Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Quillon

Arcane
Some stuff...feels funny :P fuck it I'm going to bed.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
We know most reviewers don't finish games, so every mainstream or close to mainstream review should either be ignored or doubted so much it basically doesn't say anything useful.

jdinatale

Cipher
We know most reviewers don't finish games, so every mainstream or close to mainstream review should either be ignored or doubted so much it basically doesn't say anything useful.

The problem is you're focusing on the things in life that don't really matter. When I was a kid I had hopes and dreams. We all did. But over time, the daily grind gets in the way and you miss the things that really matter, even though they are right in front of you, staring you in the face. I think the next time you should ask yourself "Am I on the right track here?". I don't mean to be rude but people like you I really pity. So maybe you can take advantage of the knowledge I have given you now. Good luck.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
Intellectual honesty is the only force that propels society forward. Everything else just maintains the status quo.

I don't think he wanted to be taken seriously, though.

Edit: That is, I think jdinatale was joking. No man could be that overbearingly condescending without a hint of irony.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

The problem is you're focusing on the things in life that don't really matter. When I was a kid I had hopes and dreams. We all did. But over time, the daily grind gets in the way and you miss the things that really matter, even though they are right in front of you, staring you in the face. I think the next time you should ask yourself "Am I on the right track here?". I don't mean to be rude but people like you I really pity. So maybe you can take advantage of the knowledge I have given you now. Good luck.
:despair:
How the fuck did you come up with this? From ignoring retarded journos you came to the conclusion that some self reflection and soul searching is in need for dear Lacrymas. Are you some kind of magician that could see the nature of man by just looking at single random post?

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

How the fuck did you come up with this? From ignoring retarded journos you came to the conclusion that some self reflection and soul searching is in need for dear Lacrymas. Are you some kind of magician that could see the nature of man by just looking at single random post?
Presumably, he read more than one of Lacrymas' posts and the truth became self-evident. :cool:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Presumably, he read more than one of Lacrymas' posts and the truth became self-evident. :cool:
Then it is not much of truth. The same could be said about all of us by default. We are wasting our time on a internet forum instead of living life to the max. Most of the codexers are intelligent enough to see their real life for what it is. Some decide to self-eject while others accept it for what it is, finally there are people that already have lived what they wanted to live and decided lethargy take over.

santino27

Arcane
Patron

Then it is not much of truth. The same could be said about all of us by default. We are wasting our time on a internet forum instead of living life to the max. Most of the codexers are intelligent enough to see their real life for what it is. Some decide to self-eject while others accept it for what it is, finally there are people that already have lived what they wanted to live and decided lethargy take over.

I don't think anyone took his post seriously other than you, and hopefully nobody took my reply seriously either. We're on a forum infamous for (among less savory traits) fixating on minor details to the point of utter myopia, so someone posting that Lacrymas or anyone else should radically alter their perspective is nothing but silliness.

(Also, Lacrymas can defend himself, and pretty much always does.)

:)

Edited to correct tone. And to spell Lacrymas correctly. Fucking hell. :P

Last edited:

Fairfax

Arcane
This is the list of known issues sent with the review copies, in case they aren't fixed by the time the game is unlocked:
  • You cannot start the final Vailian Trading Company quest if you have Maia (the Ranger) in your party.
  • There are a few achievements being granted incorrectly.
  • Some larger scenes may have lower frame rates.
  • Voice over work is still being finalized so some VO may sound a bit off.
  • Music and sound effect volume can be inconsistent.
  • There is a rare chance to boot to the main menu when you transition to the World Map.
  • When you are below deck on your ship, companions may revert to lower levels if you return to the World Map. You can avoid this by going above deck before clicking on the button to return to the World Map.
  • There is a chance that the guards will attack the party after siding with the Queen during the "Taking out the Traders" quest.
  • Music in the game has been optimized. The optimal setting is now 100%.(Up from 30%)
  • In rare cases, the client may crash when transitioning to the World Map.
  • It is possible for players to get stuck in combat in the Deadlight Court if players alert the fort and are seen from behind the locked door. Most times this occurs, combat will end if the party moves to the side.
  • Hired Adventurers do not play voice over during their character creation.
  • There are some characters that are missing a line or two of voice over.
  • Shadows in the final ship fleet battle may be distorted.
  • Players may get stuck in combat if they have a mutiny on Story difficulty. This can be resolved by changing the difficulty to Easy, allowing the crew to die, then switching back to Story.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
This is the list of known issues sent with the review copies, in case they aren't fixed by the time the game is unlocked:
  • You cannot start the final Vailian Trading Company quest if you have Maia (the Ranger) in your party.
  • There is a rare chance to boot to the main menu when you transition to the World Map.
  • When you are below deck on your ship, companions may revert to lower levels if you return to the World Map. You can avoid this by going above deck before clicking on the button to return to the World Map.
  • There is a chance that the guards will attack the party after siding with the Queen during the "Taking out the Traders" quest.
  • Music in the game has been optimized. The optimal setting is now 100%.(Up from 30%)
  • It is possible for players to get stuck in combat in the Deadlight Court if players alert the fort and are seen from behind the locked door. Most times this occurs, combat will end if the party moves to the side.
  • Players may get stuck in combat if they have a mutiny on Story difficulty. This can be resolved by changing the difficulty to Easy, allowing the crew to die, then switching back to Story.
Better than I'd expected, but sounds like I'll still be waiting until aat least the first patch. The orlan baby and Maia bugs in particular seem pretty egregious.

Hellion

Arcane
Regarding reviews ("pro" or otherwise), their only reason of existence is (or should be) to clearly convey what the reviewer thought when playing the game being reviewed. What he liked and why, what he disliked and why, how it compares to other games he's played or to any other gaming experiences he's had etc, with everything being properly supported with facts/arguments so that even people that end up disagreeing with the points being raised can say "ok, I don't necessarily agree, but this guy's reasoning does have some merit at least".

Unfortunately, it is difficult to summarize all of the above with just a simple 9/10 or 10/10 score that gets stamped at the end of the review. And even more unfortunately, people tend to just skip to the score and ignore everything else, which is the important context under which the score is being awarded in the first place. Under this context, the reviews of games that end up having the exact same score can be vastly different in tone (and in many cases, a game with a lower score can actually be perceived more favorably by the reviewer compared to a game that has a bit higher score), but 9 people out of 10 will just say "oh he gave the same score to both of them, so he thinks they are exactly as good/bad" or "he gave X 9/10 and Y 9.1/10, so he clearly thinks Y is superior in every way".

I really wish review scores would just vanish alltogether. This would make writing reviews easier and increase the audience's critical thinking ability at the same time. Not to mention making incompetent reviews easier to spot. But, alas, "lol tl-dr but he gave it 9/10, so he clearly loves it and therefore sucks as a reviewer" is where we're at and where we'll probably stay.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I don't think anyone took his post seriously other than you, and hopefully nobody took my reply seriously either. We're on a forum infamous for (among less savory traits) fixating on minor details to the point of utter myopia, so someone posting that Lacrymas or anyone else should radically alter their perspective is nothing but silliness.

(Also, @Lacyrmas can defend himself, and pretty much always does.)

:)

Edited to correct tone.
Oh didn't defend Lacrymas per se (if he needed it i would have),i was making friendly banter seeing that the post is pretty strange. I wasn't going for serious discussion until you quote me. Also i have no idea if the guy was serious or not.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Most of the bugs are negligible but there is some serious bugs like reverting to lower level,fucked up quests or being attacked because of bad scripting. It sounds pretty bad to me,more potentially game breaking bugs than PoE1.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Chris Avellone pouring out his life story in a thread and Fantadamat making an actual intelligent and insightful post, these are truly strange days on the Codex

Pizzashoes

Scholar
I'm confident trying to become better writers and rhetoricians while shooting the shit about our hobby is not wasting our time. Reading IGN or some other vapid mess is though.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Chris Avellone pouring out his life story in a thread and Fantadamat making an actual intelligent and insightful post, these are truly strange days on the Codex
Don't forget that even DU got fired up in that thread. I can make pretty intelligent posts mate,it is just that there is rarely any actual discussions needing it ;).

santino27

Arcane
Patron

Don't forget that even DU got fired up in that thread. I can make pretty intelligent posts mate,it is just that there is rarely any actual discussions needing it ;).
I still remember your salad posts with great fondness! :D

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I still remember your salad posts with great fondness! :D
I have pretty decent traditional "bread" recipe on my profile page. You could try it out if you like ;) .

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom