Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sentinel

Arcane
I'm scared this game will be shit because they want to pander to the retards who thought DivOS2 was any good.

Fry

Arcane
The guidebook in question is not a guide book for the game but for the setting. I ran into the first one in my local comic book store and picked it up. It’s not bad.

Yeah, the Prima Guide was indeed useless and they're not doing another one of those.

I would suggest that reading the Guide Book Vol. 1 before playing PoE is actually the best way to play the game. Looking forward to Vol. 2.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i can't be the only one to find the Log Window (at least the one in the beta) somehow, somehow, is crammed full of more crap and i find it less legible than PoE 1's as well, tho i readily would admit the latter probably has more to do with familiarty.

also: is it me or is it absolutely worthless to pump INT for any build other than pure caster? (and even though i would not do it either).

so i've finally had spare time to really play thru the backer beta and:

- the primary attributes seem to have not changed much at all. Yes, some defenses/stuff was switched from one to another, and yes stuff changed like spell DMG now no longer modified by STR; overall though it is all extremely minor stuff and the "scheme" behind the design work of the primary attributes, the secondary attributes (skills, et al), and tertiary abilities (everything you activate in combat, which is modified first from the primary then the secondary systems)--

Ahem, so, to put it bluntly: it's the kind of easy-peasy tweaking a fan-modder would do editing/hacking an RPG's files. No meaningful change was done to the the primary attributes whatsoever, it is exactly the same system (i don't really mind, tho, could be much worse); in fact:

- the dump stats (at least the ones i find obviously to be worth dumping in POE 1) are still the same ! heh. But this isn't a pro or a con.

+ Secondary attributes (skills, et al) were extrapolated, and so far so good. Still, I believe 80 percent of those should dovetail into the numerical modifications that drive the first and 3rd system of stats; i mean... why would anyone use limited skill points to pump something that will only open up dialog trees when you can pump athletics and always have a great insta-heal.

OBviously this depends on the degree of involvement they will put into this: FNV did it almost perfectly, with every single thing, perk, etc, either doing something in combat, modifying bonuses, giving defenses/offenses, AND/OR serving as the gateway for full utilization of the game's optional systems like crafting shit, which is intrinsically tied with every single part of all of FNV's different game play elements and systems; obviously also in FNV almost every thing that opened dialog trees also usually either led to:

an item
a new area
a secret of some sort (easter eggs included here)
new companions
etc.

I honestly can't think of a single dialog check of some kind in FNV tha led only to more dialog and nothing more.

Yes, before the kids who will now cry: BUT GAMIFICATION LIKE THAT IS RUINING GAMES WHY CANT DIALOG LEAD TO MORE DIALOG!!!!1

UH, it most definitely can. If we were talking about FO1, FO2, FNV or the Shadowrun games? BY all means, inundate me with shit to pump points into that will only have marginal benefit in-game, most of it probably just what kids call "lore".

Why? Cos those games have great writing. Anyway this is all a longwinded way of saying:

- I hope they don't squander the new skills, like in POE 1.

- Also I hope this time there are NPCs in the game world with interesting lives and interesting dialog for ne to click on: the POE 1 plague of gold-plated backer NPCs completely killed any chance at having actual ambiance, actual viallgers, townspeople, guards, etc.

...Empty shells of areas shining pristinely with only quest-givers having a voice, all areas bereft of characterization (in the literal sense), and the only folks who you can talk to besides quest givers? ONly mr. SephirothXxxX and standing close by gooood ole MLGxCaptain, and their friends ofc.

Ok, as people may have noticed already yes my KB is flipping out because i spilled coffee on it.

Real quick last thoughts:

- I know everyone said it, and I didn't doubt it, but wow wtf is going on with casting times, recovery times? I'm picking spells now based off their recovery times (And casting times ofc), no lnger picking them based on what the spell actually does.

MAjor downgrade. they introduced too many modifiers to spell casting and it's saddening because NO ONE wanted that: what we wanted was more varied spells, a way to have direct-DMG spells be worth using late-game, more spells that weren't just about doing the same shit:

- inflicting afflictions / supressing them
- damaging enemies / healing allies

and since everything is an affliction, guess what? boooooooooom, that's the entirety of PoE's magic system. Heh.

We didn't want to make each spell casting to be a fucking final fantasy summon or whatever, we wanted a better, more varied more spread out spell system that actually could be used outside of combat scenarios. I mean, for a DND ripoff they sure forgot that DND spells actually have an plethora of non-traditional non-"combat" spells.

I Mean, fuck, that DND spell which conjures a banquet? POE has fucking food!!!!!!! UGH. Anywa.

BTW, my party is

2 fighters, both with the sub-class which grans extra ENGAGEMENT SLots.
2 priests, one using the subclass which is geared towards melee, the other priest with no subclass.
1 Paladin, no subclass, the order i forget the name but is very emo and is about death.

playing the beta on Veteran right now and the only difficulties so far are from processing new stuff.

OH, also, i get 35 FPS in beta village, but i get 100+ fps in POE 1 on this same machine (only defiance bay drops to 50-60 ish).

hope they optimize this turkey because frankly I find the game itself looks somehw smaller and way busier.

fights are more visually chaotic than ever, from what I"ve seen, and i think the char-models are smaller now? Don't like.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
PoE%202%20Item%20File.png

i think they changed all item codes to numerations. they also went and encrypted the save data found inside save games, for some reason.

I imagie this is because it's a beta.

btw, they did find time to include Sword_of_Awesome in the item listt. heh

edit: NEVER MIND, the normal item names work.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
already a mod to make spell casting imes and recovery in-line with POE 1 values:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/96158-beta-speed-mod/

ppl in thread obviously saying how much it betters the game, etc, balancing is supa easeh, etc. I'll give it a try later.

right now what I"d like to do is modify abilitis, specifically weapon ones.

EDIT:

also i think quarter staff shold ave REACH.

actually wat i really really wanna do is modify shields and the shield abilities and bash ability values.u

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
so i've finally had spare time to really play thru the backer beta and:

- the primary attributes seem to have not changed much at all. Yes, some defenses/stuff was switched from one to another, and yes stuff changed like spell DMG now no longer modified by STR; overall though it is all extremely minor stuff and the "scheme" behind the design work of the primary attributes, the secondary attributes (skills, et al), and tertiary abilities (everything you activate in combat, which is modified first from the primary then the secondary systems)--

Ahem, so, to put it bluntly: it's the kind of easy-peasy tweaking a fan-modder would do editing/hacking an RPG's files. No meaningful change was done to the the primary attributes whatsoever, it is exactly the same system (i don't really mind, tho, could be much worse);

My apologies aweigh, but I have to call bullshit.

Switching magic spell effect magnitude from Might to Resolve is a HUGE change.
One that badly nerfs all the various spellsword builds. Ciphers are struck particularly hard (even moreso by also loosing their main sustainability advantage).

But ALSO various self-heal sustainable damage dealers. All Moon Godlike damage dealers, Barbarians (who had the biggest health pool and Steadfast Defiance, could also pick Shod-In-Faith and perhaps be a Moon Godlike), damage oriented Paladins, probably also Monks (not sure what healing access they have right now).

Any why? Because people complained that in DnD its different? That it's not intuitive? Guess they didn't have the balls to stick with an original solution that works well.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i really fucking love tha hey finally made ranged weapons less viable when engaged in melee

perhaps by poe 5 the game system will be almost as good as ad & d 2nd edition!!!

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Haplo

i classified it as a very minor change because in POE 1 there is no reason to ever use direct-DMG SPells in Path of the damned, and although high Mightt does indeed make priest druid heals much betttter, unfortnately there are so many Might increasing items in poe 1 that unless yo intenionalllly dump MIGHT down to less than 10 you will always heal more than enough, even on POtD>.

tl;dr might change is minor cos in poe1 high might for spell dmg = 100% useless and, high might for healig = somewhat good but standard 10 might with +3 item = more than enoug

so it nds up being an extremely minor change

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Never had the impression that Priest healing spells were particularly potent - even less that they were healing "more then enough".

Spell damage maybe wasn't particularly impressive on PotD high level play (at low levels even a simple fan of flames can be pretty good vs weak crowds), but I also wouldn't entirely discard it. Particularly damage over time. These effects keep ticking and can add up to a lot.

But you kinda entirely missed the point, aweigh. I mentioned Obsidian nerf bat hitting particularly strong the various spellsword builds (with Cipher getting the shortest end of the stick), as well as various damage-oriented characters with self-heal capabilities (Barbarian was particularly well suited for this role due to strong self-heal ability and huge health pool).
At the same time they reinforce the "defensive tank-with-self healing capability" Paladin archetype.
Boooring.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Haplo

i agree with you there man. wholeheartedly.

hey, is a cipher-rogue who can use escape and smoke veil and sneak atk - backstab doable in the beta?

the cipher-rogue coud up focus via rogue shenanigans.

make the char a crit-race, crit-eapons, bunderbuss, etc

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
aweigh, try that faster cast mod on PotD and try to do damage with your casters, you'll see why the casting time is not the problem. I even urge you to make a truly optimized Evoker specialized in doing damage. After that, try a Cipher and a Fury Druid.

Bonerbill

Augur
I check the pirate sites occasionally to see if the beta has been uploaded, but I have not seen hide nor hair of it. One of the things that makes me less than confident about widespread audience interest in the game, since I was able to pirate the beta for the previous game pretty easily

I would upload beta (and only the beta, NOT the real game. I'm not that much of a douchebag, especially since I know Obsidian crew is monitoring this thread), but my ISP is watching me like a hawk.

The beta is interesting for testing builds, but I say it isn't worth getting when there isn't much content and the main game is coming out in a month and a half. You're better off watching beta videos

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yeah, the beta is ultimately not very interesting or comprehensive, even for testing combat, it's only a very narrow level range and I suspect it doesn't give a complete picture. Still, the issues raised don't seem to be isolated for this level range only.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
hey, could someone tell me what was that sawyer was on about about poe2 modding

he referenced two files in particular (in fact just downloading the SPEED MOD that's out is one of the files Sawyer mentioned, so u can just download the MOD then

- binary compare it (use hex editor) with the game default
- use your hex editor's functions to cycle quickly through only what is different in the modded file

that is the most common, low-level way of romhacking, simple trial and error.

doing thihs using magic, abiitis, racs, jobs, so on: that is ho you can begin to undrstand. what values jump to where and what kind of tabling is being used (common example being many games utilize $ for flags or prefixes, and stuff like that; yes i know that is from other very common programming schema but in the case of hex editing it is 100% seperate-- anyay)--

-- one easy ay i found poe1 eapon values was simply downloading already modded weapons from nexus and doing file comparisons.

anyay probm ith POe modding is:

- any chang, to ANYTHING, must be don to every singe thing. it is astronomica amount of ork.

SOOO i *think* Sawyer was saying they put most common game values this time in XML or CSV files for easy-peasy editing by consumers..\\\\

if so, that is AMAZING news.

also, i've made small value changes to item ability mods i get from nexus, i hex edit them to the values i want, and the game accepts them. JUST WANTED TO THROW THAT OUT THERE FOR THOSE WHO DON'T WANT TO DOWNLOAD UNITY SHIT.

like me. people will eventually mod in some dumb ways almost every single little object in poe2, ill just hex edit those for personal use. NORMALLY poe will reject any modified files if it isn't first exported out of unity shit then modified, cloned, then imported back into unity.

its a super tedious process. once you do it to an object once though, it sticks, cos after exporting what u do is you actually CLO?NE the object and import THAT, the clone.

gonna go for a BETA 100% RUN trial of iron:

PEOPLE!!!!

Rec me a Iron MAn party, abilities, classes! please :)

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Not really. My hands are tied until we do official announcements of everything.
Thanks! So, I have either misread or remember wrong that I read somewhere about expansions being post-game.

Sometimes, I think you and Lilura should get married, and have (or raise, depending on sexual preference) lots of arrogant, forum-posting children who are never wrong about anything. :D Codex generation v. 2.0!
I've found Lilura's blog very valuable, haven't seen her tenaciously defend questionable positions.

Lol, Lacrymas, you are Christliar?? :D I remember there was this divisive topic, the Injury system or "Removing non-class specific talents...", where I defended the changes, and Christliar was one of the few people on my side. Now it makes sense. I thought he/she was just a regular Obsidan forums guy :(

Looks pretty cool. What's up with those purple buttons, though, they clash so badly with the other, much better looking, icons. They look like taken straight from a mobile game. I know the passive talents also look like that and they are terrible as well.
I posted about this some pages back, the UI mixes at least two visual styles which are totally incompatible, and one of them is only remotely "skeuomorphic", a bunch of stupid things seem inherited from as far back as the IWDII UI... it's pretty bad overall.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Lacrymas

what changes to the beta spells, for now concentrating solely on wizard list, what changes would you make?

i really enjoy fast-casting spells that have the real purpose of interrupting, like thrust of tattered veils and the higher-tier Missile spells, oh, and also the necro-lance.

i wish there was an easier way to change game objects man, poe 1 and 2 are the type of game that receive an extra +10 years of replayability from mods.

one thing i would change is change almost all CC spells, make them more interesting instead of just being spells that stop enemies from recharging their cool-downs.

after playing poe1 3 times i think its indisputable that playing optimally i.e. casting the slickens, the confusion spells, the cipher stuff, my god it is the most fucking boring thing imaginable.

anyway seems to me one way to make direct-DMG spells good is make them all (or almost all, depending on which ones) just do RAW dmg.

dunno if that bypasses PEN? if it doesn't give them PEN bonuses too. do they still have built-in ACC bonuses? i would remove those. there are many ways to increase ACC, should have more incentive to use them for non-punching

edit: btw, currently got rogue char dual-wielding blunderbusses, and wizard is using pistol + hv. shield. the other ranged weapons REALLY need a little something exxxtrace cos blunder/pistol are the only ranged weaps without close range melee penalties.

yes, reload, i know, but crossbows and arbalests have reload too.

btw, best change yet? dex affectig GUN RELOADs. FINA-FUCKIG-FINALLY.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
ah! i get it now. Obsidian exported relevant branches of the unity Assembly C dll file.

that is AESOME. they're inside the poe2 install folder, inside poe2_data folder, then go to EXPORTED, and finally go to DESIGN folder.

no xporting - importing nonsns, and mor importanty:

- a diffrnt moddd Assmby Dll fil is not ncssary now. for editing those files (Which comprise the vast majorty, the bulk, of all PoE values, flags, properties, etc, hell the game speed is in there).

i THINK this means the poe2 IE Mod will no longer require their modified Assembly DLL file unless they decide to hack and code more low-level engine operations that were not exported by Sawyer into game install folder. can't imagine what thoug, almost every possible value one could wanna change is there.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
ah! i get it now. Obsidian exported relevant branches of the unity Assembly C dll file.

that is AESOME. they're inside the poe2 install folder, inside poe2_data folder, then go to EXPORTED, and finally go to DESIGN folder.

no xporting - importing nonsns, and mor importanty:

- a diffrnt moddd Assmby Dll fil is not ncssary now. for editing those files (Which comprise the vast majorty, the bulk, of all PoE values, flags, properties, etc, hell the game speed is in there).

i THINK this means the poe2 IE Mod will no longer require their modified Assembly DLL file unless they decide to hack and code more low-level engine operations that were not exported by Sawyer into game install folder. can't imagine what thoug, almost every possible value one could wanna change is there.

You assume anyone will even care about significantly modding the game. I doubt it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
aweigh, I'd increase the health of mobs, decrease their numbers, either remove Pen entirely and reinstate DR or remove Pen from spells and increase the damage of spells. This won't fix the sustainability problem of casters, though. I guess it will be balance on a knife's edge in terms of damage numbers. The limited spells have to count, kind of like a sniper with few bullets.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
My apologies aweigh, but I have to call bullshit.

Switching magic spell effect magnitude from Might to Resolve is a HUGE change.
One that badly nerfs all the various spellsword builds. Ciphers are struck particularly hard (even moreso by also loosing their main sustainability advantage).

But ALSO various self-heal sustainable damage dealers. All Moon Godlike damage dealers, Barbarians (who had the biggest health pool and Steadfast Defiance, could also pick Shod-In-Faith and perhaps be a Moon Godlike), damage oriented Paladins, probably also Monks (not sure what healing access they have right now).

Any why? Because people complained that in DnD its different? That it's not intuitive? Guess they didn't have the balls to stick with an original solution that works well.

Do shapeshifting druids get screwed by the switch to Resolve as well?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Not really, as Shifters don't rely on spells for damage at all. I guess it nerfs Avenging Storm for them, but that's about it.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i dunno, moon godlikes are op anyway, i would remove their silver tide ability if it were up to me. i don't like trivializing existing systems, i like finding ways of making everything feed into itself.

i think the fact 90% of POE 1 players finished it without crafting food (because, if not on PotD, it is beyond unnecessary) to be a huge glaring red flag in terms of design. also, some things that are innocuous but important: (if up to me) i would not allow non-caster types to be able to use scrolls.

i mean, sure, nobody ever uses scrolls anyway because theyre completely superfluos (Except for cheesing bosses with paralyze scrolls, which have a better chance of landing the affliction plus you can literally spam the boss with the things); but im referring to the heart of the matter: it's not like DND didn't do this first years ago by giving rogue-types access to Use Magic Device.

its not game breaking, far from it: it just annoys me because Sawyer supposedly knonws his stuff, yet how can one let such design choices ship with the final game i ask. anyway seems to me a quick way to remedy pure-casters woes in poe2 beta is to give a SECOND attribute that will ALSO modify casting times.

right now itt's DEX, right >>

make intellect affect casting time (amount of time for the spell to activate), and have DEX affect both cast time AND most types of recovery but to a lesser extent than the amount INT would affect casting times.

it seems to unbelievably obvious to me but hey.

EDIT: question! do shields affect casting times in POE 2 and if so...

HERES ONE WAY TO INCENTIVIZE GRIMOIRES:

MAKE GRIMOIRES COME WITH MODIFIERS FOR ALL SORTS OF CASTER RELATED SHIT; A GRIMOIRE FOR FASTER CASTING A GRIMOIRE FOR A BETTER GRIM-SLAM; A GRIMOIRE THAT ALLOWS...

...USING LOWER-LEVEL SPELLS AS HIGHER-LEVEL ONES WITH BOOSTED VARIABLES!

ETC.

THAT WAY PLAYERS WILL FINALLY HAVE A REASON TO LUG AROND GRIMOIRES. AS THINGS STAND, IT IS LITERAL FACT NOT ONE SIGLE PLAYER EVER, EVER EVER HAS BOTHERED USING MORE THAN 1X GRIMOIRE IN POE1.

EXCUSE BOLDED UNDERLINED ITALICIZED TEXT.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Not really, as Shifters don't rely on spells for damage at all. I guess it nerfs Avenging Storm for them, but that's about it.

Did they change the duration of shapeshifting? Cat form lasts only 15 seconds in the first game. The damage output is hilarious though. After that it's back to casting spells.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom