Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think it's just a joke post. :M

He was responding to somebody who asked if PoE2 happens enough time after PoE1 that you might run into Thaos' reincarnation.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Hadn't seen the new empower button on the UI.
Looks rather awesome®.

empower.png

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I recreated the shitty party from before to see if they are better. Not really. The Wizard does more damage, but is not enough on PotD due to the ridiculous number of mobs. The Engwithan titan has been buffed. It's manageable until he summons literally 8 sand blights and 2 scarabs, then they simply overwhelm the entire party and I can't do anything. It might be possible if I execute some kind of elaborate plan and manage to keep my Paladin alive, but it just seems overtuned. Beckoner is ridiculously OP and can solo pretty much everything if the stars align.

Quillon

Arcane
I recreated the shitty party from before to see if they are better. Not really. The Wizard does more damage, but is not enough on PotD due to the ridiculous number of mobs. The Engwithan titan has been buffed. It's manageable until he summons literally 8 sand blights and 2 scarabs, then they simply overwhelm the entire party and I can't do anything.

So before PotD was too easy and now its too hard that you can't do anything. Sawyer has an easy job meeting expectations :P

polo

Magister
I recreated the shitty party from before to see if they are better. Not really. The Wizard does more damage, but is not enough on PotD due to the ridiculous number of mobs. The Engwithan titan has been buffed. It's manageable until he summons literally 8 sand blights and 2 scarabs, then they simply overwhelm the entire party and I can't do anything. It might be possible if I execute some kind of elaborate plan and manage to keep my Paladin alive, but it just seems overtuned. Beckoner is ridiculously OP and can solo pretty much everything if the stars align.
Beckoner is that summoning subclass?

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
In PoE1 POTD basically was only difficult in first 6-7 levels or so until you got your party composition down and got your critical abilities. I want to be overwhelmed in PoE2 and sometimes only succeed by skin of my teeth with some lucky crit or something of that sort.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I did it. It lasted around 10-15 minutes. I ran around like a headless chicken, lured the titan away from the sand blights, spam summoned drakes to distract him, withered him down and then it was easy to take care of the sand blights that were left. Either my party is ridiculously shit or it's ridiculously overtuned because it's not difficult in the usual sense. There is no point to wearing any armor at all for this fight, he can penetrate plate + the Barb passive for extra armor and he can easily two-shot my Paladin with 10 CON.

Sentinel

Arcane
Hadn't seen the new empower button on the UI.
Looks rather awesome®.

empower.png
That looks a lot nicer. Still don't know why it's so fucking huge though. Is this coming to tablets or something? Oh right, console release.

Was the portraits folder posted like 50 pages ago from PoE2? 'Cause I did notice there were 2 Thaos portraits, one with the mask and another without. Don't think the unmasked version was in PoE1.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Just noticed that they added the option to write notes in the journal. I hope some optional stuff makes use of this, player-written journal is best journal.

Also Lacrymas I suspect difficulty to be distorted by the beta setup. But if they buffed the titan, at least it means they readapted some encounters to their system adjustments.

That looks a lot nicer. Still don't know why it's so fucking huge though. Is this coming to tablets or something? Oh right, console release.
More like " how to make sure the average goon doesn't forget its existence past the tutorial pop up "
I mean it's animated and shit. The mouse cursor goes all sparkles when you click it. Feels like the player's about to blow something up.

Don't know if it's from this update or months old, but the quests in the journal can also be sorted by location or by difficulty.
Like in any good mmo.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
I used Empower on everyone in this fight. Everything is actually a bit easier, just the titan was some crazy jump in difficulty. He has high defenses, which means you can't debuff him, he summons too many mobs at half health and he can two-shot my Paladin with 10 CON, Gilded Enmity and the Barb passive for extra armor. I dropped the plate because it was pointless in the last fight.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Don't know if this one is new too, as I haven't checked the beta for months, but I hadn't seen this version of the map.

map.png

Some option to leave at any moment, some emblem and some info on the city. The imports/exports part is intriguing.
Really like the visual aspect of it.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Yes, the demographic statistics feels a bit too over the top. Why not just a short description? I guess that's the "show don't tell" for you, brought to you by just about everyone who misunderstands it.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
I guess my rig is older than I thought. Performance is still p.bad for me. The beta also contains a couple of bugs I hadn't encountered before.
> the ui fucks up when I try to get details on attack resolution
> equipped weapons flicker frantically in the inventory screen

On the good side, which may or may not feature months old stuff :
> game looks damn fucking good. when sorcery flies around in a fight, it's visually compelling
> new speeds are a welcome addition. I recommend position 2 for fights

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I don't get why people think that the game should be balanced around POTD,like a half percent of people play on that difficulty.

Lacrymas

Arcane
That's not what we think at all. It shouldn't be balanced around any specific difficulty, each difficulty should be balanced on a case-by-case basis.

Anyway, the way armor and Penetration work still sucks. It's either too good and nobody can touch my Paladin or pointless and better to not wear any armor at all depending on the fight.

Sentinel

Arcane

Don't think the unmasked version was in PoE1.

Sure it was. It's the portrait you usually see. I'm not sure you actually ever see him masked again after the beginning.

All of the PoE1 portraits are included in PoE2's files.

Yeah you're right. Didn't remember him masked at all.

Why does he wear the mask? Can't he like basically take control of anyone that spots him and make them forget about it if he's spotted? He doesn't even seem to have any qualms about killing innocents so I doubt he's worried about getting caught. He'd probably just kill the fucker that spotted him doing something naughty.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Yeah thaos is unmasked in the second half of the game. I remember that his portrait was drawn in a manner that concealed his eyes (see crag hack there for an equivalent), so it might explain why you don't remember him without his mask. I mean we never see his eyes, and eyes are the gateway to the soul.
get it ? wink wink

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom