Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

One more change to wizards - grimoires' spell lists are static now:
This sounds good to me. I hope it means you can't remove spells from them (or learn them to put in other grimoires) but that there's room in found grimoires to put some of your spells in..
As I understood it, you won't be able to put your own spells in the grimoires, but you will be able to cast spells learned during level-up + spells in your grimoire.
Also, you won't be able to learn spells from the grimoires you find in the game world.

Ivan

Arcane
https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fusers%2Fprofile_images%2Fd4fa69cd78b5e5f5f6975cf35dce6fc8e9787f11%2Foriginal.png%3F1439917264

Feargus
DEVELOPER

We'll have a new update with a new stretch goal soon. We'll also have another update later (but not too much later) with Josh talking about romances.

Feb 2, 2017 | 09:04 PM

DO YOU REALLY LOVE *ME*? Or...ARE IN LOVE WITH ISELMYR?

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Jesus Fucking Christ who the fuck plays the game by spamming spells and going back to town every 1/4 of an area? I didn't know that was a thing people actually did, you can clean entire maps with just 1 rest no problem on both Hard and POTD. Only boss fights requiring you to empty your per-rest spells.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Feargus is clearly trolling :lol: If anything, Josh will explain why there will be no romances in the Dragon Age/BGII sense.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Feargus is clearly trolling :lol: If anything, Josh will explain why there will be no romances in the Dragon Age/BGII sense.

Pretty much what I thought, why would they bother adding romances when they have said time and time again that they don't "believe" in them?

Prime Junta

Josh could always talk about his actual romances. You know, with his glasses, his bicycle, his vintage Fiat...

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Combat changes are major :decline:

Why the fuck spend money and resources on patching and reworking PoE1, when they're just gonna hit a reset button for the sequel and basically remake the entire combat from the ground up? With PoE 3.0 combat being quite enjoyable, I thought they will just take that system to the sequel, maybe add a little bit more balance (TM).

Fucking seriously, for a second there I thought this has all the makings of a great sequel. They have the money, they had time to prepare, they already have the technology, they already have the lore, they already have the systems, what can possibly go wrong? Well apparently, Josh can go full retard and start changing fucking everything, because some neckbeards got high on Mountain Dew and kept backtracking for camping supplies after every fight.

Meh.

:littlemissfun:

ushas

Savant
Is it still all in JS's hands? I mean isn't Dave Williams supposed to be the new lead systems designer?

Prime Junta

I wonder if the reason MCA left was because of unrequited love from Sawyer.

Normally it's the one carrying the torch who leaves.

Imagine going to the office every day, your heart leaping when you hear a familiar step behind your cubicle, sinking when, once again, it passed you by, knowing it can never, ever be. Weeping silently into your pillow that night he left your work in a miserable heap on the cutting-room floor. Until one day, you know you just can't take it anymore. You take a deep breath, square your shoulders, and walk away into the wasteland, your heart an open wound but your head held high...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, interesting night, eh?

Weak per-encounter spells sounds like a system designed for better companion AI that fires them automatically. (Of course I also said the same about Tyranny and we saw how that turned out.)

I get the feeling that there will be complaints about this and it'll be heavily tweaked in beta.

I actually had a similar idea for rendering per-rest spells as a resource, but my idea was that there wouldn't even be per-encounter spells per se. They'd use "Empower" too, only much less of it. So a weak fireball costs 0.2 Empower while a normal one costs 1.0. That would make per-rest grognards feel better about this, I think.

Sentinel

Arcane
That confuses me. From BG1 to BG2 we had a couple new levels of spells that we could use due to the higher level cap.
From PoE1 to PoE2, 90% of the game you'll be going through the exact same levels (1st through 16th). Will we just reuse the exact same spells? I was hoping for higher level shit. Gay Rainbow Wall was ok but it was nowhere near the fun stuff BG2 had.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The change to spell system sounds disenheartening, but inspired by Randal I try to maintain a positive outlook on things. Really, I think IF the difference between normal and empowered spell is more than numerical and IF the difference is significant enough, this could actually work. So I'll reserve my judgement until I play it.

Prime Junta

Dafuq? They changed it! For a moment it read "Level cap 18-20 & Korean"

Edit: that's a complete non-stretch-goal btw, twice as much as what?

Starwars

Arcane
Still pretty excited about this but the latest day or so has been decline in terms of PoE2 news.

And double the VO? Ugh... can we get a stretch goal to change VO company or whatever? The PoE acting wasn't exactly great (barring a few characters) and Tyranny was fucking terrible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom