Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
We've had baby's first RPGs too many times now. D:OS, nu-Shadowruns, PoE (baby's first IE game), DA:O (baby's first RPG in general), WL2 (baby's first post-apocalyptic RPG), etc.

Efe

Erudite
yea you could see the ending.
who cares about bugged stats, perks that dont work and whatnot? its not like we are expecting a challenge from these types of games.. right? just reload a couple and its a cakewalk till the end.
i wish they just let us fill a questionnaire and show ending slides according to that

Quillon

Arcane
It was pretty stable except for "double clicking equipment" bug which got patched right away. I did a completionist playthrough at release; sidestepped the bug mentioned and had only 1 bugged quest in act 3. There might be systemic/stat/item/other quest etc bugs I haven't noticed/ran into but for sure it was in way better shape than f.i. DOS2 at release/even after its initial patches.

If they had delayed PoE for another 6 months they themselves would have encountered & fixed maybe 10% of the bugs that thousands of players had found right after release, worth the wait? Regardless, they'll decide if the game is stable enough for release and will accept the consequences. Our options are "play it right away, hope its stable" or wait out some patches/whole lotta patches or declare it bugfest/shit and shit on it indefinitely, the codex way.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
When I said "if it ain't broke", I meant in terms of being the right time to release the game to maximize sales etc.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
yea you could see the ending.
who cares about bugged stats, perks that dont work and whatnot? its not like we are expecting a challenge from these types of games.. right? just reload a couple and its a cakewalk till the end.
i wish they just let us fill a questionnaire and show ending slides according to that
Meh i am storyfag,don't care about the rest. If i can finish the game and the mechanics are serviceable i am ok. Don't care if some spell does 12 damage instead of 11 or if some class is op,as long as i can enjoy the game. Not everyone is in search of some brutal survival game.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Well, technically, you couldn't get out of Raedric's keep, you could see the UI, but the game world and models were just a black screen. I had to console my way out of there. It was obviously unfinished even without that, though, the combat was a complete mess that took 2 expansions and countless patches to fix.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Well, technically, you couldn't get out of Raedric's keep, you could see the UI, but the game world and models were just a black screen. I had to console my way out of there. It was obviously unfinished even without that, though, the combat was a complete mess that took 2 expansions and countless patches to fix.
Good thing that we are old gamers used to consoles. Anything that i could fix with a few words is nothing important. I am really annoyed when games don't have consoles. Still on release it had only few blocking bugs....or maybe just this one. Vampire on release was a mess,yet it was a glorious mess oozing atmosphere and soul. Arcanum to didn't have a smooth sailing on release.I don't think that POE is the most amazing rpg,but it is a decent game that you could replay and still have fun with it. All games have bugs on release and it is rarely a valid argument. Valid argument is for games like Expedition:Vikings and Spellforce 3. In this games you couldn't take&finish quests and had to wait for 20 patches to be finishable. That is why i love Bethesda's engine,it is easy do bypass and mess around. Hope they decide to make new version and not a new type of engine.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
i don't think its that hard to understand why DOS was well received

DOS was shit

+

General audiences love shit

= ??? ?????

Big Rigs wasn't a huge success; clearly this "theory" doesn't hold water, even with elementary inspection, and a replacement that doesn't have the explanatory power of a limp goldfish is needed. A lot of people are too caught up in thinking that the way a game plays has all the bearing on how successful it will be; people usually can't play a game before buying it short of pirating it, and their theories ignore that fact. I won't offer something new that fills this gap, but I will say that marketing was a large factor in D:OS2's success.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It requires a certain level of shit, though, it's not enough to be literally broken like Big Rigs, it needs more manipulation for the normies to not see through it. Flashiness, Awesome Buttons, 3D, mainstream coverage, basically working even with bugs up the ass.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
It's certainly a mystery. The level of success is quite unprecedented in the modern era. I just took a quick look and DOS2 is currently sitting at more copies and sells at higher price than Dishonored 2. Let that sink in for a minute. Goofy indie turn-based RPG, priced near AAA levels and with barely any discounts, moves more units at a higher price than AAA blockbuster with full backing of Zenimax marketing. And Dishonored 2 isn't even a dud, it was well received, well reviewed, and actually pretty good game.

It's absolute madness.

Ent

Savant
Playing with multiple people is the future man (and not one I'm particularly looking forward too). Some of my friends that don't even particularly like RPGs played the game for a solid couple of weeks and did so in multiplayer sessions. They openly admitted too that they probably wouldn't have played the game if they had to manage more than 1 or 2 characters.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The IE games were never intended for multiplayer, they were conceived as a D&D campaign you can play by yourself. NWN, yeah, but it found more success as a single-player game. Maybe the success of D:OS is due to the lack of RPGs in the mainstream, so it's a novelty that will wear off after the next big shooter comes along.

Tigranes

Arcane
I remember trying BG2 MP one time. We took 30 minutes to roll characters, then 30 to do the opening dialogues. Then we quit forever.

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I remember joining a BG2 MP session through Gamespy back in the early 00's which had reached the Copper Coronet. I joined with an almost new premade character, and people wondered why my character didn't have Chrom Fayer or similar.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Dishonored is the best thing that has come out of AAA gaming in years, maybe a decade. I'm amazed that they were even made.

Jezal_k23

While I think the Dishonored games really are great, I believe that Dishonored 2's reputation was established on release - a buggy, awfully performing mess. That's what I remember people said about it when it came out. It barely mattered that the gameplay was actually good, because no one was talking about it. This might have influenced sales and maybe the stigma isn't gone yet.

DOS2 on the other hand is a critical darling and it seems to be a huge hit among the casual PC gamer crowd as well, and from what I've seen it's considered outright flawless, given that I haven't seen anyone criticize it anywhere other than here or other more specialized RPG forums.

agris

Arcane
Patron
The interplay of elemental physics in D:OS's spellcasting is an important element of its success, IMO. It's got a Minecraft-esque appeal - creating fun interactions out of basic building blocks. And all in colorful, vivid graphics.

Also seems to be something that PoE2 is attempting to adapt to some extent (exploding barrels!)

Dude, exploding barrels is so Diablo 1.

PoE2 is clearly riding the D1 hype-wave.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom