Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Perkel

Arcane
22 hours my freezer isn't working

Quillon

Arcane
Clock showed 21 hours left.. oke... then thought it was today so 8 hours left..HYPED! then it hit me.. 32 hours, or 31 hours and 20 mins now.. damn.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just out of curiosity: is there any way PoE2 really satisfies you? I mean, what does the game need for you to really enjoy?
If it's at least as good as White March, I'll be happy. Less trash fights and the addition of multiclassing would be two things it could improve upon.
Reveal should be 10 AM PST and 18:00 for CEST
Or 19:00 CET for the people who already noticed it's not summer anymore. Same time they post new teaser picture basically.

Prime Junta

I looked at the script on the teaser page, it sure looks like they're just playing with the Date from the user's computer with no reference to timezone.

(If they're actually going to do the actual reveal that way, I hope the kiwis spill the beans for the rest of us...)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Obsidian making the same mistake TSI did. :M

Ideally they won't just keep resetting the clock and having it end with nothing.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
* Multi-classing

I have seen multiple people reference multi-classing. Was that confirmed? Or, are we talking about the system that already exists in the WM, where you can pick a feat/ability from another class.

Sizzle

Arcane
* Multi-classing

I have seen multiple people reference multi-classing. Was that confirmed? Or, are we talking about the system that already exists in the WM, where you can pick a feat/ability from another class.

Sawyer talked about it on several occasions. Basically, he knows that many people want it, so he's thinking about how to include it in some way in PoE2.

He's also acknowledged that TWM multiclass talents are a mixed bag - there are some really good ones (like the Rogue's Sneak Attack), and some you'd probably never pick.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Sawyer talked about it on several occasions. Basically, he knows that many people want it, so he's thinking about how to include it in some way in PoE2.

He's also acknowledged that TWM multiclass talents are a mixed bag - there are some really good ones (like the Rogue's Sneak Attack), and some you'd probably never pick.

Wizard/Priest...hmmm.

doctor_manhattan_2009_01.jpg

Perkel

Arcane
First step would be to make every ability and spell crucial and make combat more lethal (less war of attrition more of a rockpaperscizor type)

Like rogue blind or criple strike which is completely useless if you have a spellcaster.
they are like few seconds debuffs. They aren't lethal.

Instead of mild debuf for 10 second or whatever time, make it permanent. Instead Intelligence affecting time of debuf make it affect EFFECT of debuf.

Which means that rogue blind suddenly is way more powerful that measly spell which has both time and lesser effect)

Similar things with other class skills like knockdown. Instead of 2 times or so make i 5-6 or even 10 per fight and use it like skill to maneuver your opponents instead of just another spell ability.

This is one of the reasons D:OS combat was so fun. Because all skills were powerful and enemy too had ability to completely wreck your shit if you stopped giving a fuck (i ignore stacking which was bad)

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
First step would be to make every ability and spell crucial and make combat more lethal (less war of attrition more of a rockpaperscizor type)

Like rogue blind or criple strike which is completely useless if you have a spellcaster.
they are like few seconds debuffs. They aren't lethal.

Instead of mild debuf for 10 second or whatever time, make it permanent. Instead Intelligence affecting time of debuf make it affect EFFECT of debuf.

Which means that rogue blind suddenly is way more powerful that measly spell which has both time and lesser effect)

Similar things with other class skills like knockdown. Instead of 2 times or so make i 5-6 or even 10 per fight and use it like skill to maneuver your opponents instead of just another spell ability.

This is one of the reasons D:OS combat was so fun. Because all skills were powerful and enemy too had ability to completely wreck your shit if you stopped giving a fuck (i ignore stacking which was bad)

For Priests, I definitely would like to see "a less is more" approach. Specifically, I would like Priests to choose spells similar to Wizards, but also have a chance to learn spells from temples and or enemies.

2house2fly

Magister
Wait... there are some retards complaining about PoE music ?

Sure style is different from IE games but those scores especially flute parts sets different tone for PoE world which i really like.

Obviously beating legendary OST like BG2 and its expansion or morgan PST/fallout tracks is fucking hard but imo PST achieved creating its own unique take on music that fits right into their word design.
I like PoE's music but it's too derivative, consciously or not. The stronghold theme is straight out of Lord Of The Rings, main theme is very Elderscrollsy, etc. I love the burial isle and sun in shadow music a lot, enough that I was annoyed when they got reused in the expansion.

Perkel

Arcane
For Priests, I definitely would like to see "a less is more" approach. Specifically, I would like Priests to choose spells similar to Wizards, but also have a chance to learn spells from temples and or enemies.

Frankly speaking i would love to see priest being entirely different run than mages.
I think chanters would be great priests design.

Or make them utility based. So they need items to cast spells like in Ultima.

Sizzle

Arcane
Yeah, Chanters would probably work better with that "learn different chants as you travel around the world" design than Priests.

That isn't to say that Priests couldn't perhaps learn some other spells (or some rituals to strengthen mighten their spells from temples or quests) besides the ones they automatically gain with levels.

Lambach

Arcane

But that would be a direct breach of Sawyer's design philosophy, so it's never going to happen. You're getting a 6-person Diablo with pause and you're gonna like it.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron

Frankly speaking i would love to see priest being entirely different run than mages.

That's an interesting take. I never considered a chanter approach, although that makes some sense (prayers during battle). Ultimately, I just do not like automatically receiving every spell. Instead, I would prefer to choose spells to create a specific toolkit (damage vs. buffs vs debuffs, etc) and improve on them, or to earn them through exploration or quests.

I always felt it was a missed opportunity to not have priests draw power/spells from worshiping or defacing temples of other gods (temple of Eothas, Magran's shrine(s), Ondera's temple/fortress, Shrine of Skaen). An example that comes to mind is Morrowind, where gods could give you quests/boons from shrines/temples.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet

Now this is interesting. If done properly priest chants that build up to spells could be great stuff.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
I always felt it was a missed opportunity to not have priests draw power/spells from worshiping or defacing temples of other gods (temple of Eothas, Magran's shrine(s), Ondera's temple/fortress, Shrine of Skaen). An example that comes to mind is Morrowind, where gods could give you quests/boons from shrines/temples.

Also this. It would add a lot to the game, i.e. in the first town corrupting the eothas temple as a priest of skaen or burning it down as a priest of eothas. Restoring it as a priest of Eothas etc..
Doing either of those would result in a spell or somesuch

NOW THAT would be something

Prime Junta

"Come then, Watcher, and watch. Behold the hands that quench the fires of Hel."

The symbol is vaguely Eothasian. Getting cryptic...

Edit: it is the symbol of Eothas.

012416-145243106-big.jpg

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hel? I didn't think Eora had that concept.

Also getting Eothas feel from this. And twitter says "Return", which might just mean that PoE returns or could refer in some capacity to Eothas.

Fry

Arcane
Nice to see the count down clock is accurate as long as you're in Obsidian's time zone. :lol:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hel is mentioned in the PoE guidebook...in a description of Saint Waidwen.

There's also a Hel's Gate Citadel.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom