Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Call of Duty and FIFA also sell good, why are you bringing that up? You also know what I mean by "didn't have a chance to be better", so I also don't know why you bring it up. Unless we are still in the ridiculous notion of "everyone's opinion is equally valid" and "everyone's taste is different and good", if that's the case then we can't really discuss anything, can we?

*cough* Eric Fenstermaker *cough*
The writer of the single greatest companion and questline in the entire game.

He's still writing for PoE2, sooo.

Lacrymas

Arcane
He's just writing Edér. Main quest writing/other companions (especially Megan Stark's one - I just hope she doesn't write the fucking orlan bro) will most likely be a step down in quality.

Do we have a confirmation that he's writing ONLY Eder and nothing else? I got the impression that he works as a freelancer for Obsidian now, so maybe he'll write something else, I don't know.

Sentinel

Arcane
He's just writing Edér. Main quest writing/other companions (especially Megan Stark's one - I just hope she doesn't write the fucking orlan bro) will most likely be a step down in quality.

Do we have a confirmation that he's writing ONLY Eder and nothing else? I got the impression that he works as a freelancer for Obsidian now, so maybe he'll write something else, I don't know.
He worked on story/setting concepts with Josh during pre-production before he left, that was it. I think I read somewhere that he was supposed to write the $5M companion, the retarded elf with glasses kawaii waifu bait, but I might have just imagined it.

dropping hot steamy sauce:
Ocz4znO.png

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I find it amazing that we're sitting here worrying about writing in an Obsidian game, while no one seems to worry about technical issues, graphics and gameplay.

Funny how things change.

Rev

Arcane

He worked on story/setting concepts with Josh during pre-production before he left, that was it. I think I read somewhere that he was supposed to write the $5M companion, the retarded elf with glasses kawaii waifu bait, but I might have just imagined it.

dropping hot steamy sauce:
Ocz4znO.png
He did work on the story, when he was still a full-time Obsidian employee. Since it's Sawyer who took his role as lead narrative designer, I wouldn't worry too much about the story because I think they laid the base together and don't think Sawyer had tossed everything aside and re-wrote it.
Some side quests or companions may be poorly written, though, since the new writers don't exactly inspire me great confidence in their ability so far (hopefully that will change, but we'll see).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sawyer is the lead narrative designer, not the lead writer - two different roles that Eric happened to fill in the first game. I'm not sure this game has a lead writer but if it does it's probably Carrie Patel.

Sentinel

Arcane
Is there any mention of Dragons in the Deadfire?

I'd really like a Dragon character that has an actual personality and soundtrack theme (and that doesn't stand on its hindlegs) akin to Grigori in DD or Firkraag in BG2. Fuck, they couldn't even be bothered making boss fight themes for anything in PoE, that was pretty disappointing.

Quillon

Arcane
I'd also like an undersea quest/zone where we fight them on their own territory! Awesome!

More games need to have underwater settings; I think devs lack creativity these days.

Well at least "the beyond" of Deadfire doesn't seem to have hexagon platforms/rock formations like the recent RPGs' trying to be weird locations(in DAI,TTON,MEA,DOS2 and I saw some in ELEX videos also :P).

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I dont know why some people still keep thinking that "Tyranny flopped hard". This is just retarded.
Maybe it's because of the interviews in which Paradox (and maybe even Obsidian) said things like "we all expected it would sell better" and stuff like that. :M
Seeing that the game sold around 300K to date, it has definitely not flopped hard. Saying that they expected better sales does not mean it is a hard flop. Sometimes it just means what it means. Mediocre sales.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Call of Duty and FIFA also sell good, why are you bringing that up? You also know what I mean by "didn't have a chance to be better", so I also don't know why you bring it up. Unless we are still in the ridiculous notion of "everyone's opinion is equally valid" and "everyone's taste is different and good", if that's the case then we can't really discuss anything, can we?

*cough* Eric Fenstermaker *cough*
The writer of the single greatest companion and questline in the entire game.

He's still writing for PoE2, sooo.
Do you really not understand, and you need it spelled out, or you are just pretending?

High sales show the customers' approval of a product. CoD and FIFA are good games - are you putting them as an example of bad games that sell well? If you think Feargus wouldn't wish he was making games that sell like CoD, FIFA, or D:OS2, or guess what - Skyrim, then you are very naive. Everyone who sells something is looking to increase his profits

You ignored my question, instead preferring to state that I somehow know what you mean, and by fighting an argument which was never presented by me. Do you even know what you want, or are you just in the "demonstratively depressing over how everything is shit in every thread" phase?

Hyperion

Arcane
Underwater areas are common in JRPGs, not sure it's something most GRPG Codexers would advocate for.

Rev

Arcane
Seeing that the game sold around 300K to date, it has definitely not flopped hard. Saying that they expected better sales does not mean it is a hard flop. Sometimes it just means what it means. Mediocre sales.
It means it underperformed. Of course, it's not a Tides of Numenera kind of flop, on that I agree, but it should've done better in the eyes of Paradox, which means a sequel is highly unlikely.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Do you really not understand, and you need it spelled out, or you are just pretending?

High sales show the customers' approval of a product. CoD and FIFA are good games - are you putting them as an example of bad games that sell well? If you think Feargus wouldn't wish he was making games that sell like CoD, FIFA, or D:OS2, or guess what - Skyrim, then you are very naive. Everyone who sells something is looking to increase his profits

You ignored my question, instead preferring to state that I somehow know what you mean, and by fighting an argument which was never presented by me. Do you even know what you want, or are you just in the "demonstratively depressing over how everything is shit in every thread" phase?

I am painfully aware what Feargus and most other companies want. How is this relevant to our desire for better games? Shit sells good, we know. So what? Can't we have something good despite that? I feel like you are pretending or you think more sales = better quality? Or you think all devs are naive and think that? If this is the case, and there's no other way around it, why are you bothering to criticize D:OS2 in that thread? Why are you on a forum to discuss video games in general if sales trump everything else? Just google sale numbers and be done with it. What are you even trying to say here?

Last edited:

Flou

Arbiter
It means it underperformed. Of course, it's not a Tides of Numenera kind of flop, on that I agree, but it should've done better in the eyes of Paradox, which means a sequel is highly unlikely.

Definition of flop as a verb and as a noun by Oxford dictionary:

be completely unsuccessful; fail totally.
A total failure.

Underperfoming someone's expectations isn't flopping, it's just that... underperforming expectations.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Google Translate said:
Is it in Pillars II, since priests and druids can no longer learn all the sayings, grimoires (or something similar) for these classes? And can Grimoires be used to avoid subclass restrictions?

Hello. Beautiful username.

We have not yet decided. There are a few possibilities. 1) When they reach a new power level (I do not know the words in German), priests and druids will take one or two more sayings. The player can select the spells. 2) The priests take specific sayings that come from their gods. AND Druids take a few sayings that the player can choose.

Grimoires can not be used to bypass subclass restrictions.​

"Sayings", lol.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom