Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Seeing as there are "living" Engwithans still around, you'd think they and their soul manipulation methods wouldn't be such a mystery, especially given the existence of Watchers.

2house2fly

Magister
Engwithans having some involvement in the cycle of reincarnation seems like a new bit of lore

2house2fly

Magister
There's some fampyrs in Od Nua, as well as some constructs and ghosts there and the Burial Isle, and the tree spirits in Twin Elms who are about that old iirc. Oh and the gods

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
btw will this game have biawacs
Well they were caused by Thaos turning on the Engwithan machines. So as long as there are adra-based machines across the Deadfire archipelago and someone can turn them on, then yes, there could biawacs.
Not really,they never explained them and people were acting as it was a natural occurrence. The machines were preventing souls to reach the babies not creating biawacs. The biawc was active before they activated the machine....you could even say that it was active days before activating the machine,after all you can rest a few times in that dungeon. Biawacs was pretty interesting mystery for me,but sadly they forgot to add them to the game. It was a deadend idea.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
There's some fampyrs in Od Nua, as well as some constructs and ghosts there and the Burial Isle, and the tree spirits in Twin Elms who are about that old iirc. Oh and the gods
The Twin Elms were not that old,they even pointed out that they don't know some shit from that time because they are not that old.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Not really,they never explained them and people were acting as it was a natural occurrence. The machines were preventing souls to reach the babies not creating biawacs. The biawc was active before they activated the machine....you could even say that it was active days before activating the machine,after all you can rest a few times in that dungeon. Biawacs was pretty interesting mystery for me,but sadly they forgot to add them to the game. It was a deadend idea.

Yeah, I thought so, too, at the beginning, but it's not true. The idea is that the machines Thaos was manipulating are causing the biawacs and that's how the souls intended to empower Woedica are sheared from the babies and people in general.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Yeah, I thought so, too, at the beginning, but it's not true. The idea is that the machines Thaos was manipulating are causing the biawacs and that's how the souls intended to empower Woedica are sheared from the babies and people in general.
I am pretty sure that it is not true. It could be possible that activating the machines will have a biawac as a side effect in the area. Everyone acted as biawacs are natural disaster that happened all around the world,mainly in wield areas that are not heavily populated. There is no way to use a biawac as a way to take the souls from the babies,after all it turns the people that have lost their souls to dust. Babies just were becoming a soulless husks or wild animalistic creatures. Also if there is biawac in some city,it will wipe everyone.
Just read their lore on the biawacs,here it is. It doesn't sound like they are connected to the main story.

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Bîaŵac
Bîaŵac, Biamhac (BEE-uh-waks, Glanfathan), or "spirit winds", they are storms that can rip the soul out of a person's body, often creating blights.

Biamhacs rise up in cursed ruins, shearing souls away from the bodies of their owners. They appear suddenly and without warning, leaving victims little hope of escape. Strong-souled people are not harmed by biamhacs, but affected individuals are instantly reduced to a catatonic state and eventually their bodies shutdown.[1] Souls that are ripped free from their bodies and caught in the center of the storm, may become stuck together and bonded with any other elemental substances in the maelstrom, often creating blights.[2] Survival, while rare, is possible, if a person has a soul sufficiently "strong" to hang on to its associated body despite the storm's attempts to tear it loose.

The discovery of numerous biamhacs in Eir Glanfath during its early exploration resulted in thousands of Aedyr deaths. The deadliness and unpredictability of these events make biamhacs the most feared phenomenon of Eir Glanfath.

mildTea

Learned
I am pretty sure that it is not true. It could be possible that activating the machines will have a biawac as a side effect in the area. Everyone acted as biawacs are natural disaster that happened all around the world,mainly in wield areas that are not heavily populated. There is no way to use a biawac as a way to take the souls from the babies,after all it turns the people that have lost their souls to dust. Babies just were becoming a soulless husks or wild animalistic creatures. Also if there is biawac in some city,it will wipe everyone.
Just read their lore on the biawacs,here it is. It doesn't sound like they are connected to the main story.

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Bîaŵac
Bîaŵac, Biamhac (BEE-uh-waks, Glanfathan), or "spirit winds", they are storms that can rip the soul out of a person's body, often creating blights.

Biamhacs rise up in cursed ruins, shearing souls away from the bodies of their owners. They appear suddenly and without warning, leaving victims little hope of escape. Strong-souled people are not harmed by biamhacs, but affected individuals are instantly reduced to a catatonic state and eventually their bodies shutdown.[1] Souls that are ripped free from their bodies and caught in the center of the storm, may become stuck together and bonded with any other elemental substances in the maelstrom, often creating blights.[2] Survival, while rare, is possible, if a person has a soul sufficiently "strong" to hang on to its associated body despite the storm's attempts to tear it loose.

The discovery of numerous biamhacs in Eir Glanfath during its early exploration resulted in thousands of Aedyr deaths. The deadliness and unpredictability of these events make biamhacs the most feared phenomenon of Eir Glanfath.

You're probably right. I thought that the biawac was caused by the machines, because the effect is quite similar when you compare the prolog in the camp with the scene where Thaos activates the machine at the beginning. Seems like they can occur both naturally and as a side effect in the small area around the Engwithan machines upon activation.

If the Aedyrans didn't know about them, it makes me wonder what was so special about Eir Glanfath? High concentraion of adra? If they are related to that magical stone, can there be then even stronger biawacs in the Deadfire Archipelago since it seems the luminous adra is even more powerful than the usual kind?

2house2fly

Magister
They may be naturally occurring (though note that that lore entry says they occur in "cursed ruins" and are "numerous" in Eir Glanfath) but also the Engwithan machine you see at the start of the game causes one. The turning to dust is probably an effect of proximity; Heodan and Calisca aren't turned to dust

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yes, they are natural occurrence, but Thaos did force them to happen with the machines. We talked about this here. And continues here.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Yeah in that regard, it's surprising that people don't know more about the engwithans. Who hasn't taken a stroll down Od Nua seriously ?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yes, they are natural occurrence, but Thaos did force them to happen with the machines. We talked about this here. And continues here.
It is really sad how we are debating about shitty writing and coming up with better lore dumps than Obsidian could. We are debating the semantics of biawacs when the reality is that even the writers don't know the answer because it was dropped idea. Most likely they decided to go different route but already had a ready level or something similar.

Yeah in that regard, it's surprising that people don't know more about the engwithans. Who hasn't taken a stroll down Od Nua seriously ?

Another instance of bad writing,i would have captured the bastard and tortured him for the information. It was really slopy how they just put bunch of advanced ancient people in your cellar and acted as if it is normal. If only the writing was at least decent,it would have been great story/mystery. As a storyfag,it really pains me to think how disjointed and filled with plotholes the writing is.:argh: Pox on them for pulling this shit!!!

2house2fly

Magister
Yet more wishing for lore dumps. What's so wrong with seeing the machine create something that looks like a biawac, which kills your friends like biawacs do, and inferring based on that?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yet more wishing for lore dumps. What's so wrong with seeing the machine create something that looks like a biawac, which kills your friends like biawacs do, and inferring based on that?
We don't know how a biawacs kills,we never saw it. You get in the cave just before it actually happened,there was a little bit of text describing it,but i don't remember it. It is just assumed that the machine is making the biawac and nobody really knows if it is true. Another huge assumption is that there is a correlation between the two of them. Also i don't get it what is all that screeching about having too much lore! The problem of the game is not that it have too much lore,on the contrary,it doesn't have enough of it and the one it have is not clear. The real problem is the lore presentation and the poor writing.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

We don't know how a biawacs kills,we never saw it. You get in the cave just before it actually happened,there was a little bit of text describing it,but i don't remember it. It is just assumed that the machine is making the biawac and nobody really knows if it is true. Another huge assumption is that there is a correlation between the two of them. Also i don't get it what is all that screeching about having too much lore! The problem of the game is not that it have too much lore,on the contrary,it doesn't have enough of it and the one it have is not clear. The real problem is the lore presentation and the poor writing.
Yeah, I never fully understood the bawuztit, I just knew a plot device killed the two tutorial NPCs, but not me fsr.

Lacrymas

Arcane
No, the problem with the lore is that 99% of it doesn't have anything to do with what you are doing. You know that famous exchange "There are just too many notes, herr Mozart"? While it's used to mock excessive and ignorant criticism, it kind of works with PoE1, there are too many notes where there shouldn't be and not enough where there should be.

2house2fly

Magister
We don't know how a biawacs kills,we never saw it. You get in the cave just before it actually happened,there was a little bit of text describing it,but i don't remember it. It is just assumed that the machine is making the biawac and nobody really knows if it is true. Another huge assumption is that there is a correlation between the two of them.
They didn't go to all the trouble of setting up biawacs and what they do, only to show a machine causing something that looks a lot like what you've been told about biawacs, for no reason

Lacrymas

Arcane
Wow, a whole 9 enemy types! Most of which we knew of already! Such diverse, much variety, wow. There are 60 enemy types in Painkiller, an FPS. 107 if we count the mediocre "fan" expansion, but I wouldn't.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
No, the problem with the lore is that 99% of it doesn't have anything to do with what you are doing. You know that famous exchange "There are just too many notes, herr Mozart"? While it's used to mock excessive and ignorant criticism, it kind of works with PoE1, there are too many notes where there shouldn't be and not enough where there should be.
You need a world building for an rpg game,if the lore is 80% about your pissant doing stupid shit,then the game will not be much fun. Still i do agree with you on some level mate. Lets just agree that the writing is pretty bad on most levels.

We don't know how a biawacs kills,we never saw it. You get in the cave just before it actually happened,there was a little bit of text describing it,but i don't remember it. It is just assumed that the machine is making the biawac and nobody really knows if it is true. Another huge assumption is that there is a correlation between the two of them.
They didn't go to all the trouble of setting up biawacs and what they do, only to show a machine causing something that looks a lot like what you've been told about biawacs, for no reason
Well,modern day game industry. Does everything that people do has to have some reason? As i said before,most likely a story path changed and decided to leave it because remaking the level and rewriting the dialogue is too much of a work,deadlines and all that shit. During development things like that happen. Do you really think that the writing is good in PoE? Honest question mate.

frajaq

Erudite
designing enemies for FPS is the same thing as designing them for RPGs, got it :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom