Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Artyoan

Arbiter
I need Durance in my PoE life.

Rev

Arcane
Is that a quote from Palegina? Guess so because of the suns and the feather, but can't remember when she said that.

Sannom

Augur
I haven't tried this in PoE but heard that we can't kill Lady Webb?
I heard that you can but that you get a non-standard gameover.

As expected, Pallegina confirmed. Interesting quote though.
It's very much in character though, Pallegina is pretty much Eothas' version of an atheist.

Is that a quote from Palegina? Guess so because of the suns and the feather, but can't remember when she said that.
It's likely from Pallegina yes, and it's presumably from PoE 2. The quotes by Edér and Aloth in the previous pictures weren't in PoE either.

Sentinel

Arcane
Sounds like it's written for someone with an italian accent.
What do you mean by that? I'm Italian and that sentence doesn't seem more meaningful to me or whatever.
Everytime I see a question followed by a ", no?" - like that sentence there "Just the same as before, no?" - I immediately think a french or an italian person is talking. Might be just me tho.
Doesn't sound like it's something a native speaker would say very often.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Yeah, "Just the same as before, no?" comes off very much like frenchie or italiano would say it.

Fever

Educated
Yeah I thought the same while reading that. I confirm that it's quite common around here and it totally feels italian, no?

2house2fly

Magister
The kickstarter campaign for PoE was prefaced with teaser pages and quotes kind of like this, so they're repeating themselves. I kind of wonder if it's going to be a fig campaign, since Sawyer's been making coy "project louisiana, the game I'm working on now" for 13 months

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The kickstarter campaign for PoE was prefaced with teaser pages and quotes kind of like this, so they're repeating themselves. I kind of wonder if it's going to be a fig campaign, since Sawyer's been making coy "project louisiana, the game I'm working on now" for 13 months

I doubt Fig Man would have foolishly approached Avellone if Fig wasn't involved.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Because the Watcher is a foreign element in their own story and has no agency? And companions miraculously coming alive is in BG2's tradition, sooo.

Totally unrelated to this mystery campaign, I talked with Josh about importing save games as a mechanic a long time ago. We talked about Bard's Tale and the Gold Box games, then the conversation turned to POE and what we would do, hypothetically, since I have noooooooooo idea if POE2 is even in development. :M

I remember Josh specifically saying that he would always try to respect the player's choices, especially with regard to companions killed off by player agency. His logic was that if the player hates the companion enough to kill them off, he would respect that going forward. After all, PoE was a game where you could beat the game without a single NPC companion. You could make your entire party - why would we ever bring back a character you killed, if we have the ability to detect that choice, and then honor that choice?

Now I'm not saying this what's going on, I don't even know what game it is that is being talked about here... :M

I'm just saying, that I know what the design goal is.

Now of course if we were to ever make a POE2, but you never played POE1, and didn't have a savegame to import - this is all moot anyway.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Yeah I thought the same while reading that. I confirm that it's quite common around here and it totally feels italian, no?

Or Spanish. It's pretty common with most of the romance languages, in my experience :)

As far as dead companions, it's admittedly been a while since my one play-through, but when do you have the option to kill them off? I'm asking for a friend who wouldn't mind offing Durance, Pallegina, Kana and a few others so they don't exist in the mythical, unconfirmed POE2.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
We talked about Bard's Tale and the Gold Box games

Keep talking!

It was mainly about how a few people here, Matthew Sheets and Bobby Null to name a couple, were playing through the Dragonlance Gold Box games, and how they were importing their parties all the way through it. Bobby finished them all, and Matthew is almost done. That got us talking about other games that have save import mechanics, such as Bard's Tale - which if you beat the first one, you could bring the spectre snare into BT2. I think we talked about Wizardry too a bit.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer

Or Spanish. It's pretty common with most of the romance languages, in my experience :)

As far as dead companions, it's admittedly been a while since my one play-through, but when do you have the option to kill them off? I'm asking for a friend who wouldn't mind offing Durance, Pallegina, Kana and a few others so they don't exist in the mythical, unconfirmed POE2.

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Skaen

EDIT: Also, I think if you're playing on Hard or PoD, they can just DIE DIE in combat. I think...

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Skaen

EDIT: Also, I think if you're playing on Hard or PoD, they can just DIE DIE in combat. I think...

Much appreciated. I may have to replay just to kill someone off. :) (Edit: It looks like they might perma-die in normal too. I always just rested when people got too low on endurance, so I didn't realize. Time to whittle down the companions and complete the game with sagani, eder, and some hirelings!)

Last edited:

Azarkon

Arcane
I agree, to a point. More money is always better (and, no matter the amount, money is always an issue), but it boils down to the people making the game.

The problem with PoE was that it played things too safe (Dyrwood is an interesting area on paper - inspired by colonial America, racial tensions, etc., but most of the time it was barely discernable from any other Sword Coast-ish fantasy game).

And yeah, I know that was the entire idea behind it - familiar, but with a few twists to the formula - but I still think they didn't take those ideas to their full potential.

Now that they're more or less free to do something that isn't so vanilla, I hope they'll use the chance to spice it up. And a swashbuckling adventure does sound promising.

Pillars of Eternity's quest & narrative design couldn't tell the difference between interesting and the back side of a barn.

Evidence:

* Concocts a fascinating formula in the form of Hollowborn ... then completely squanders it by never exploring it in-depth. The most we get is a fetch quest from Aufra, a few decorative Hollowborn NPCs in prison, and Grieving Mother having memories about delivering Hollowborn children a while later. The emotional, psychological, and potentially grimdark situational potential of the concept is lost almost entirely.
* Tries to insert RACSSCISM ISSUEZ in the form of discrimination against Orlan, Godlike, etc. But then the player character can do everything as any race anyways. All you get are a few flavor text here and there, no racial quests and very few racial choices & consequences.
* Sets up a situation where the player character can see his/her past lives, but makes almost every one of these past lives boring as fuck. Obsidian had full freedom to assign whatever crazy and twisted back story lives they wanted to the player character as well as his/her companions, but probably because it suddenly reminded them of how they were copying Planescape: Torment, they ended up only using it as a plot device.

Given how much they wasted the potential of the game world & ideas they came up with in 1, I can't possibly have high hopes for them in 2, regardless of how cool the game sounds on paper. Pillars of Eternity sounded awesome on paper, but it didn't follow through.

2house2fly

Magister

You can sacrifice them to Skaen in the ruins near Dyrford, they can sacrifice themselves to save the world at the end of the expansion, or they can just die during combat

Sherry

Arcane
Hi.

It would be ideal to bridge Pillars of Eternity with Pillars of Eternity 2 by reading all the stored information in the final save game for import. Not being able to do so in Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn generated a lot of hoopla over the years for having a stock list of NPCs selected even if some of those NPCs died in Baldur's Gate.

This of course creates a whole new barrel of monkeys in the event NPCs in Pillars of Eternity were killed and new NPCs in Pillars of Eternity 2 are not introduced to fill the void.

It could mean an additional six to eight new companions on top of those eight returning just so a full party can be managed.

Please visit again to keep us updated and for taking it into consideration Anthony Davis. <3 xoxo :hug:

Thanks,
Randal

Artyoan

Arbiter
So Eder might have to put his Mayor duties on hold for awhile. Or could any of their endings (aside from death) preclude being able to use them?

Most of them seemed fairly open ended.

And what of custom created characters? Obviously no biggie to just create them again but having them show up as well would be entertaining.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom