Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I really hate how PoE displays percentages. I'd much rather have the raw numbers, and no rolls with decimals.

Should have just stuck with a d20 system.
One of the reasons combat sucks so much in PoE, and you can't really tell how much of an effect your decisions have.

I only remember pellagia being black and sassy
Same here.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wonder what that "conditional" sneak attack is

Conditional as in the condition of getting the sneak attack bonus is that the target be flanked/stunned/weakened/etc. Very cool to have that stuff show up in the calculation.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's only useful if you can sort it out and actually SEE it. The combat log in 1 is a nightmare, good luck sifting through the entire thing to find a specific attack.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
It's only useful if you can sort it out and actually SEE it. The combat log in 1 is a nightmare, good luck sifting through the entire thing to find a specific attack.

PoE's system is a lot more complicated than BG's, so it is exponentially harder to create a good combat log.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
How does that calculation work? Those bonuses should be additive and they add up to %83 without the second sneak attack. 7,9 to 15,3 is a %93 increase. I wonder what that "conditional" sneak attack is and how it affects the damage.

Hmm if the original damage roll is something like 7,94444 and the sneak attack bonus is multiplicative with might (making it a %27 total might bonus), then the result is 15,25 which reads 15,3. Makes sense for the sneak attack damage to interact with might but not with pork. Though I wish they telegraphed these calculations better.
I'm assuming holding shift like it says in the image will show how the calculation is made.

Parabalus

Arcane
Very few games have good combat logs, even MMOs for which they are absolutely essential are often barebones. Deadfire's seems pretty great so far.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The IE games don't overflow you with information the way PoE does, and the attack calculations are much more simple than PoE's superficial complexity (where they are complex for calculations, but simple as rules) hence their combat logs are more readable.

The bad news is that they seem to be sticking to the same system for Deadfire. The good news is that they seem to have balanced combat pacing, so it's more playable for humans who actually want to follow the events in combat. Combined with a difficulty level where it actually matters whether you do this or that, and where you can lose without being a complete idiot, this could make for a better combat gameplay. We can always hope.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
poe had a few big problems as an RPG but the combat log doesn't really make the cut in my opinion. I'd rather they spend more time writing interesting NPCs and quests first...

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The combat log needs filters, that's it. It is pretty detailed, but it's impossible to work with. Also, improving the combat log doesn't take away time from writing interesting NPCs and quests (don't count on good writing, though, their strength isn't in that anymore) because different people are responsible for that.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
If you're in the beta you'll have to try pushing for it there. I have watched zero videos apart from the original fig trailer but from memory in P:E videos the lead devs didn't even use the combat log, they squish it to a small size in the corner.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
obsidian should use PoE engine to make a spiritual successor to Fallout/F:NV and hire back the same people who worked on FNV to write it

Prime Junta

How about space and fantasy games?

Space is still relatively fresh, apart from the Ass Effects there hasn't been all that much done with it, and they suck, so there's certainly room for a couple good ones.

Fantasy is a much broader genre. If it's yet another pseudo-medieval-European-elves-and-dwarves-and-dragons-and-undead-oh-my I will have the same reaction, but if the setting is a bit fresher I'll dig it.

Like, oh, I dunno, something inspired by the Pacific islands around the start of the colonial period, to pick an example completely at random.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I wouldn't expect them to step outside of their comfort zone and try some unusual settings anytime soon. Not after Torment's total commercial failure. The best you can realistically hope for is fantasy/post-apo but with a twist, such as Fallout's post-apo but stylized on the 1950s, or AoD and its medieval post-apo.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If you're in the beta you'll have to try pushing for it there. I have watched zero videos apart from the original fig trailer but from memory in P:E videos the lead devs didn't even use the combat log, they squish it to a small size in the corner.

No need to push, they've said they're improving the log with filters and stuff.

Sentinel

Arcane

No need to push, they've said they're improving the log with filters and stuff.
Doesn't mean it'll be good and/or that it won't require feedback (that they'll ignore).

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Combine it with Sawyer's for a southern fantasy noir with magical realism set in the roaring twenties. Instead of alcohol there is magic prohibition.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
I wouldn't expect them to step outside of their comfort zone and try some unusual settings anytime soon. Not after Torment's total commercial failure. The best you can realistically hope for is fantasy/post-apo but with a twist, such as Fallout's post-apo but stylized on the 1950s, or AoD and its medieval post-apo.
Torment's commercial failure doesn't have anything to do with its setting and I really doubt the Obs. owners wouldn't be aware of that.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
post-apoc is a surprisingly fertile (phrasing!) choice for making vidya games, especially for RPGs because the entire premise revolves around agency:

- survivalism
- human struggle
- resource management
- many different types of organic conflicts
- decaying state/city/etc (or alternatively) flourishing newfound civilization
- frontier spirit
- exploration

etc, etc. although i will definitely agree the dusty-desert brown-wasteland hook is very much tired. neo scavenger and underrail are two post-apoc games that don't lean on the dusty-desert motif and were good, just imagine that type of spirit executed with higher production values. plus obsidian already has guns well implemented (well enough, i guess) so even that area would be covered.

something like a detective noir setting would make for a great adventure game, sure, but would be more difficult to shoehorn into an rpg setting for people expecting parties, combat, loot, etc. post-apoc is easier for this kind of stuff.

in any case what i've seen of PoE 2 has me getting quietly hyped and am looking foward to the more conquistadores landing in new world hook for Deadfire than the european fantasty hook of poe 1.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom