Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It might be worth it for a Wizard subclass, kinda like Wild Mage, but getting only benefits. Sounds dumb, though.

Agreed. I hate the idea. If the impact is sizable, you're stuck basically trying to plan around a random occurrence... like taking a wild mage into a fight and having to bank on their fireball getting boosted. If it's not sizable (and in a game where everything goes into decimal points, it's almost a given it won't be sizable), then what's the point?

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Isn't Sherry an alt of someone who left and is now purposefully parodying a newbie?

That was the original assumption. At this point, it's almost unfathomable someone would be trying to carry the joke on for more than a yea.... No... wait, slavish dedication to a singular goal, no matter the cost? It's definitely the alt of a codexer.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Sherry posts very irregularly, so it's not hard to imagine someone hopping on their alt for a post once or twice a week.

Ventidius

Arbiter
I haven't really kept up with this one. Are they still using the same exp system of the first game, where no exp was awarded for enemies dispatched except when filling the bestiary?

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It just occured to me that this ruleset is now six years old...
Six years old failiure.

The IE is 20 years old. It's still objectively better.

AD&D rules were a lot older than that, at least until 3E came out. The IE games had the advantage of relying on a preexisting system; they didn’t need to reinvent the wheel. Still, Obsidian deliberately chose to reinvent the wheel—twice!—which was perhaps not the brightest move.

What bugs the hell out of me is that I liked PoE 3.0—they got to a pretty good place. Adding quality, adjustable companion AI settings would eliminate a ton of the unnecessary button clicking from the first game. They could’ve just stopped there.

Are most of the changes we’ve seen in order to balance all of the new multiclass builds? Drives me nuts.

I really feel for anyone who paid up for beta access as it seems clear we’ll all be beta testing Deadfire for the next year or two.

Re: Resolve—I’ve changed my tune. I hope they do turn it into a luck analogue. I think this kind of randomness would liven things up, but I see why so many Infinity Engine lovers who want their parties to run like well oiled machines would hate the idea.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I don't know if you saw the catch, but the % bonus to empower would not apply until after a certain time in combat has expired, so for people that are pretty good at alpha striking style, it won't be as beneficial.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The fact that such a change can get added on a whim makes me only more skeptical.

Like when Sawyer basically just implemented some random guys mod over his own year long design?
A month before the game comes out?

Yea - Nothing to be concerned about. :lol:
Can you point me to the mod and what he implemented exactly?

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The fact that such a change can get added on a whim makes me only more skeptical.

Like when Sawyer basically just implemented some random guys mod over his own year long design?

Can you point me to the mod and what he implemented exactly?

Somewhere in this thread they mentioned a weapon speed overhaul that I guess Sawyer liked.
I've been skimming things at best - so this may be be another one of my hyperbolic jabs.

Infinitron / Sensuki ?

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's this thing:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/96158-beta-speed-mod/
MaxQuest said:
So, as Josh stimulated us to try different casting speeds ourselves, and since I've already been tinkering with those for awhile (props to Andrea for the idea) I think I would share these modifications for everyone willing to try it.

I've made 2 mods:
- BetaSpeedMod - it changes the values of casting and recovery categories, and also adjusts several selected spells
- BetaBalancingMod - it includes the above, and also has a few balancing changes. This is still a WIP and I am experimenting with these.

Here's the full changelog:
- BetaSpeedMod:
  • General
    • Changed cast and recovery time categories:

[img=[URL]https://i.imgur.com/Qn7fu9l.png[/URL]]
      [/*]
    • Decreased cast duration of summoned weapons from 5.0s/0 to 1.5s/0[/*]
    • Quickened a set of cc spells, cipher powers, and underpowered damaging spells[/*]
    [/*]
  • Cipher
    • Rank 1
      • Mind Wave (shred) (interrupts onHit): 3s/4s -> 1.5s/3.0s *[/*]
      • Whisper of Treason (deception): 5s/3s -> 3s/1.5s *[/*]
      • Valorous Echoes (echo): 3s/4s -> 1.5s -> 1.5s *[/*]
      • Antipathetic Field (shred): 3s/4s -> 3s/1.5s *[/*]
      • Soul Shock (echo): 3s/4s -> 3s/1.5s *[/*]
      • Tenuous Grasp (deception): 3s/4s -> 1.5s/1.5s *[/*]
      • Eyestrike (deception, gaze): 5s/2s -> 3s/1.5s *[/*]
      [/*]
    • Rank 2
      • Phantom Foes (deception): 3s/4s -> 3s/1.5s *[/*]
      • Mind Blades (shred): 3s/4s -> 3s/1.5s *[/*]
      • Recall Agony (shred): 5s/2s -> 1.5s/1.5s *[/*]
      • Psychovampiric Shield (echo): 3s/4s -> 1.5s/1.5s *[/*]
      • Amplified Thrust (echo): 3s/4s -> 1.5s/1.5s *[/*]
      • Mental Binding (deception): 5s/3s -> 3s/1.5s *[/*]
      [/*]
    • Rank 3
      • Secret Horrors (deception): 3s/4s -> 3s/1.5s *[/*]
      • Soul Ingition (shred): 5s/3s -> 3s/1.5s *[/*]
      • Pain Link (shred): 3s/4s -> 1.5s/1.5s *[/*]
      • Ectopsychic Echo (echo): 3s/4s -> 3s/1.5s *[/*]
      • Fractured Volition (deception): 3s/4s -> 1.5s/1.5s *[/*]
      • Puppet Master (deception): 5s/3s -> 4.5s/1.5s[/*]
      [/*]
    • Rank 4
      • Wild Leech (deception): 3s/4s -> 1.5s/1.5s *[/*]
      • Mind Lance (shred) (interrupts onHit): 3s/4s -> 1.5s/3.0s *[/*]
      • Silent Scream (shred) (interrupts onHit): 3s/4s -> 1.5s/3.0s *[/*]
      • Pain Block (echo): 0.5s/4s -> 1.5s/1.5s *[/*]
      • Echoing Shield (echo): 3s/4s -> 1.5s/1.5s *[/*]
      • Body Attunement (deception): 3s/4s -> 3s/1.5s *[/*]
      • Going Between: ? (this power is missing in beta3)[/*]
      [/*]
    • Rank 5
      • Detonate (shred): 5s/3s -> 4.5s/1.5s[/*]
      • Borrowed Instinct Lance (deception): 3s/4s -> 3s/1.5s *[/*]
      • Ring Leader (deception): 3s/4s -> 4.5s/1.5s *[/*]
      • Tactical Meld: ? (this power is missing in beta3)[/*]
      [/*]
    [/*]
  • Wizard
    • Rank 1
      • Arkemyr's Dazzling Lights (illusions): 3s/4s -> 3s/3s[/*]
      • Thrust of Tattered Veils (evocation) (interrupts onHit): 0.5s/4s -> 0.5/3s[/*]
      • Minoletta's Minor Missiles (evocation): 0.5s/4s -> 1.5/1.5s *[/*]
      • Wizard's Double (illusions): 0.4s/0s -> 0.5s/0s[/*]
      • Chill Fog (transmutation): 5s/3s -> 3s/3s *[/*]
      • Slicken (transmutation) (interrupts onHit): 5s/3s -> 3s/3s *[/*]
      • Jolting Touch (transmutation): 3s/4s -> 3s/3s[/*]
      • Kalakoth's Sunless Graps (conjuration): 3s/4s -> 1.5s/1.5s *[/*]
      • Concelhaut's Parasitic Staff (conjuration): 5s/0s -> 1.5s/0s *[/*]
      • Ghost Blades (conjuration): 3s/4s -> 1.5s/1.5s *[/*]
      • Fleet Feet (enchanting): 0.4s/0s -> 0.5s/0s[/*]
      • Fan of Flames (evocation): 3s/4s -> 3s/3s[/*]
      • Eldritch Aim (enchanting): 3s/0s ->0.5s/0 *[/*]
      • Spirit Shield (enchanting): 0.4s/0s -> 0.5s/0s[/*]
      [/*]
    • Rank 2
      • Curse of Blackened Sight (illusions): 5s/3s -> 3s/3s *[/*]
      • Miasma of Dull Mindness (illusions): 3s/4s -> 3s/3s[/*]
      • Mirrored Image (illusions): 0.4s/0s -> 0.5s/0s[/*]
      • Bewildering Spectacle (illusions): 3s/4s -> 3s/3.0s[/*]
      • Fetid Caress (transmutation): 5.0s/3.0s -> 3s/3.0s *[/*]
      • Grimoire Slam (transmutation) (interrupts onHit): 1.1s/4s -> 1.1s/3.0s[/*]
      • Combusting Wounds (transmutation): 3s/4s -> 3s/3s[/*]
      • Concelhaut's Corrosive Siphon (transmutation): 3s/4s -> 3s/3s[/*]
      • Necroctic Lance (conjuration)(interrupts onCrit): 5s/3s -> 4.5s/1.5s[/*]
      • Merciless Gaze (enchanting): 3s/0s -> 0.5s/0s[/*]
      • Arcane Veil (conjuration): 0.4s/0s -> 0.5s/0s[/*]
      • Binding Web (conjuration): 5s/3s -> 3s/3s[/*]
      • Ray of Fire (evocation): 5s/3s -> 3s/3s[/*]
      • Rolling Flame (evocation) (interrupts onHit): 5s/3s -> 4.5s/1.5s[/*]
      • Bulwark (enchanting): 0.4s/0s -> 0.5s/0s[/*]
      • Infuse with Vital Essense (enchanting): 0.4s/0s -> 0.5s/0s[/*]
      [/*]
    [/*]
  • Priest
    • Various
      • All spiritual weapons: 5.0s/0 -> 1.5s/0s *[/*]
      [/*]
    [/*]
  • Druid
    • Various
      • Firebrand: 5.0s/0 -> 1.5s/0s *[/*]
      [/*]
    [/*]
  • Chanter
    • Summons
      • Skeletons: 5s/3s -> 3s/3s *[/*]
      • Ogres: 8s/2s -> 3s/4.5s *[/*]
      • Phantoms: 8s/2s -> 6s/0s *[/*]
      • Drakes: 8s/2s -> 6s/0s *[/*]
      • Wisps: 8s/2s -> 6s/0s *[/*]
      • Reasoning:
        - having [quick cast, 3s+ recovery] and [slow cast, but no recovery] categories will allow chanters to specialize. A squshy chanter might prefer the former, due to faster summoning, and because they are melee. While heavy-armored chanters will likely prefer the later, as they won't have to suffer from recovery penalty.
        - Ogres have an extra 1.5s recovery because they have 25s duration compared to 12s of skeletons.[/*]
      [/*]
    [/*]
  • Notes:
    - Here are listed the spells I have iterated through so far.
    - With * are marked spells that required cast or recovery category change in my opinion.[/*]
- BetaBalanceMode:
  • General
    • Includes all the changes from BetaSpeedMod[/*]
    • And additionally includes the following changes:[/*]
    [/*]
  • Cipher
    • Whisper of Treason - duration reduced from 20s to 12s[/*]
    • Whisper of Treason - now has a +10 accuracy bonus[/*]
    • Puppet Master - duration reduced from 20s to 15s[/*]
    • Puppet Master - now has a +15 accuracy bonus[/*]
    • Ringleader - casting duration increased from 4.5s/1.5s -> 6s/1.5s[/*]
    • Ringleader - charm duration reduced from 20s to 15s[/*]
    • Ringleader - now has a +20 accuracy bonus[/*]
    • Detonate - damage increased from 32-51 to 40-52[/*]
    [/*]
  • Wizard
    • Kalakoth's Sunless Grasp - accuracy debuff increased from -10 to -20[/*]
    • Fan of Flames - damage increased from 24-33 to 30-36[/*]
    • Fireball - casting duration increased from 4.5s/1.5s -> 6.s/3.0s[/*]
    • Fireball - penetration increased from 7 to 9[/*]
    • Fireball - damage increased from 37-48 to 42-54[/*]
    • Fireball - cast distance decreased from 10m to 8m[/*]
    [/*]
  • Druid
    • Firebrand - increased base damage by ~25% (22-27 -> 27-34)[/*]
    [/*]
  • Ranger
    • Gunner - will now increase Reload Speed, instead of decreasing it[/*]
    [/*]
  • Misc
    • (Temporary) reduced Lagufaeth run speed from 6 to 4 (to match that of our characters)[/*]
    [/*]

Here are the download links:
- BetaSpeedMod: download v2
- BetaBalanceMod: download v2, download v3

How to install:
- go to <Pillars> folder (e.g: E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity II - Public Beta)
- create 'override' folder in <Pillars>/PillarsOfEternity2_Data/
- choose one mod (BetaSpeedMod OR BetaBalanceMod), and unzip it to /override folder
- you shall have the following path: <Pillars>/PillarsOfEternity2_Data/override/BetaXMod/gamedata/

What to do now:
- if you are interested: try it and share how it feels)

P.S: I am thinking now:
- of iterating through all weapon types, as their base values require a few adjustments
- re-testing few spells in combat (especially fireball)
- adding -20 respective defense malus to rank 3 afflictions (still gotta figure how to best do it)
- and perhaps later writing down the reasoning behind these changes.

But am also curious:
- Josh mentioned that they are going to increase the penetration of weapons by 2. Do you want this implemented in the mod?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Like when Sawyer basically just implemented some random guys mod over his own design?

MaxQuest isn't really a random guy, he has been doing the math for PoE for forever. What I'm more concerned about is how unstructured and chaotic the system is that it requires such extensive changes and differing values.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Like when Sawyer basically just implemented some random guys mod over his own design?

MaxQuest isn't really a random guy, he has been doing the math for PoE for forever. What I'm more concerned about is how unstructured and chaotic the system is that it requires such extensive changes and differing values.

Sensuki and Grotesque (and Bester, even though he is a vatnik) were not random guys either, and had backing by parts of the forum, I think, but then it was "The dogs bark, the caravan moves on". Please. If the man upstairs doesn't "feel this is what the masses want", your propositions will not be considered. He is the ultimate gaming public sociologist authority ;)

And in the end both sales figures/mainstream reviews/SA forums did reinforce his confidence that he is right.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The way I see it, Sawyer has decided to move from slower action/recovery times to faster action/recovery times because of player complaints. MaxQuest's mod just saves him time because it's already playtested that change. Even if it didn't exist, it's nothing he couldn't have done on his own. Maybe it would have been delayed until after the game's release.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I can't judge anything because I have never even fired up the beta, but I find it strange that recovery times are being reduced. Does combat really feel so much more readable this time around? :)

AwesomeButton

Patron
Didn't some of Sensuki's suggestions get implemented?
The revolt against engagement was stonewalled, and dismissed as a few grognards trying to put a spike in the wheels of progress...

...Then Josh first nerfed engagement post-release in PoE ( :( ), and is now all but removing it in Deadfire. ( :( :( :( ) But don't fret, children - The Party never errs!

One other thing, about the effects of Perception and Dextirity, I think, actually got implemented post-release, altering everyone's characters' derived stats under their noses. The funny thing - barely anyone noticed the difference.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom