so far. If the beta and alpha also last 6 weeks per milestone then the game will be ready for release in September of next year.

Dexter

Arcane

Obsidian doesn't have the money to continue development past their planned timetable. We can actually make an educated guess about when the game will be done - update 67 gave us a spreadsheet that showed they have 6 production milestones, then 2 alpha and 2 beta milestones before release. They were in production 1 (possibly finished with it) during update 62 which was released in August, and they're finished with production 3 now since that milestone had the press demo as part of it. They've probably already moved into production 4 while the backer site was finished. I don't remember which update it was in, but each production stage was supposed to last 6 weeks, and that's consistent with what we've seen so far. If the beta and alpha also last 6 weeks per milestone then the game will be ready for release in September of next year.
Neither did Double Fine or InXile or any number of other KickStarters, then they either have to put some of their own money into the project seeing as they are counting on reaping the rewards or they just find other ways for getting more money (like asking people about additional "Stretch Goals"). It's Obsidian we are talking about here, the game will definitely not come out before 2015.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Neither did Double Fine or InXile or any number of other KickStarters, then they either have to put some of their own money into the project seeing as they are counting on reaping the rewards or they just find other ways for getting more money (like asking people about additional "Stretch Goals"). It's Obsidian we are talking about here, the game will definitely not come out before 2015.

And the Wasteland 2 beta will definitely be delayed into 2014. Oh wait

Don't understand how people can be so sure about these things. We won't know until well into 2014 whether the game will be delayed further or not. For now, they say they're on schedule.

“The funny thing is, you would think that with all the constraints with the Kickstarter, it would cause a lot of issues and problems,” Adler grins. “But it’s almost the opposite, to some extent. Because we have certain constraints, budgetary concerns and whatnot, we’re actually more lean and mean and efficient in what we do. We end up getting a lot more done, I think, because we’re taking special care every single time we do something. Does this fit in the game? What’s the best way to do this?”

“Let’s make sure we get it right the first time.”

Dexter

Arcane
And the Wasteland 2 beta will definitely be delayed into 2014. Oh wait
RZ6eBIl.png

Did they deliver on time or not? :lol:

Don't understand how people can be so sure about these things. We won't know until well into 2014 whether the game will be delayed further or not. For now, they say they're on schedule.
uQirrFM.png

Also why did they already push the release date back a few months to "Winter 2014" if they are so sure and "on schedule"? :roll:

I've said this before a few times and I stand by it (in one of the threads you even argue that Wasteland 2 is definitely coming out this year): http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...d-beta-testing-in-october.84895/#post-2769128
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ter-adventure-game.69252/page-29#post-2741391
Let's call it an educated guess.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also why did they already push the release date back a few months to "Winter 2014" if they are so sure and "on schedule"? :roll:

Because Kickstarter makes you set a release date before you know how much money you'll get. Same for Wasteland 2. The date on Kickstarter doesn't count for shit.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Eternity is definitely getting delayed until 2015 if they meet those companion stretch goals. :M

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Or they hire another writer. They have other companion writers in the company - South Park will be finishing up early next year so ...

Could be a ploy for more time though true :P

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think it's fair to assume with a larger budget and scope, the game will take longer.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Wilderness Areas: Environment Art outsourced. Majority of the time taken up for that = no issue.

Level Design, Paintover and Testing = trivial compared to that.

Companions: Extra writer

Requires more testing, scrutiny, level design time etc

If that's how they do it it might take longer, but not by much.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Wilderness Areas: Environment Art outsourced. Majority of the time taken up for that = no issue.

Level Design, Paintover and Testing = trivial compared to that.

Companions: Extra writer

Requires more testing, scrutiny, level design time etc

If that's how they do it it might take longer, but not by much.

"Not by much" might still be enough to push it into early 2015 though.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I know it doesn't really matter, but I can't be the only one hating the name.
Of course, KOTOR 2 and MotB had pretty dreadful names or subtitles too, so we know it's not important to success. But damn, pillars?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Pillars of Eternity is a pretty funny name :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom