Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Did they mention if the adra dragon may return in some form if you freed her in the first game? Even the ending slide said that she was taking a ship somewhere and the journal told me it's good to have a dragon ally.

Fry

Arcane
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3807509&pagenumber=101#post469456480

ar_dr.png

Prime Junta

Did they mention if the adra dragon may return in some form if you freed her in the first game? Even the ending slide said that she was taking a ship somewhere and the journal told me it's good to have a dragon ally.

They did hint that the decision is acknowledged, yes.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I don't get why people would opt for a non violent solution to these final Super hard dungeon bosses, like watchers keep and the endless paths.

Those are the enemies to best in the game, the tests of skill after long dungeons, to simply talk yourself out of a confrontation is meh.

Anyways, those multiclass names are terrible, even kingdoms of amalur did a better job at it. They should look at better literature than D&d source books.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I don't get why people would opt for a non violent solution to these final Super hard dungeon bosses, like watchers keep and the endless paths.

Those are the enemies to best in the game, the tests of skill after long dungeons, to simply talk yourself out of a confrontation is meh.

Because I killed the dragon in the first playthrough and now wanted the other solution? And keeping the next game in mind was a part of it actually. I'd like to see what the dragon does or how she can help me as an ally. Also, the experience and loot you get is pretty much the same, no matter whether you kill or free the dragon - except for the adra scales, I guess.

Parabalus

Arcane
Because I killed the dragon in the first playthrough and now wanted the other solution? And keeping the next game in mind was a part of it actually. I'd like to see what the dragon does or how she can help me as an ally. Also, the experience and loot you get is pretty much the same, not matter whether you kill or free the dragon - except for the adra scales, I guess.

I'm also interested whether the talent will carry over in some form, if you kill the Adra Dragon after talking to the slayer you get Scalebreaker, similarly getting Mental Prowess vs killing Llengraath - that stuff is priceless.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Because I killed the dragon in the first playthrough and now wanted the other solution? And keeping the next game in mind was a part of it actually. I'd like to see what the dragon does or how she can help me as an ally. Also, the experience and loot you get is pretty much the same, no matter whether you kill or free the dragon - except for the adra scales, I guess.
So you played PoE more than once? Hmm.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Weapon type immunities are soft counters - since you can still use a weapon you're not proficient in - and punish specialization. Enchantment level immunities are hard counters, and punish lack of resources. We were talking about the relative satisfaction of treasure hunting, and finding an enchanted weapon in Dungeons and Dragons is supposed to feel rewarding, and it does, because +1 is significant. Finding a +5 accuracy weapon in Pillars of Eternity is not nearly as rewarding, because +5 accuracy is much less significant. So in this respect we're not talking about the same issue, since weapon type immunities can never be a proper substitute for enchantment level immunities.

Well did you play PotD PoE? Because there +5 Accuracy makes a mighty difference (which can be substituted by stacking a pile of debuffs later on + some buffs). Sure, there is no immunity to mundane weapons / weapons below +5, but that Accuracy modifier IS important. Every single point counts. It's not only your ability to actually hit the enemy, but also to Crit vs Graze. With the common armor DR (something that wasn't nearly as common in DnD), Grazing often means no damage, regular hit - a little damage and only a crit will make a bigger impression. Heck, at level 3/4 I'm already fighting enemies with 16 DR! And 70ish Deflection! Accuracy is vital!
Plus the qualities also have increasing damage bonuses attached.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Most of these devs prefer a controlled environment where they aren't called out for every design decision, and have their ego masturbated by their fan base.

Only thing codexers might do is actually offer to masturbate Sawyer.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
if you repeat that a few times more you may actually believe it.

You are saying that people go on the Codex and ...lie? Or don't say the whole truth/censor themselves? ;d There's a reason devs avoid the Codex and it's not only because it's a nest of cynicism. We are even blacklisted by some devs/companies. Like Kem0sabe pointed out, they don't want to be called out for every design decision, while they should be.

Although

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I asked in the Fig campaign comments about the Adra Dragon and Thaos, if you spared them, and Feargus hinted at plans for some interaction, but nothing like ToB Sarevok.

Here ya go. I did not paste my entire question, which mentions Thaos and the Adra Dragon.
Feargus: Can we expect a Sarevok-type companion down the road (i.e., a former enemy that we spared)?

https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fusers%2Fprofile_images%2Fd4fa69cd78b5e5f5f6975cf35dce6fc8e9787f11%2Foriginal.png%3F1439917264

Feargus
developer
I don't know if we are doing something exactly like this, however we do have an idea surrounding this that is similar. But, I don't want to suggest that it's taking the main protagonist of a game and having him become a companion - it's not that.
Feb 5, 2017 | 02:58 PM

Last edited:

Sizzle

Arcane

At last, a good explanation of the entire system.

It doesn't look half-bad at all, actually.

And he's right - this seems much more transparent than the system from PoE1 (where for beasts, you knew what their damage reduction was only after you killed a few of 'em and added that info to the Bestiary, which was useless for unique creatures such as the Adra Dragon or the Kraken).

Unwanted

golgo21

Unwanted
Shitposter
You are saying that people go on the Codex and ...lie? Or don't say the whole truth/censor themselves? ;d There's a reason devs avoid the Codex and it's not only because it's a nest of cynicism. We are even blacklisted by some devs/companies. Like Kem0sabe pointed out, they don't want to be called out for every design decision, while they should be.

i can name a couple of devs that post regularly atm,vault dweller/styg/rajpdf guy from battle brothers.their games have created cults of worship,but also sworn enemies especially age of decadence/underrail.
people have passionately criticize their games,yet no clown have ever dare to start posting stuff like "i will maim your wifes cunt with a hook",so lets drop the charade that people avoid the codex because they fear criticism

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera

i can name a couple of devs that post regularly atm,vault dweller/styg/rajpdf guy from battle brothers.their games have created cults of worship,but also sworn enemies especially age of decadence/underrail.
people have passionately criticize their games,yet no clown have ever dare to start posting stuff like "i will maim your wifes cunt with a hook",so lets drop the charade that people avoid the codex because they fear criticism

No one cares. Kill yourself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom