Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Quillon

Arcane
What type of RPG guy is Adam? Does he like class-based systems, dare I say it, does he even like D&D, at least?

He seems to like or love D&D & Pillars and he always plays a fighter do-gooder but what's Adam got to do with this? :D
Isn't he the new director?

Nope, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsX3RLUAU6Y <the one next to Sawyer is Badler, GD for the DLCs apparently. Adam's the one between Tim and MCA, he's the lead programmer.
Yeah I get them confused. I know the beannie guy is Brennecke, the other one is Badler. For some reason I always think they're both Adam though. Sorry for the confusion.
Wasn't badler on Tim Cain's project though? I swear I read something like that here.

I guess their names are somehow mutually confusing, I also had them confused during PoE1 development.

I remember...Badler was either on Pathfinder or on game pitches :/

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
You still have to board the other ship to win eventually, so I propose being able to skip the text-based thing and go entirely toe to toe with the enemy ship's crew and captain. They can be like bounties - unique and challenging fights. If you do well on the text-based thing you can get cosmetics and more powerful stuff for the ship. This present a new question, though, why have the text-based thing in the first place? Why couldn't it have been scripted and unique encounters with other captains? You still have your ship boarding and captain duels, but without the unnecessary baggage that comes before that. That's a much smarter decision that also ties in with the usual gameplay, as opposed to a tertiary at best system that is divorced from everything else.

I don't think anything is wrong by itself with scripted interaction for ship-combat as a basis, it's just as matter of execution. I mean what would be point of trying to re-invent sid meier's pirates? Plus I find real time ship combat to be boring personally. A diversified text based combat is the best option for a mini-game.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Who the fuck is Zotbot. Is he going to show us his titties on stream?

I don't think anything is wrong by itself with scripted interaction for ship-combat as a basis, it's just as matter of execution. I mean what would be point of trying to re-invent sid meier's pirates? Plus I find real time ship combat to be boring personally. A diversified text based combat is the best option for a mini-game.

I think it's unnecessary in the context of the other gameplay systems. Regardless of whether it's real-time or text-based. It's worse if it's bad, obviously, which it probably will be. I just don't see how it's relevant to the rest of the game in a mechanics sense, especially if they tie equipment that you can use for the game proper. Otherwise, it's just a pointless mini-game thrown into the mix for no mechanics-based reason.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Haha:

sntFysB.jpeg
9sYPVsg.png

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/95782-worldofeternity-funny-business-speculation/?p=1978368

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
I think a lot of people know when they don't like something, but they do not know they don't like it. There was a lot of issues in PoE1 that could be made better but the feedback people have given seemed to me inconsistent in solving those issues or just exacerbating them if anything. Sawyer really should have listened to feedback in what are some problems people notice but depend more on his own intuition to solve them instead.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I hope they make the range of the ship play a major role in player's ability to access certain parts of the map.

Sailing range would depend:

- on it's capacity to hold more food and water;

- crew discipline and morale;

- ship keel type to withstand larger waves and storms;

- main character skill in navigation?

Exploration should be no trivial task but an adventure well thought in advance, expensive (a welcomed game money sink) and risky as hell.

The reward would be interesting events where characters gain traits (positive or negative) and beefy items only found on distant islands or battle sea monsters in distant parts of the ocean for reputation and trophies.

And of course all that should be optional for those who don't want to venture in search for treasure and powerful artifacts and want to stick to the main plot.

A ship range UI representation would be welcomed so the player would know if the ship would make it to a certain port and restock or to know where the point of no return comes.

EDIT: I hoped Wasteland 2 would have something like that with it's water mechanics and its dangerous wasteland but it all proved to be cheap and unimportant fluff in the end.

Last edited:
At least six people on my steam friends list(normies) actually purchased PoE just because there's a sequel coming out. I'm really..like...I dunno, careful to tell them "holy shit, research it" because most of them are Bioware fans and think its like, a Bioware game, but I keep saying, "there's no romances, combat is hard(compared to a bioware game)" and they're like "Haha silly TGA, I'm a hardcore gamer I beat Inquisition on easy once!"

Kudos to them for finishing it, I couldn't even play 1 hour of that shit.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Sooo casters are even worst than in PoE? I am replaying PoE now and feel like my casters are pretty useless and i use only spells that stun enemy in any way possible. Damage spells are garbage and buffs are useless outside of boss battles. The most useful thing for my wizard was the splash damage when using sceptres and wands with some elemental damage.
All my prayers are about the story,as a storyfag i don't care much if the combat is total garbage.But i do like it when the combat is good too.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Most of the complaints about moment-to-moment combat of these people stem from the fact that they don't seem to get both PoE1 AND 2's system. They are right about a lot of things, like character advancement, casters feeling limited, concentration being somewhat clunky, the general imbalance of the classes, the best parties being auto-attacking fests because choosing between passive and active abilities is a no-brainer skew toward passives, heavy micromanagement that is repetitive and doesn't feel rewarding etc. They think the issue is missing and character actions not feeling decisive, but that's not true, they just don't know what to do with them and use them properly. I went through PotD with the shittiest party imaginable (without resting once) and I can say that success very much depended on what I did. I've talked extensively about this and I don't want to repeat myself, but the combat does indeed need HUGE changes if it's ever going to make sense.

Sawyer's post rubs me the wrong way. "But this is what you wanted! We are a democracy around here!", too bad democracy is the tyranny of the lowest common denominator.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

and another code :M
How they become old if they blow up?

They don't blow up until they are old.

What is the point of them blowing up?
Presumably, to maximize the spread of the parasites in the hope of infecting new hosts.

I agree that suicide enemies are annoying in games, but the rest of this is not rocket science. Most of it is literally explained in the text you quoted. :)

Mate,we all know that the parasites will have no real effect on the game,will do some damage,maybe short term poison and that will be all. I do get the real life logic behind it,kind of because you can blow it up with fire arrows and rifles. But in the game will be pointless.

Most of the complaints about moment-to-moment combat of these people stem from the fact that they don't seem to get both PoE1 AND 2's system. They are right about a lot of things, like character advancement, casters feeling limited, concentration being somewhat clunky, the general imbalance of the classes, the best parties being auto-attacking fests because choosing between passive and active abilities is a no-brained skew toward passives, heavy micromanagement that is repetitive and doesn't feel rewarding etc. They think the issue is missing and character actions not feeling decisive, but that's not true, they just don't know what to do with them and use them properly. I went through PotD with the shittiest party imaginable (without resting once) and I can say that success very much depended on what I did. I've talked extensively about this and I don't want to repeat myself, but the combat does indeed need HUGE changes if it's ever going to make sense.

Sawyer's post rubs me the wrong way. "But this is what you wanted! We are a democracy around here!", too bad democracy is the tyranny of the lowest common denominator.
Do you feel that magic is worst than in PoE?

Sannom

Augur
So they changed game director while they're in development?

Aside from the per-rest resources, I think that most of those problems and the proposed solutions are rather good.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Aside from the per-rest resources, I think that most of those problems and the proposed solutions are rather good.

They are! If they are implemented properly, though. But they aren't. It rubs me the wrong way for a variety of reasons, not entirely related to the specific design decisions.

Do you feel that magic is worst than in PoE?

It's almost useless.

The stream is fucking stupid, they are talking about the drab ship combat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom