Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sannom

Augur
So, yeah, in PoE you get to kill a tranny and get paid for it :D
You should see the number of "How nice, a happy lesbian couple" posts on Tumblr from people playing Tyranny for the first time. I always feel sad when I come across one.

I always interpreted that bounty as Obsidian turning Firedorn into what he was "prejudiced" against, and then having the player kill him as a "fuck you, bigot" message to firedorn.
I never noticed his avatar was female. I think he had already shifted before he came into my field of vision.

Sentinel

Arcane
filled with SJW circle-jerking
I have never heard this take before, what are you referring to?

A lot of people inferred that Obsidian (or at least - Sawyer) are SJW because they changed that Firedorn Lightbringer memorial after someone complained about it on Twitter.

But in the first White March expansion, they added a bounty which has you killing a character named Firedorn, a person constantly referred to by male pronouns, but sporting a female avatar.

So, yeah, in PoE you get to kill a tranny and get paid for it :D
I always interpreted that bounty as Obsidian turning Firedorn into what he was "prejudiced" against, and then having the player kill him as a "fuck you, bigot" message to firedorn.

Jesus Christ, dude... it was a nice gesture. Going from mere backer memorial to bounty npc without having to put money to earn it is a cool gesture no matter how you slice it.
And did I say it wasn't? I was merely posting what was my interpretation of the bounty at the time that I did it.
Well, if your interpretation of this nice gesture is a "fuck you, bigot", it stops being a nice gesture, doesn't it? It would be petty revenge for the least deserving of it.
You just said
"Going from mere backer memorial to bounty npc without having to put money to earn it is a cool gesture no matter how you slice it."
So, from that point of view, I agreed that it was a nice gesture.
If you want to argue from the point of view of Obsidian's intent, I'd also agree that it wouldn't be such a nice gesture if my interpretation is correct. However, seeing that my interpretation seems to be the least popular, and I've read several people saying the exact same thing as Sizzle (unless those people were all him), I have to say I'm not surprised to see people assuming Obsidian's intent was merely to poke a bit of fun at the situation and compensate Firedorn by having us killing a stealth-tranny.
However, I do find it odd that the tranny we're killing has Firedorn's name, hence why my interpretation of the whole bounty is a little bit more cynical.

Deleted member 7219

After the total fiasco filled with Sawyer's --who must love the smell of his couch's week-old stale farts-- pretentious writing, these fuckers have the audacity of wanting to release yet another tl;dr lore-dumping generator filled with SJW circle-jerking and shitty clusterfuck combat?

Fuck Obsidian and their soulless art department, their once-made-something-great-but-now-eat-dick-and-chocolate developers, and their whole parafernalia of society's most talentless rejects they call """game designers""".

Seriously, fuck these assholes, their games suck and are as soulless as games can be.

This post is retarded, butthurt and shit all rolled into one. Truly, it is one of the most stupid posts I have read on the Codex, and that takes some doing.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
"Going from mere backer memorial to bounty npc without having to put money to earn it is a cool gesture no matter how you slice it."
If you want to argue from the point of view of Obsidian's intent, I'd also agree that it wouldn't be such a nice gesture if my interpretation is correct. However, seeing that my interpretation seems to be the least popular, and I've read several people saying the exact same thing as Sizzle (unless those people were all him), I have to say I'm not surprised to see people assuming Obsidian's intent was merely to poke a bit of fun at the situation and compensate Firedorn by having us killing a stealth-tranny.
However, I do find it odd that the tranny we're killing has Firedorn's name, hence why my interpretation of the whole bounty is a little bit more cynical.

I'm pretty someone from Obsidian has said that explicitly that the reason for the bounty was as a favor to the backer and that it was done with the backer's blessing (as was the original rewriting of the headstone).

Last edited by a moderator:

Reinar

Scholar
You just said

I'm pretty someone from Obsidian has said that explicitly that the reason for the bounty was as a favor to the backer and that it was done with the backer's blessing (as was the original rewriting of the headstone).
What a fine pyramid you guys have here...

Quillon

Arcane
You just said

What pyramid?

Reinar

Scholar
You just said

What pyramid?
To whoever collapsed the Great Pyramid of Codexia: :argh:

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
After the total fiasco filled with Sawyer's --who must love the smell of his couch's week-old stale farts-- pretentious writing, these fuckers have the audacity of wanting to release yet another tl;dr lore-dumping generator filled with SJW circle-jerking and shitty clusterfuck combat?

Fuck Obsidian and their soulless art department, their once-made-something-great-but-now-eat-dick-and-chocolate developers, and their whole parafernalia of society's most talentless rejects they call """game designers""".

Seriously, fuck these assholes, their games suck and are as soulless as games can be.

This post is retarded, butthurt and shit all rolled into one. Truly, it is one of the most stupid posts I have read on the Codex, and that takes some doing.

No, it was a good post, you are just a shitty codexer.

Deleted member 7219

No, it was a good post, you are just a shitty codexer.

At least I'm not a
dumbfuck.gif

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
a person constantly referred to by male pronouns, but sporting a female avatar.
Funny, I am only now becoming aware of his avatar's type. In the whirlpool of colors and spell effects I never took notice if it was male or female.

Or as my Bleak Walker PC would have it...

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

I rate this post 57% true.

Sentinel

Arcane

That's cool to know I guess. Do you happen to have a sauce on this info?

Sherry

Arcane
Sherry go post that in the Torment thread. It's terribly dull over there, gotta spice things up.

Hi.

I went there as per your instruction but noticed another Pillars fan beat me to it. :( It is no surprise it is in the top 10 right.

Lmao. Pillars went on -60% sale and they are currently on top 10 top sellers, with T:TON sitting sadly at #23.

Feargus you sneaky motherfucker, twisting the knife in Brian's back like this?

:slamdunk:

Anyways hugs to IHaveHugeNick for the continued support. :hug:

Thanks,
Sherry

2house2fly

Magister

Goodness, where to begin. I suppose, alas, at the beginning:

1) Sawyer did not do much of the writing

2) There is little to no SJW circle-jerking

3) par·a·pher·na·lia
ˌperəfərˈnālyə/
noun
noun: paraphernalia
  1. miscellaneous articles, especially the equipment needed for a particular activity.
    "drills, saws, and other paraphernalia necessary for home improvements"
    synonyms: equipment, stuff, things, apparatus, kit, implements, tools, utensils, material(s), appliances, accoutrements, appurtenances, odds and ends, bits and pieces;
    informalgear
    "they have a ton of camping paraphernalia"
    • trappings associated with a particular institution or activity that are regarded as superfluous.
      "the rituals and paraphernalia of government"

4) Not only is Pillars Of Eternity not soulless, the game in fact deals with souls extensively as both a plot element and thematic motif.

Have a civilised day.

Sizzle

Arcane

Goodness, where to begin. I suppose, alas, at the beginning:

1) Sawyer did not do much of the writing

2) There is little to no SJW circle-jerking

3) par·a·pher·na·lia
ˌperəfərˈnālyə/
noun
noun: paraphernalia
  1. miscellaneous articles, especially the equipment needed for a particular activity.
    "drills, saws, and other paraphernalia necessary for home improvements"
    synonyms: equipment, stuff, things, apparatus, kit, implements, tools, utensils, material(s), appliances, accoutrements, appurtenances, odds and ends, bits and pieces;
    informalgear
    "they have a ton of camping paraphernalia"
    • trappings associated with a particular institution or activity that are regarded as superfluous.
      "the rituals and paraphernalia of government"

4) Not only is Pillars Of Eternity not soulless, the game in fact deals with souls extensively as both a plot element and thematic motif.

Have a civilised day.

He came here from playing Tyranny (which does feature SJW content).

Like I said many times before, PoE only features some light SJW-ity (at least, if you're not a total MRA nutjob who thinks that females in martial roles in RPGs is somehow SJW pandering), and mostly in the character of Maneha (an ex-pirate lesbian).

Also, calling PoE's art bad is... well, it's one of those things that's symptomatic to the Codex - you don't like one (or some) aspect of a game, so you bash everything about it. Shit art, shit music, shit VA, everything about it is SHIIIIIIIIIIIT, fuck constructive criticism, it's 0/10, and that's being generous!!

Seaking4

Learned
Did they mention if the year are going to change how sneak attack works in Deadfire? Are they going to make it scale with level (DnD style)? Because I don't see why why you wouldn't take 1 level of rogue with each build for that massive 50% damage bump.

Prime Junta

Did they mention if the year are going to change how sneak attack works in Deadfire? Are they going to make it scale with level (DnD style)? Because I don't see why why you wouldn't take 1 level of rogue with each build for that massive 50% damage bump.

I don't recall if they mentioned sneak attacks specifically, but almost all class abilities will start small and scale with level so it'll be rather strange if that one doesn't.

Seaking4

Learned
All right well that would make sense. Sawyer might have to abandon his love of percentages for that to work though.

On an unrelated note, I'm hoping they add in special types of ammunition (but keep the infinite stock of regular ammo) into the game. That being said, they never mentioned it during the kickstarter so I'm not really expecting anything.

Sizzle

Arcane

I don't recall if they mentioned sneak attacks specifically, but almost all class abilities will start small and scale with level so it'll be rather strange if that one doesn't.

I may be wrong, but I think he might have specifically mentioned the Rogue Sneak Attack as well - that everything will be scaled by (power) level.

And yeah, a 50% increase to attack from just one level would be too much. The Apprentice Sneak Attack talent from TWM was also pretty OP and there was no reason not to give it to every character.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom