Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Would be immensely funny if that was the only one in general.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Regarding how poe compares to ie games in terms of writing, as I replayed through bg2 recently I was struck by one particular npc in the harper's HQ. She was sitting there, right at the entrance, seemingly present for no other purpose that answering two questions along the lines of "what are the harpers ? how are they organized in athkatla ?".
It struck me after like 5-10 hours of playthrough, damn she reads like a npc from poe, specifically because I hadn't met any other character like this prior to that.
If anyone happens to have a savefile in bg2's chapter 2, I'd be interested to check the exact lines there. I remember them as exceptionally bland and even weird compared to the rest of the game, somehow.

Last edited:
Comparing P:E to DA:I and ME:A???
How shameless can you get?

Which games would you pick that better represent the average modern RPG?

Next you will be comparing P:E combat to DA:I to justify why P:E combat is enjoyable.

At least it doesn't have level-scaled throwaway loot. :cough: DOS2 :cough:

So is P:E a modern RPG like DAI and should be treated in the tier of DAI i.e. Trash. Or is it a "classic" comparable to the IE games and should be judged by those standards?

The real DnD classic is and always ill be Dark Sun Shattered Lands. Now I won't be a total dick and ask you to compare P:E to the classic masterpiece of Dark Sun.

and the loot cancer in larian games is well known and well criticized. You know what Larain succeeds at? Fun combat and robust games systems (in DOS 1 atleast).

You come as even a bigger cocksucker than infinitron when it comes to P:E.

Compare P:E loot and world to BG2 at least not DA:I for fucks sake.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Sorry to disappoint, she sterile
Doesn't prevent...
Even better, I can fill her up whenever I get a chance! I guess someone else is on the list for getting knocked up. Hell, every woman should just get in line, we'll improvise from there.
... oh.

Sometimes when I ponder the marvels of this new communications era I do thought experiments in the vein of "what if I had to explain this to my dear old mamma"

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:what:

The fuck! People actually think that PoE have good writing. You guys need to read more and play more rpgs. Would recommend trying out shadowrun games,they do have great writing. Also anyone who thinks that PoE have better writing than IE games deserves to be fucked up with a screwdriver in a dark allay!
You are telling me that this:

1:25
Is better than this:

Or this:

Are you fucking retarded?????????????????????????????????

Prime Junta

itt someone who considers BG2 romances to be well written sets himself up as arbiter of taste in good writing

Ruzen

Savant
:what:

The fuck! People actually think that PoE have good writing. You guys need to read more and play more rpgs. Would recommend trying out shadowrun games,they do have great writing. Also anyone who thinks that PoE have better writing than IE games deserves to be fucked up with a screwdriver in a dark allay!
You are telling me that this:

1:25
Is better than this:

Or this:

Are you fucking retarded?????????????????????????????????

Talk about exaggeration. Pillars has good writing but the majority of people problem with it was the lore dumbing and the amount of portrayal. In today's world, people don't enjoy reading noirish long portrayals in novels. That's why people were bored reading Tides of Numenera too. Especially in digital gaming where you already have higher resolutions and graphical achievements you don't have to describe the surroundings that deeply anymore. Have to evolve the genre at some point. PoE writing wasn't great and all because It suffered the same thing too but it was enough to call good.

polo

Magister
I didn't even finish it, but PoE did have some bits of good writing. But as i said, bits, overall its pretty poor. Then again, BG2 overall writing its not very good either, but it has more bits of good writing than PoE for sure.
Also the backer writing everywhere and shit made it awful, made me skip a lot of text the first time i played it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
itt someone who considers BG2 romances to be well written sets himself up as arbiter of taste in good writing
Romance in every game is shit! And BG2 just have the best one. Please tell me oooo great connoisseur of fine literature(Lenin's and Stalin's manifestos),what is the best romance writing that you know of? Witcher 3 i take it?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's not a "system", it's just well written characters participating and having an influence in a story. Just like it should be. You know what they are doing in the narrative and there's a reason they are there. The exchanges between them solidify this, they aren't the Bioware character interactions that mostly go nowhere and are simply there to fill the silence.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
There seems to me that there's an influence system in there, which unlocks the capacity to train some of them to the ways of the force. And which has Kreia as its particular, obvious exception. Also unlocks more conversations options, now that i recall.
It ain't just the writing, which is good too. The design itself is cool.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
best romance in an RPG for me would be Fei and Elly in Xenogears but the marriage and kids you have in Dragon Quest 5 is more realistic and probably more appealing.

ive never encountered a memorable romance in a crpg.

Prime Junta

what is the best romance writing that you know of? Witcher 3 i take it?

In video games? Planescape: Torment, without any question. The fact that goons don't even recognise it as romance because there's no boinking or happily-ever-after just underlines the point.

(All of the Witchers are above par, good daytime TV quality, but not even close to PS:T.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom