Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I wouldn't mind being less informed about something depending on my class choice but limiting how I'd progress through the main story just cos of my class is a deal breaker.

Why would that be a deal breaker? You've devoted your entire life to his cause, I'd think some specialness is in order. This "anyone can do anything" is one of the things which is bringing modern RPGs down. Were you let down by the fact that your low intelligence Fallout character can't get a bunch of quests and some endings aren't available because s/he's literally a retard? Is it a deal breaker that Loremasters (I think?) are the only ones who can defeat all the gods in AoD? etc. etc.

Last edited:

Sizzle

Arcane
The only dlc that makes sense in an rpg is to expand the story post ending. Mid game dlc like the white march is ridiculous, both in terms of gameplay and commercialy.

Something that expands the story post-ending is called a sequel ;)

Kidding (kind of), but here they were obviously going for a Tales of the Sword Coast vibe (it's an expansion pack in all but name - nowadays everything has to be called a DLC).

Besides, there's nothing inherently wrong with DLCs being like that - the ones from F:NV are like that, and they were really good.

Do we even have a Priest companion in PoE2?

Xoti is a monk/priest.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The power progression in PoE is leagues above BG1 though, not to mention 6 to 8 more levels (!), TotSC didn't unbalance the whole game this dramatically. Also, he meant the main PC of a different class, not companions.

Sizzle

Arcane
The power progression in PoE is leagues above BG1 though, not to mention 6 to 8 more levels (!), TotSC didn't unbalance the whole game this dramatically. Also, he meant the main PC of a different class, not companions.

The game was already really unbalanced even before TWM. Like someone said - between the base game, TWM, and the Endless Paths, you'll always be overleveled for at least one of them.

Even though I haven't played BG1 in quite a while, I get the feeling that levels in PoE make a much bigger (power) difference than they do in BG1.

Sentinel

Arcane
Do we even have a Priest companion in PoE2?

Xoti is a monk/priest.
Oh right, that fucking slut.

I have to wonder though, and this question has been floating in my mind for some time, will they just reuse all the PoE1 spells and nothing else? We had up to level 9 spells (I think) for all classes. In BG2 they could introduce new spells easily because you started from where you left off, but in PoE2 we're starting over from level one. I can't really wrap my head around them introducing new low level spells that weren't present in PoE1. I don't like it.

Prime Junta

I have to wonder though, and this question has been floating in my mind for some time, will they just reuse all the PoE1 spells and nothing else? We had up to level 9 spells (I think) for all classes.

They addressed it somewhere. Spells are getting a complete overhaul. Some will be dropped, some will be added, everything will be made to scale with power source.

And of course we'll need more high-level spells with the higher level cap. Level 17 should give us L9 spells, and level 19, L10.

Edit: everything per-encounter though :argh:

Last edited by a moderator:

Quillon

Arcane
I wouldn't mind being less informed about something depending on my class choice but limiting how I'd progress through the main story just cos of my class is a deal breaker.

Why would that be a deal breaker? You've devoted your entire life to his cause, I'd think some specialness is in order. This "anyone can do anything" is one of the things which is bringing modern RPGs down. Were you let down by the fact that your low intelligence Fallout character can't get a bunch of quests and some endings aren't available because s/he's literally a retard? Is it a deal breaker that Loremasters (I think?) are the only ones who can defeat all the gods in AoD? etc. etc.

Its a deal breaker cos you are 1 of 11, a priest and 1 of 5 after that...of Eothas. And you've not devoted your entire life, you've just clicked once to be that specific thing and now you can ally with Eothas in the main story. For it to be not a deal breaker, it shouldn't be that big of a deal, like I said, doing that in sidequests are fine.

Low intelligence in Fallout might be one of the best in RPGs but its still not fully featured, you don't expect it to be fully functional when you make a low int character anyway, Played AoD once, twas game over in act2, don't remember much/don't know what you're talking about. But AoD was too short/C&C heavy if I remember correctly, PoE is not like that.

If there is to be like 10 climax points in the main story like that with most classes getting some unique resolution & a unique way to continue the story after those, then it wouldn't be deal breaker but making an entire path for a "subclass"...on a game like this; with its length, budget etc is a no NO.

Rev

Arcane
Josh also confirmed that Priest of Eothas can "ally" with Eothas. PC's objective isn't "Kill Eothas" but "Find Eothas".
Only priests of Eothas can ally with him or all PCs can do it?
the question was specifically about the PC so I'd assume only PCs. Do we even have a Priest companion in PoE2?
What I meant was if the PC needs to be a priest of Eothas to ally with him or if he can be any class and still have that option available.

Prime Junta

What I meant was if the PC needs to be a priest of Eothas to ally with him or if he can be any class and still have that option available.

It's not Obsidz' style to restrict options as big as that to character-building choices you made blind tens of hours ago. Pretty sure that that choice is available to anyone. If anything, they'll add extra content if you're a priest of some other (antagonistic) god, so you'll switch allegiance or something.

Quillon

Arcane

You don't have to be a priest to be devoted to Eothas...f.i. hey'der!

Sentinel

Arcane
Josh also confirmed that Priest of Eothas can "ally" with Eothas. PC's objective isn't "Kill Eothas" but "Find Eothas".
Only priests of Eothas can ally with him or all PCs can do it?
the question was specifically about the PC so I'd assume only PCs. Do we even have a Priest companion in PoE2?
He didn't specify. The question was merely "Will we be able to ally with Eothas if our PC is a Priest of Eothas?". He replied with "Yes, you will". I'd interpret it as a "you need to be a priest of Eothas to ally with him", but at the same time I can't imagine Sawyer doing exclusive content for one class, so I'd instead bet that Priests of Eothas have unique dialogue, but anyone can ally with Eothas.

I'll try to find the VOD anyway.

Lacrymas

Arcane
And you've not devoted your entire life, you've just clicked once to be that specific thing and now you can ally with Eothas in the main story.

That's where mimetic vs diegetic information comes into play. YOU might have clicked the subclass for a few seconds, but the CHARACTER has devoted their life to Eothas. You have to separate your knowledge and your character's. That's one of the pillars of an RPG, I might go so far as to say it's the only thing separating this genre from anything else. The crazy idea that your character and you aren't the same being.

You don't have all the endings available with a moderate intelligence in Fallout as well. Convincing the Master that his plan is bonkers for once (though I'm not sure whether that required high int, high cha, or both).

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
For anyone wondering I went out with some friends tonight. They are the ones I helped move a few weeks back where the elevator was not properly booked for us it is in a previous post I made if you want to be in the know. Anyways things are good now and they have settled in and even got their names on the buzzer panel so I do not have to wait in front of the laundry mart across the road so they can see me from the balcony and let me in. Now I can just buzz up.

I feel like we need a more detailed update here. What did you eat when you went out with the friends that you helped move a few weeks back when the elevator was not previously booked? Was it good? Did said friends pay, or did you have to pay for your own meal despite the elevator-related mishap that was almost certainly their fault? How full was the laundry mart (or laundromat) across the road when you previously had to wait there so they could see you from the balcony and let you in? Why couldn't they just tell you the name of the prior occupant so you knew which buzzer to push?

gosh who cares right? I am reading in the Numenera thread of so many calling it a lore dump because that is all Durance was in Pillars was one giant book with page upon page upon page of buhbuh! Goodbye burn baby burn and do not come back. Holy moly talk about a character that just wouldn't shut up already right? He was clearly put in the wrong game I agree and will be glad not to see him return in Deadfire.

Somewhere in Imaginaryland, Durance is very sad to hear that you didn't like him and is most likely blaming it all on his goddess again. :)

Quillon

Arcane
That's where mimetic vs diegetic information comes into play. YOU might have clicked the subclass for a few seconds, but the CHARACTER has devoted their life to Eothas. You have to separate your knowledge and your character's. That's one of the pillars of an RPG, I might go so far as to say it's the only thing separating this genre from anything else. The crazy idea that your character and you aren't the same being.

...that's the idea of it but in this case its not sensible in a game like this unless you want about 95% your vocal players bitching about it. Its easy being idealistic...from the sidelines.

Lacrymas

Arcane
...that's the idea of it but in this case its not sensible in a game like this unless you want about 95% your vocal players bitching about it. Its easy being idealistic...from the sidelines.

How do you know they'll bitch about it? Did they bitch about it in Fallout?

Quillon

Arcane

How do you know they'll bitch about it? Did they bitch about it in Fallout?

Because I'm bitching the idea about it atm and I know what most people will or won't like :P

and the fact that most people won't play a priest of eothas.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Because I'm bitching the idea about it atm and I know what most people will or won't like :P

Anecdotal and I'd say unsubstantiated claim. Not to mention that they won't know if they can ally with him if they don't play a priest of Eothas.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So, for someone who hasn't played PoE yet and is feeling mildly excited about this campaign, is it worth getting the discounted version on GoG.com?
The discounted version - definitely. Go for it, I would say. Reviews say that you will like this if you liked the IE games, but I'd rather say if you manage to like this, you'll like the IE games even more.

a 100% IE grog
TRIGGERED!

Last edited:

Quillon

Arcane

Anecdotal and I'd say unsubstantiated claim. Not to mention that they won't know if they can ally with him if they don't play a priest of Eothas.

Yeah well, the vocal audience will know and bitch about it and more will join as they learn through reddit or wherever.

The problem isn't the content locking from my/player's perspective, its that the reason for locking is not compelling nor widely used. And from dev's perspective I'd imagine its too much work for content too few will get to enjoy, they don't have the luxury to do it & ıts too UNBALANCED for Josh to not notice.

---

A lot of people bitched about cypher's getting more options in dialogue in PoE1, this'd be the next level shit of that trend: superior class in the story.

Fuck that.

Last edited:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
A lot of people bitched about cypher's getting more options in dialogue in PoE1, this'd be the next level shit of that trend: superior class in the story.

Fuck that.

There are two groups of people to consider: people that play Priest of Eothas; and people who are wrong.

Jokes aside, is anyone else a little underwhelmed by the factions? As far as I remember, we have Rautai, Valian Republics, Pirates, and the Natives. For me, none of these factions stand out as particularly interesting. In contrast, New Vegas had House, NCR, Legion, Brotherhood of Steel, etc. Moreover, all of those factions were represented by rangers, BoS paladins, securitrons, etc. What do the PoE2 factions have? Sharkpeople and not-Italians?

Sizzle

Arcane

Fuck that.

There are two groups of people to consider: people that play Priest of Eothas; and people who are wrong.

Jokes aside, is anyone else a little underwhelmed by the factions? As far as I remember, we have Rautai, Valian Republics, Pirates, and the Natives. For me, none of these factions stand out as particularly interesting. In contrast, New Vegas had House, NCR, Legion, Brotherhood of Steel, etc. Moreover, all of those factions were represented by rangers, BoS paladins, securitrons, etc. What do the PoE2 factions have? Sharkpeople and not-Italians?

We still don't really know anything about the factions. The thing that will make them interesting will be what their quests and goals are like, not what their "backstory", or whatever, is.

Give me a wide range of options and motivations for dealing with them, and I don't really care what they look like.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Maybe Rauatai have dudes with cannon emplacements and the Vailians have BATTLE ANIMANCERS.

Salvo

Arcane
Maybe Rauatai have dudes with cannon emplacements and the Vailians have BATTLE ANIMANCERS.

Maybe we could shoot dwarven berserkers through the cannons, having them board other ships.

That'd be a sight.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom