Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Considering the only role you can play is Clint Eastwood Geralt of Gravelthroat, that's probably a fair statement.
You only quote the first part of a complete sentence. Despite the twitch combat (still way better than other twitch combat, and it has its subtleties, although once you master them, it doesn't present anything new) Witcher 3 has C&C, and its C&C is easily more prominent than that of some "undisputed" RPGs.

Regarding the Gravelthroat, I only switched to English audio in order to hear if Charles Dance's lines would sound at Tywin Lannister-level of coolness, and those minutes were enough to disgust me with the English narration of Geralt. Then I switched back to French, which I think fits the game immeasurably better. The Witcher games have always given you that option, and I really value the games for it. I play in non-English languages with English subtitles whenever possible, and this was one of the reasons I even picked up Witcher.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Is PS:T an RPG? :cool:

Dont know, but for sure its a story fagotry game. Not much fun in combat,its better to play Underrail for combat, and some good novel for the story. 100x times better than planescape.
If i had to call the shots i would call it an adventure game, where you uncover your story. Not much of different builds, both in terms of character and combat. Why so many people jizz on this game, is a mystery, nostalgia goggles probably, because they were in shock and awe, when they've played it being 6 years old. The story must have been really complex for such kids.

Please kill yourself.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Is PS:T an RPG? :cool:

Dont know, but for sure its a story fagotry game. Not much fun in combat,its better to play Underrail for combat, and some good novel for the story. 100x times better than planescape.
If i had to call the shots i would call it an adventure game, where you uncover your story. Not much of different builds, both in terms of character and combat. Why so many people jizz on this game, is a mystery, nostalgia goggles probably, because they were in shock and awe, when they've played it being 6 years old. The story must have been really complex for such kids.

Please kill yourself.
No, i'm going to continue annoying you with my existence.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Please kill yourself.
No, i'm going to continue annoying you with my existence.

giphy.gif

ushas

Savant
Mygaffer:
You guys should do an interview with Matt Barton, I think you are familiar with him and he does great long form interviews on this stuff. He reaches a really plugged in CRPG audience too.

Feargus:

I've done one before. I'll have Mikey, our PR guy, reach out again.
So perhaps if any of you are in the Matt's circle, you will be able to submit questions for his interview too. Maybe it will happen later, after the Fig. But he managed to post video with the Whalenought couple quiet swiftly during their kickstarter campaign.

Rev

Arcane
True. When I joined the 'Dex I though PoE was a good game. It lasted a few months. It is pure coincidence my opinion changed one month after release +M
Why did you rate it 4 out of 5 in the Codex 2012-2016 votings, then? Except because you probably thought the votings were anounymous and nobody would find out that you are trying to be edgy on the forum, I guess.

pAaJafp.png

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Why did you rate it 4 out of 5 in the Codex 2012-2016 votings, then? Except because you probably thought the votings were anounymous and nobody would find out that you are trying to be edgy on the forum, I guess.
THE MOMENT OF TRUTH

ArchAngel

Arcane
True. When I joined the 'Dex I though PoE was a good game. It lasted a few months. It is pure coincidence my opinion changed one month after release +M

pAaJafp.png
Because it was a really shitty year for RPGs, and a bad IE games clone was still better than other games that year. Well I gave Underrail 4 as well but only because of Deep Caverns.

Rev

Arcane
Because it was a really shitty year for RPGs, and a bad IE games clone was still better than other games that year. Well I gave Underrail 4 as well but only because of Deep Caverns.
So, by this logic I guess I should vote NWN2 4 or maybe even 5 because the other rpgs of 2006 were Oblivion, Gothic 3, Titan Quest and an expansion to Dungeon Siege II? Yeah, it totally makes sense. :M

Edit: Mazinsky, I saw you rate my post with a M'lady. What does that rating/button even mean?

ushas

Savant
So he's offering people cheese with their whine?
Or was he getting at something else?
Um, do you mean like an update about camping / resting on tuesday?

I feel sad that you and the person who dinged me for bad spelling didn't get the joke. :negative:

Failed reading comprehension indeed. Sensed you were joking, so tried to to poke. Be my apology that you have taught me a new (old) pun expression.

Parabalus

Arcane
So, by this logic I guess I should vote NWN2 4 or maybe even 5 because the other rpgs of 2006 were Oblivion, Gothic 3, Titan Quest and an expansion to Dungeon Siege II? Yeah, it totally makes sense. :M

You should give it those ratings because NWN2 deserves them.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Stop kicking the rotten old carcass, it stinks. Let's talk about positive things, like the trend for most of Josh's progressive innovations to RPG systems and "fixes" of D&D flawas being knocked out one by one:

mid-2015: Engagement is nerfed in a patch (forgot which of the ~6 that were out before TWM1 came out)
August 2015, TWM1: hard counters and immunities are back
Josh recognizes combat pacing issues
Info on Deadfire reveals that grazes will be removed for most attacks
Josh says only fighters and some weapons will create Engagement
Recovery times formulas are to be revised so that combat is easier to follow, a la the IE games, shall we hope?
Speculation: The above two seem to indicate a change in the default character movement speed during combat.

My opinion has always been that nearly every time Josh tried to "improve the formula" of the IE games, he has made combat worse. Nothing beats the personal initiative round as a way to space out important events during combat. There is no conceivable way that calculations with percentages and multiples can somehow land you with a system that's easier for newcomers to understand than a system which uses only whole numbers. Comparing spells by calculating the benefit of their effects which last for fractions of a second and increase a stat by a percentage, and then comparing these values is significantly more difficult and gives less information to a player than having him compare smaller whole numbers - for duration (in rounds or turns) or for effect (in a randomly generated number within a min-max interval, with +/- modifiers).

IMO, if there is an area where PoE is undoubtedly shit compared to the IE games, it's the combat. And I don't care about excuses in the lines of "they were learning the technology as they were developing the game", or "D&D has years of development behind it". Shit is shit, and for me it was evident from the first time I fired up the backer beta, that this is bigly inferior to the IE games. I was clicking around and each time I paused/unpaused I would go "Ok, this is a beta, right, they surely can't leave this like that in the final game, can they?"

I wonder how much of the silliness of PoE will end up being dismantled?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom