Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, but I why would I want to Sicken people at level 15?

That's a fair criticism. Like I said, it seems to me like a spell that's really meant to be an enemy boss ability* used to harass your party in conjunction with other spells, and maybe it was stuck in Level 8 by default because there was room there. On the other hand, I don't know, maybe somebody could find a use for it, for soloing or something.

(*I haven't played White March yet, but I'm guessing Llengrath. :M)

Lambach

Arcane
Mages are completely overpowered in Bg2, to the point that it's easier to solo encounters with a mage than to keep a full party alive

Only if you cheese, which you can chose not to do. Contrast that with Wizards in PoE who are less useful than perhaps any other class, Chanters possibly excluded.

- thankfully Sawyer mostly fixed that shit in PoE.

Nah, he just made them bland and dull.

Wizards are still one of the strongest PoE classes

Sure, at early levels. They get progressively worse (compared to other classes) as you advance. On PotD, they struggle to keep up with the damage other classes can dish out because they need to conserve spells and their CC is getting less meaningful because fights last longer.

Wizard spell generally do less damage but have CC, you forgot that Freezing Rake also weakens

It actually Hobbles, which is an effect that may as well not exist at high levels, that's how impotent it is. And it's 8 seconds.

and has a fast cast time. There are no saves any more, you roll accuracy on them as with attacks, they can't be saved against. You should read descriptions more carefully.

I should've expressed myself better, it gets that damage on a Hit instead of a Graze (or miss). That still doesn't change the point, a lot of enemies will get Grazed instead of Hit, making the paltry damage even paltrier.

Lambach

Arcane
Kalakoth's Freezing Rake can hit twice unless it was nerfed / fixed. With Secrets of Rime and 18 Might it can deal over 250 damage. Substantial Phantom is excellent for extra, simultaneous ranged attacks, debuffs (it can cast Arduous Delay of Motion), and is a meat shield. Tayn's Chaotic Orb can dismantle an enemy party, and Ninagauth's Killing Bolt for those enemies with high DR.

KFR - ~80 base damage. 18 Might is a 24% increase, so let's round it to +20. Secrets of the Rime is a 20% increase, so assuming we use 100 damage as base is another +20. That's 120 damage, assuming no resistances and on a Hit. You won't even get 250 with a Crit (and Crits happen maybe 10% of the time with spells on PotD), and I've never seen it hit twice.

Phantom dies too quickly, Adragan's Gaze is an infinitely more reliable thing that the Orb, and if an enemy has high DR, I'll just cast Cipher's Disintegration that does 4-5 times more damage (albeit over time) and I don't have to worry about not having another one for the next fight.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Contrast that with Wizards in PoE who are less useful than perhaps any other class, Chanters possibly excluded.
Wizards in the WM are one of the better damage dealers. Citzal's Lance basically turns a Wizard into a barbarian with strong AoE raw damage and no downsides. You then have petrify, flame shield, and the ice rake spell that covers a large area with slow. On top of that you have a haste spell, AoE slow, elemental shield, spirit shield, and arcane veil. The only drawback to wizard is that you need to rest.

What other classes bring remotely the same amount of bullshit?

Wizards don't have a one-shot spell, but the rest of the toolkit makes up for that. A Wizard can walk over certain encounters due to self buffs and summoned weapons. I don't see that disappearing at high levels, especially once you have more spell casts and mastery. The top levels spells may lag in terms of damage, but at that point, what more does a wizard need?

Last edited:

Hyperion

Arcane
KFR - ~80 base damage. 18 Might is a 24% increase, so let's round it to +20. Secrets of the Rime is a 20% increase, so assuming we use 100 damage as base is another +20. That's 120 damage, assuming no resistances and on a Hit. You won't even get 250 with a Crit (and Crits happen maybe 10% of the time with spells on PotD), and I've never seen it hit twice.

Phantom dies too quickly, Adragan's Gaze is an infinitely more reliable thing that the Orb, and if an enemy has high DR, I'll just cast Cipher's Disintegration that does 4-5 times more damage (albeit over time) and I don't have to worry about not having another one for the next fight.

https://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/4itc5x/op_spell_combo/

4 instances of damage from a single cast.

Level 4 spells are where I agree with you 100%. Once a Wizard hits level 9, his usefulness is incomparable. Maura's Writhing Tentacles and Ninagauth's Shadowflame are probably the 2 best spells in the game. Unlike Gaze of the Adragan you can master one of them (Shadowflame obviously) and can be used every single fight. Not shockingly, both are from TWM1 and in Ninagauth's Tome.

Shadowflame does approximately 65 damage with 18 Might and Secrets of Rime and a 6 second stun in an AoE. Maura's Writhing Tentacles summons 3 stationary tentacles that I've seen hit enemies for 50, and they have a greater attack range than a reach weapon. And you get 3 meatshields.

Oh, and you get a Ring with +1 level 4 spell.

Parabalus

Arcane
Only if you cheese, which you can chose not to do. Contrast that with Wizards in PoE who are less useful than perhaps any other class, Chanters possibly excluded.

You mentioned Simularcrum and Contingencies as good design, the two most cheesiest spells in the vast BG2 cheese factory.

Sure, at early levels. They get progressively worse (compared to other classes) as you advance. On PotD, they struggle to keep up with the damage other classes can dish out because they need to conserve spells and their CC is getting less meaningful because fights last longer.

Take a look at the lvl3 spell Kalakoth's Minor Blights and the Blast talent. Congratulations, your wizard now has the most damage done for the duration of the game, while having the rest of his spellbook for hours of CC.

It actually Hobbles, which is an effect that may as well not exist at high levels, that's how impotent it is. And it's 8 seconds.

It does both, just take a look. Debuffs are very noticable, especially on PotD, even more if you don't have a priest for +ACC buffs. You also activate deathblows for your rogue with a fast cast time.

I should've expressed myself better, it gets that damage on a Hit instead of a Graze (or miss). That still doesn't change the point, a lot of enemies will get Grazed instead of Hit, making the paltry damage even paltrier.

If your wizard does paltry damage with a rake then the rest of your party will also be doing paltry damage, it's not a flaw with the class.

It used to hit twice before patches, it did exactly what you seemingly want - one shot everything, like a fireball launched a kobolds. You might be more interested in the offers of another gaming studio:

Fairfax

Arcane
They're at $910,352 but that's with $444k of nebulous "fig funds" (their own money?) and $466k in pledges from actual human beings. Not very inspiring, especially since it looks like they're inflating the amount "raised" to create/sustain interest.
Yes, it's very misleading.

If you want to invest right now, you can't. You can only reserve an investment, and then it says they haven't filed the public offering with the SEC, and they're going to let you know once it's available. The "Fig funds" come from Fig itself and (most likely) investors close to Fig who had access to a confidential private offering, like the one WL3 had in advance with for $1.25 million. If there was no private offering, it's even more misleading, because that means all that money comes from Fig itself.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
"His vessel was none other than the massive adra body..."

That is all on the page.

In full:

The return of Eothas was not heralded in any way. Though would be prophets had foretold of the god's return since the detonation of the godhammer just as many theologians and animancers had definitively stated that the god of rebirth had been utterly annihilated. The instruments of reincarnation were the adra pillars that all souls use to come and go from the beyond. His vessel was none other than the massive adra body...

Bet everyone is pretty happy I did that, brand new information everywhere.

Could have a look on the notes under the book! Not doing it now, but I'm sure I'll do it eventually, if no one else bothers.

Looked at notes, most of it is covered up:

"?t (at) the ??nd erls

of the f???? p???? ?inate

?y??ood (dyrwood, probably) recognize

???ed nua (caed nua)"

There's more at the top and bottom right before the zoom, but it's so blurry my head hurt from trying to make it out.

badler Anthony Davis @Obsidian_people Please don't put shit like this in unless there's super secret information hidden in it, pass the message around the office, thank you.

Lambach

Arcane
You mentioned Simularcrum and Contingencies as good design, the two most cheesiest spells in the vast BG2 cheese factory.

God forbid there's something unique and creative you can do with a class, everything must have MMO levels of balance. And no, neither the Simulacrum nor Contingency are necessarily cheese spells, unless you choose to make them such.

Kalakoth's Minor Blights

Cute. I've had Aloth with me during the entire game, for story reasons. With Minor Blights active in almost every fight, he was still outperformed in the damage department by my Cipher, who was built without min-maxing (16 Might and Dex, 18 Int).

Debuffs are very noticable, especially on PotD

Stun, Paralyze, Petrify, Prone and such, yes. Weaken, Sicken, Frighten etc. not really, at least not on higher levels.

If your wizard does paltry damage with a rake then the rest of your party will also be doing paltry damage, it's not a flaw with the class.

Both my Cipher, Hiravias and Maneha outperformed Aloth damage-wise at later stages. I used Aloth almost solely to spam Adragan's Gaze/Ninagauth's Shadowflame for Petrify/Paralyze and Malignant Cloud for decent AoE Raw Damage.

You might be more interested in the offers of another gaming studio:

Right, it's Bioware who designed the DnD spells and they were the first studio to successfully port them into a game. Get the fuck outta here, Josh. :lol:

AN4RCHID

Arcane
My only problem with it is that I'm mildly OCD about completing all companion quests which means more party reshuffling. OTOH there are fewer companions overall so eh I guess.
rating_citation.png

I sure hope this isn't the case. PoE base game already didn't have that many companions.

Jezal_k23

Very, very soon would be the time for stretch goals. Sitting at 89% of goal right now.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Cute. I've had Aloth with me during the entire game, for story reasons. With Minor Blights active in almost every fight, he was still outperformed in the damage department by my Cipher, who was built without min-maxing (16 Might and Dex, 18 Int).

Both my Cipher, Hiravias and Maneha outperformed Aloth damage-wise at later stages. I used Aloth almost solely to spam Adragan's Gaze/Ninagauth's Shadowflame for Petrify/Paralyze and Malignant Cloud for decent AoE Raw Damage.

Did you utilize summoned weapons on Aloth (Citzal's Lance to be precise)?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
New interview: http://www.pcgamesn.com/pillars-of-eternity-2-deadfire/pillars-of-eternity-2-josh-sawyer-interview

Pillars of Eternity II's Josh Sawyer on leaving high fantasy woods for something weirder and more challenging

pillars%20of%20eternity%202%20story.png

When Obsidian made the world of Pillars of Eternity, they flipped over a map of the Forgotten Realms and stuck a bunch of different labels on it.

That might sound glib, but it’s true - designer Josh Sawyer took a map of the Dalelands, the temperate woodland that birthed meddling wizard Elminster, turned it upside down and called it the Dyrwood. If you squint a bit, you can still see the resemblance in the finished game - the same squiggly coastline, huge central forest and Tolkienesque mountain ranges bordering an inverted peninsula.

Project Eternity, as it was known then, was a conscious act of nostalgia - a way of getting back to the place that birthed Baldur’s Gate and Icewind Dale, even if the names were different. And it worked - the game was Kickstarted and released to wide acclaim. But can it work again?

“Will people be mad at anyone who comes back for a second try on Kickstarter?,” asks Sawyer. “Will they be mad at us for coming back? There’s a lot of stuff to question, especially I would say having been so fortunate to have such a successful Kickstarter project to begin with.”

Make no mistake: despite their doubts, Obsidian have jumped feet first into this sequel. Most of those who worked on the White March expansions have moved straight over to the Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire dev team - a rolling katamari that’s picked up animators and writers from last year’s Tyranny along the way.

In Deadfire, you’ll pick up the story of the Watcher of Caed Nua just as that title becomes redundant. Caed Nua itself - your stronghold in the first game - is smashed to pieces by a returning god of light and rebirth. On the brink of death and with your soul under threat, you’ll follow that god to a Pacific-style set of islands far to the south of the Dyrwood: the Deadfire Archipelago.

pillars%20of%20eternity%202%20companions.png

Obsidian promise pirates, volcanoes and conflict between colonists. Having grounded players in the largely vanilla fantasy world of Eora two years ago, they’ve freed themselves up to go a bit weirder.

“Just in the same way that Baldur's Gate II is not Baldur’s Gate, being able to take that step away allows us to do some neat things,” Sawyer explains. “I think it’s fresh for the audience. If you’ve gotten tired of seeing temperate forests and meadows for 80 hours, well OK: let’s take a look at something else.”

Of course, weird is a relative term in Pillars. Don’t expect Planescape.

“I've worked on shipped games that were really incredibly bizarre, and that can be very off-putting to a lot of people, so I am trying to be cognisant of people’s comfort zones,” says Sawyer. “Especially with the audience that came to this expecting a very traditional D&D-style RPG.”

pillars%20of%20eternity%202%20factions.png

In that sense Sawyer and his team are still beholden to the commitment they made way back in the Project Eternity Kickstarter: to build a spiritual successor to Baldur’s Gate and Icewind Dale.

“I will say that Forgotten Realms high fantasy is not my first choice for my style of setting,” Sawyer admits. “But I grew up playing in Greyhawk, the Forgotten Realms and even Dragonlance. When I first got started in the industry, I was making games in the Forgotten Realms. It’s a setting that I had a lot of fun in, and also we know that our fans have a ton of fun in.

“I think we’ve tried to grow it a little bit, but fundamentally, it’s your traditional high fantasy. There are restrictions on that, but they're restrictions we knew going in.”

Pillars%20of%20Eternity%202%20concept%20art.png

If that limitation is one Sawyer and his team are at peace with, there’s another they’ve still to navigate. The Pillars community hardcore is made up of players reared on a whole series of games that exploited the same combat engine. By the time they’d finished two Baldur’s Gates, two Icewind Dales and a Planescape, their tactical nous was already honed to the point of mastery.

It’s Obsidian’s unenviable job to cater to the challenge level demanded by those players, providing deliciously intricate encounters that necessitate plenty of pausing, while keeping Pillars II playable for newcomers.

“Overall, we do want to actually step the challenge level up,” says Sawyer. “It’s making sure we’re not doing that at the cost of people who aren’t necessarily as good. Ideally, there are going to be a bunch of people playing this who never played Pillars, who went, ‘Oh, I heard that was such a cool game, let me jump right in.’ If it just kicks them in the teeth repeatedly, that’s not a good intro.”

pillars%20of%20eternity%202%20gameplay.png

While Pillars was created specifically to fill a void left gaping since the ‘90s, that doesn’t mean Obsidian have bowed unquestioningly to the demands of genre veterans. For instance: those who, the first time around, didn’t like pistols and blunderbusses intruding on their vision of high fantasy.

“There were people that were really mad about it,” Sawyer recalls. “We did it anyway because we knew it wasn't that big of a deal, and it fit the vibe we were going for, which was more late Middle Ages, early Renaissance - to show a world that was a little more technologically advanced than what you typically see in a fantasy setting.”

Funnily enough, there were firearms in the Forgotten Realms. That’s something else the team have had to contend with on Pillars - the fuzzy memories that influence player expectations. Particularly those altered by the hyper-responsive storylines of latter day Obsidian games like Tyranny and Alpha Protocol.

pillars%20of%20eternity%202%20graphics.png

“There’s not a lot of reactivity in either of the Icewind Dale or the Baldur’s Gate games,” points out Sawyer. “There’s a little bit more in Baldur’s Gate II, there is some reactivity with the classes in Icewind Dale II, but it's not a branching storyline. So people expect a game the size of Baldur's Gate II, which is over 200 hours, but with all the reactivity that RPGs have developed over the past 15 years. That's one of the most difficult things to deal with, actually, in terms of the spiritual successor legacy.”

Just as Eora started off as a rough photocopy as the Realms, players have mapped out their own slightly smudged versions of the classic RPGs in their minds. Perhaps that’s not such a bad thing, however - since it spurs Obsidian on to match that rather unrealistic picture of what an isometric role-playing game can be.

“With the isometric viewpoint, you can make really big worlds that look very pretty, so you can have a huge round of exploration,” says Sawyer. “[And] because the camera is not right up in someone's face, we're not really spending a ton of resources on trying to bridge the uncanny valley. We're focusing on good dialogue and cool prose, and having a bunch of dense reactive content.

“It’s crazy sometimes now to go back and look at the [backgrounds] in Pillars 1, which I still think looks nice, but looking at Pillars II is pretty incredible - the technological jumps that we've done within the space. We’re just doing stuff that no one else is doing.”

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Some ideas for Deadfire
  1. If you do specific quests, your spell combos could have addtional effects which are not purchasable via normal leveling.
  2. About narrative design:
    I'm starting to think that Deadfire should be more evolved with gameplay, interactivity and less with walls of text. That's said, I do like deep storyline. But, if you look at how many players finished the game (http://steamcommunity.com/stats/291650/achievements/), it's only 9.8 %. That's is extremenly low for deep narrative RPG genre. So, there was very small group of hardcore RPG players who did take the time and read every textline, ingame books, etc.

I would propose that Deadfire should first hook players with fun and challenging gameplay with lot of interactivity and replayability. Narrative should be designed to push the game forward but in a way game is not hindered with it.

Last edited:

Lambach

Arcane
Did you utilize summoned weapons on Aloth (Citzal's Lance to be precise)?

I used the Deleterious Alacrity of Motion + Llengrath's Blunt Wisdom/Caedebald's Black Bow + Citzal's Martial Power combo a few times. Good damage and all, but way too much faffing about. A properly itemized and built Maneha with Frenzy does more damage, no buffs required and I don't have to worry about conserving spells.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
I used the Deleterious Alacrity of Motion + Llengrath's Blunt Wisdom/Caedebald's Black Bow + Citzal's Martial Power combo a few times. Good damage and all, but way too much faffing about. A properly itemized and built Maneha with Frenzy does more damage, no buffs required and I don't have to worry about conserving spells.
But Citzal's Lance should do more damage in the long run, no? I do not remember Llengrath's Blunt Wisdom much, but Citzal's Lance grants carnage. Carnage is what makes Mahena/barbarians worthwhile (unless you have a different approach in mind), which a Wizard can easily replicate with Citzal's Lance. You can cast Deleterious Alacrity > spirit shield/elemental shield > Citzal's Lance > Citzal's Martial Power to roll over some encounters. You now have a character that can do consistent AoE raw damage (Citzal's lance) at a faster attack speed (Alacrity of Motion) and with more staying power (spirit shield/elemental shield, arcane veil, concelhauts drain, or Citzal's martial power) than a barbarian in my opinion.

You may have to rest more often, but ultimately you have a more well rounded character than Mahena in my opinion. Moreover, unlike Mahena, you have the option of ranged spells, such as Shadowflame, Ice Rake, or the summoned bow. Wizards may not be ranged damage-dealing gods, but they can do whatever you want with them without much of a tradeoff. Hence, if a Wizard's ranged spells were any stronger, it would make several classes obsolete in my opinion.

edit: Add a priest into the mix and laugh with all the accuracy buffs and stacking Shining Beacons/cleansing flame. Granted, that works for every class.

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I want players to get stranded on an island where they have to fight in-exiled mages for a possible way out.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
I would pitch in to a Codex fundraiser to get a pirate party/ship, so long as the ship is the SS BANAL run by the pirate captain Roxor and the skipper Sensuki.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
The ship can't be named anything other than Hŵrpa Dwrp. :M
That ship name is better, but perhaps the pirate crew could be the "bANAL crew," headed by Roxor and Sensuki. Prime Junta would be behind bars in the lower levels of the ship, pending *another* review.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom