Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I suggest we make Randal into an NPC if the Codex campaign reaches the appropriate amount :love:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
KipTeZv.png

willsmithsurprised_zpsbf418514.gif

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
More Levels? Meh. PoE1 + TWM had lackluster ending capabilities.

More Subclasses? Meh. Knowing Josh it will be something like +1% hits to crits, -1 to Deflection.
I disagree about the subclass/class kits. That has the most potential in my opinion. Take the Black Jacket class kit for fighter (I still hate the name), you get better weapon modals, faster weapon switch, and you do more damage when you use the optimal weapon vs. armor type. The tradeoff is less accuracy. Another example is that ranger kit with the ghost pet summon.

Granted, we also have some weak ones, like the monk class kit that plays off consumables and drugs. Therefore, I think the quality will vary, but the potential for fluffy builds is there.

Randal confuses me, there is nothing in PoE to inspire such warm-hearted devotion (this is even too soft a word).
The alternative is Fluent, and I think we got the superior mascot.

Last edited:

Sizzle

Arcane
More Subclasses? Meh. Knowing Josh it will be something like +1% hits to crits, -1 to Deflection.

Tricky. On the one hand - they can easily expand base classes with greater specializations (like they said they would do with the Rogue's Assassin sub-class) that can turn out more interesting and fun to play.

But on the other, I'm afraid they'll overdo it with stuff like the Monk's sub-class "The Nalpazca gain greater benefits from using drugs, but their Wound threshold is increased while under the influence.", which doesn't sound neither particularly fun, nor all that significantly different from the base class - just a simple bonus to drug effects. If, for example, the sub-class was something like Bare-Chested Monk, which could only fight without armor, but gained significant martial prowess (kinda like the Kensai Fighter kit from BG2), then that would have been both different and challenging.

Take the Black Jacket class kit for fighter (I still hate the name), you get better weapon modals, faster weapon switch, and you do more damage when you use the optimal weapon vs. armor type. The tradeoff is less accuracy.
+1 Accuracy and +1% Damage of weapon modals, -1% to weapon switch time, +1 DR Penetration when targeting opponent's weakest DR,-3 Accuracy. Maybe the bonus and Malus can be tweaked a bit more for :balance: :lol:

Another example is that ranger with the ghost pet.
+1% resistance to charm animal, +1% damege recieved to Palladin's banish.

Granted, we also have some weak ones, like the monk class kit that plays off consumables and drugs.
This one seems very close to monk style as Sizzle pointed out.
-1% duration to drugs crash, +1 to wound threshold.

EDIT: Come on Tron, Knowing jes's attitude and design choices in PoE is this really a shitpost? Admit it there i a big chance class kits turn out like this.

Last edited:

Hyperion

Arcane

No, it doesn't have a pet at all. It makes the pet a temporary, active ability. I would like to see them make at least 1 sub-class viable for a melee build. Melee Rangers weren't really feasible in PoE1 as all of the talents focused on ranged abilities.

No, it doesn't have a pet at all. It makes the pet a temporary, active ability. I would like to see them make at least 1 sub-class viable for a melee build. Melee Rangers weren't really feasible in PoE1 as all of the talents focused on ranged abilities.
Well i won't cling to that hope. jes wouldn't make it too radical and balance it in the expansion patches to lackluster neutered meh things as he did for the Cypher over the course of PoE+TWM.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
EDIT: Come on Tron, Knowing jes's attitude and design choices in PoE is this really a shitpost? Admit it there i a big chance class kits turn out like this.

Abilities and items that grant +1% to a stat are not a thing that exists in Pillars of Eternity. 20%-50% is typical. Absolute modifiers are usually +5, +10.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Nalpazca is the class kit that I was thinking of. That class kit sounds boring to me. Otherwise, I think the Black Jacket kit (is this really the best name they could think of?) is decent. The kit allows players to build a character around weapon switching and modals. Moreover, you can pick a kit for every class you multiclass. If I understood the update correctly, you can pick rogue and then multiclass into fighter for a single level to get the Black Jacket kit. With that combination, you receive both the Black Jacket weapon bonus and the rogue sneak attack bonus.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
If I understood the update correctly, you can pick rogue and then multiclass into fighter for a single level to get the Black Jacket kit. With that combination, you receive both the Black Jacket weapon bonus and the rogue sneak attack bonus.

39 sorcerer/1 paladin hoooo!

Perkel

Arcane
I disagree about the subclass/class kits. That has the most potential in my opinion. Take the Black Jacket class kit for fighter (I still hate the name), you get better weapon modals, faster weapon switch, and you do more damage when you use the optimal weapon vs. armor type. The tradeoff is less accuracy.

That is exactly what Sawyer esque design looks like which is shit.

Here is how it should look like:

- You cannot take weapon skills that focuses on one group or single weapon type.
- You cannot use modals
- All weapons get increased penetration against weak spot of armor
- You can switch weapons qicker (+60% to changing weapon speed)
- All weapons now can maim enemies giving various debufs like broken leg (-50% to movement speed)

Now THIS is a kit that changes a lot in how you play.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
That is exactly what Sawyer esque design looks like which is shit.

Here is how it should look like:

- You cannot take weapon skills that focuses on one group or single weapon type.
- You cannot use modals
- All weapons get increased penetration against weak spot of armor
- You can switch weapons qicker (+60% to changing weapon speed)
- All weapons now can maim enemies giving various debufs like broken leg (-50% to movement speed)

Now THIS is a kit that changes a lot in how you play.
I do not disagree, but I still think the kits have a lot of potential. Currently, I can only think of four kits revealed so far (Black Jacket, Assassin, Hippie monk, and Ghost Dog Whisperer for Ranger), and so there are plenty we have not seen yet.

I am more interested in how they will handle Priests. As far as I understood the update/QA, each deity will act as a class kit. Does that mean different spells, restrictions, etc?

Nalpazca is the class kit that I was thinking of. That class kit sounds boring to me. Otherwise, I think the Black Jacket kit (is this really the best name they could think of?) is decent. The kit allows players to build a character around weapon switching and modals. Moreover, you can pick a kit for every class you multiclass. If I understood the update correctly, you can pick rogue and then multiclass into fighter for a single level to get the Black Jacket kit. With that combination, you receive both the Black Jacket weapon bonus and the rogue sneak attack bonus.

What if the class and class kit bonuses are tied to power source level?
+2% bonus at lv1, +1% bonuses every 3rd level after the 1st. So dipping into other classes for a level and going for a classkit won't be as glosrious as you imagine.

Perkel hit the spot for what a classkit should behave like which is obviously not going to happen with jes calling the shots.

Abilities and items that grant +1% to a stat are not a thing that exists in Pillars of Eternity. 20%-50% is typical. Absolute modifiers are usually +5, +10.
But all the abilities felt so lackluster in PoE due to HP bloat and abilities being so underwhelming.
I mean damage difference with 3 Might and 18 might wasn't that big of a deal. Something like a 3 str fighter tank (without that finesse feat) would suck horribly in baldurs gate.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Melee Rangers weren't really feasible in PoE1 as all of the talents focused on ranged abilities.
They are feasable. Maybe a little gimped, as you won't be using some of its talents, but I've been playing a melee ranger in PotD in my last 2 playthroughs and it works pretty damn well. Just build around your pet and you'll be fine.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
What if the class and class kit bonuses are tied to power source level?
+2% bonus at lv1, +1% bonuses every 3rd level after the 1st. So dipping into other classes for a level and going for a classkit won't be as glosrious as you imagine.
As far as I understood it, powerlevel determines the strength of abilities and what abilities you have access to, whereas class kits were just feats (Black Jacket receives quick switch and modals from the beginning).

Where are you getting that class kits are tied to powerlevel?

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
This is the full post Josh was replying to btw:

MNSPJzY.png

More Basic Chunnel posts:
NKyW4Jv.png

kKPp7lo.png

Last edited:

2house2fly

Magister
This is the full post Josh was replying to btw:

MNSPJzY.png

More Basic Chunnel posts:

NKyW4Jv.png

kKPp7lo.png
Dude if you start reposting not just Sawyer's posts but the posts of people he interacts with, you're going to give yourself an aneurysm.

Last edited by a moderator:

Perkel

Arcane
Well he does make a fine point. You walk into Copper Coronet and from get go you have like 7 different things to it from few companions, 3-4 HUGE quests to take, kind of hidden brothel and underground slave/animal pens fighting pits which btw is also quest you can take and deal with.

Defiance Bay hardly can top that in what you can do and that is just small bar in one district. In same district you have also like 2 more bigger quest if i remember it right and some small stuff too.

Deleted Member 16721

I disagree about the subclass/class kits. That has the most potential in my opinion.

Kits are a huge addition, IMO. Not only to this game but for any game that has them. It opens up unique "emergent" gameplay in that you have to take certain trade-offs and in some cases play the game differently, and often more creatively. The more unique the restrictions and even the more restrictive they are, the more re-playability that comes as well as more unique elements that are added dynamically in the gameplay.

TLDR; Kits are cool. Really cool. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom