Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm kind of surprised they shot their load all in one post wrt the factions. That's every teaser image and quote explained now except the very last one.

I'm not sure about the timescale of the game but depending on how long passes between Eothas destroying Caed Nua and the PC arriving in Deadfire, could the "luminous adra" be caused by Eothas's presence/activities in the region? The update implies it's been around for a while but is new enough that multiple factions are still bickering over it.

Fun to see Fulvano back, his story was a cute thing to stumble across in the early game of Pillars.

Have to get the factions out of the way to make way for the NEW FACTION ADDED stretch goal

Rev

Arcane
Fergy about the new "Endless islands" in relation to complains about Poe1 Endless path

https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fusers%2Fprofile_images%2Fd4fa69cd78b5e5f5f6975cf35dce6fc8e9787f11%2Foriginal.png%3F1439917264

Feargus
DEVELOPER

We have really thought about the feedback, and we are being careful about scope. So, we will be all good here.
I was the one asking about this issue in the update comments. I've now asked him if they plan to put a cap to the maximum number of islands they'll make to ensure they don't go overboard with the scope. Let's see if he (or someone else) answers that as well.

2house2fly

Magister
The last one was Eothas, duh.
The symbol was Eothas, but was it Eothas talking? The quote didn't seem that godlike to me, and I wonder if Eothas has got himself a Champion or Avatar or whatever for the player to actually interact with.

I always thought he was the corpse you found at Anslög's Compass.
"Dead Vailian" yeah, with a few dead characters carrying his stuff in other maps and notes strewn around about what a pathetic backwater the Dyrwood is. Oh wait, is this what Fergus meant when he said they'd be doing "something like" bringing back a defeated foe?

Sentinel

Arcane
The last one was Eothas, duh.
The symbol was Eothas, but was it Eothas talking? The quote didn't seem that godlike to me, and I wonder if Eothas has got himself a Champion or Avatar or whatever for the player to actually interact with.
I don't know if it was Eothas or not, but "Come then, Watcher, and watch" sounds like the antagonist taunting the player.
Can't help but wonder who'll voice Eothas.

Hyperion

Arcane
I was the one asking about this issue in the update comments. I've now asked him if they plan to put a cap to the maximum number of islands they'll make to ensure they don't go overboard with the scope. Let's see if he (or someone else) answers that as well.
https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_body_images%2Fimages%2F85e1f93115ef9c6df73443923407e156f987d2eb%2Foriginal.png%3F1486521662

Could just be a design choice, but it's possible they'll go no higher than 6 Islands, if each node is 1.

2house2fly

Magister
Fun to see Fulvano back, his story was a cute thing to stumble across in the early game of Pillars.

I always thought he was the corpse you found at Anslög's Compass.

Me too. Still could be, I guess... there's nothing that says Fulvano's exploration of Dreadfire didn't occur first (i.e. before his (fatal) trip to Dyrwood), is there?
That's what I'm thinking, he was meant to be a storied traveler after all.

Prime Junta

default_profile-b2dbaec72a86b47b17161ae47527536fbd5323b1f5331a78085a0ddac2dd2d7f.jpg

brennecke
DEVELOPER

It should read "The Deadfire Archipelago spans thousands of miles and is comprised of hundreds of islands". This was not Paul's fault - we introduced the typo when transcribing it over to the fig website.

Somebody needs to tell them about copy-paste.

Sentinel

Arcane
"o-our writers are still good guys p-please don't worry i-it was merely a transcription error"
damage control
Sad!

Last edited:

Prime Junta

https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fusers%2Fprofile_images%2Fd4fa69cd78b5e5f5f6975cf35dce6fc8e9787f11%2Foriginal.png%3F1439917264

Feargus
DEVELOPER

Not to try to win you over, but I did think the way Adam and the team were thinking about it was cool. The idea being that a good number of people play an RPG a certain percent through, but don't finish. You (me included) then start a new game with a different character build to experience the game in a different way. This NG+ idea gives you the option to have a benefit from that previous partial play through. Again, not trying to sell you too much, but I think it's kind of interesting idea.

As a serial non-finisher of games, I approve this message.

lordgarm

Literate
I'm not a big fan of the concept of NG+ in general but it's optional so whatever. Well, I hope it is...

An example of a non-optional NG+ would be to have every new character affected by the user's in-game achievements. I don't know who would ever do this in the first place, but who knows...

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm very unlikely to make another playtrough ever. In fact PoE was the first game in a long time I bought the expansions/DLC for and am considering a second playtrough.
I generally don't buy DLCs. Unless they are already available when I buy the main game (and I do buy a lot of heavily discounted not-necessarily-new games). In fact cRPGs are usually the only games I might be willing to spend full price to buy near launch - if I'm really interested.
I may scrap the initial character/party a few times and restart - but generally that happens very early in game. So the bonuses/maluses wouldn't really apply to me.
Afterwards I will either push trough to the end or drop the game altogether.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
remember to try and catch the Q/A with Sawyer live, last time they answered Twitch chat questions by virtue of having no other choice, best way to try and get JOsh with the hard ones.

erickaqua

Educated

Yeah, I'm puzzled with that too, why don't they put China first based on this chart? It seems to be a great investment, and I personally would instantly pledge (glorified pre-order kek) it if it's available in Chinese for language training. Not to mention that translation between simplified and traditional Chinese can be done almost instantly with machine translation too.
But then again, they probably haven't found any good translation services yet (translating English to Asian languages, and vice versa are notoriously hard).

Sentinel

Arcane
"o-our writers are still good guys p-please don't worry i-it was merely a transcription error"
damage control
Sad!

Is Chris Avellone paying you for spamming hate on this game and devs? The effort is too much for simply dislilking the game. Must be some kind of business behind
No, playing Tyranny did that to me. No need for MCA to pay me, I'll do it for free if it means Obsidian gets rid of its current hack "writers". I seriously hope they get rid of prose all together, or at least reduce it significantly so I don't have to read cringe-worthy descriptions of sensations that don't make any sense.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom