Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Athelas

Arcane
Damage modifiers might be only for traps, true, my bad. That said, will have to wait for release to see how all this plays out really.
:hmmm: You don't have the slightest idea on how the game's mechanics work, do you?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I was not aware normal gives enemies x0.75 damage baby gloves. This means hard is the only difficulty worth considering, because I also hate stat boosts for enemies on Path of the Damned. Good to know.
Same here. I planned to play it on normal, that being the NORMAL unaltered difficulty. At least I thought so. But if hard is the actual normal, then I will play it on hard too.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Sensuki, now that it's 23rd and streamers are allowed to stream partially the first Act, can you share with us your thoughts (vague enough to fit with NDA) regarding the game? What do you like? What don't you like (except for engagement, lol).
The anticipations is killing me D:

I'm not allowed to talk about the game until the 26th, sorry. I am not sure when the embargo ends, my understanding was that it was in like 2.5 hours time or something. I don't really want to jump the gun and get in trouble.

I'm currently writing the script for my Guide, Part 1 should be uploaded sometime within the next 6 hours or so I suppose.

Wait, why are you under an NDA? Did they hire you to do some work for them?
He got a press release version for his hard work at QA, I think he is under NDA for that, even if he is not working for the press.

Diablo169

Arcane
But people are posting videos and are streaming the press release. Why would an NDA affect that? Or is the amount they can show pre release limited?

Tjaron

Educated
Watching some streamer build a "battle mage", not understanding game mechanics, immediately getting doubts about the viability of his build after running out of spells "given how the game is balanced" is painful and hilarious at the same time. Good thing the game seems to be super easy and forgiving on normal.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Nope, really don't and haven't tried easy/normal much if at all.

but...
if ((UnityEngine.Object) damage.Ability != (UnityEngine.Object) null && damage.Ability.EffectType == GenericAbility.AbilityType.Trap){
if (flag1){
if ((UnityEngine.Object) GameState.Instance != (UnityEngine.Object) null){
switch (GameState.Instance.Difficulty){
case GameDifficulty.Easy:
num2 *= 0.5f;
break;​
case GameDifficulty.Normal:
num2 *= 0.75f;
break;​
}​
}​
}​

As said, could be wrong and don't have retail version yet.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Easy: small easy encounters and you take 50% damage from enemies. Max supplies is 6.
Normal: normal encounters and you take 75% damage from enemies. Max supplies is 4.
Hard: harder encounters and you take full damage from enemies. Max supplies is 2.
Path of the Damned: complete encounters (max possible from all difficulty settings), you take 100% damage and enemies have +15ACC/DEF as well as slightly boosted Endurance. Max supplies is 2.
Unless this was changed for release, this is bogus. Only Path of the Damned changes enemy stats, the other difficulties change what kind of enemies you face and how many of them.

How he described it - this is how it is in the code as of v480.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron

I haven't checked further but I do think I was wrong about reduced damage for all things on easy/normal and that it only applies to traps. Can't be bothered to check just now but rest should indeed be somewhat correct, as of v480 that is.

Athelas

Arcane
Easy: small easy encounters and you take 50% damage from enemies. Max supplies is 6.
Normal: normal encounters and you take 75% damage from enemies. Max supplies is 4.
Hard: harder encounters and you take full damage from enemies. Max supplies is 2.
Path of the Damned: complete encounters (max possible from all difficulty settings), you take 100% damage and enemies have +15ACC/DEF as well as slightly boosted Endurance. Max supplies is 2.
Unless this was changed for release, this is bogus. Only Path of the Damned changes enemy stats, the other difficulties change what kind of enemies you face and how many of them.

That's interesting... So you take half damage from everything (monsters, traps) on easy difficulty compared to hard?

It must be something they added in after that mock review they got.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Normal in BG was 75% dmg iirc. Would make sense to have it like that in POE considering they would get docked score if the game was too hard :M

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Normal in BG was 75% dmg iirc. Would make sense to have it like that in POE considering they would get docked score if the game was too hard :M

I would imagine a lot of people really want to enjoy games like these for the story, not ultra punishing combat with each taking 10 minutes of brainstorming to avoid a party wipe, especially with potential perma-death and no resurrection spells/abilities anywhere.
Wonder what the reaction will be to no xp from combat though, that's one major difference. Personally it took me playing on PotD and actually fearing for wipes to really grasp what it meant and be very careful about how and when I got into battles, on other difficulties, I just cleaned up everything, out of habit really.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Normal in BG was 75% dmg iirc.

Nah. The Infinity Engine games after BG1 (well, and PS:T) had "Normal" and "Core" difficulty settings, though. I remember it being annoying because only Normal had Max HP on Levelup, but it also reduced monster damage.

And I think only some of them may have had reduced monster damage on Normal - possibly just BG2, not the Icewind Dales. Not sure about that though.

BGT and the Enhanced Editions have probably spread the misconception that all the IE games worked in certain ways that only BG2 originally did.

Last edited:

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Very nice effort. I find it very useful how you describe the classes in MOBA and MMO terms, makes it easier to understand for people who don't have a lot of RPG experience.
It certainly takes much more effort than posting backhanded compliments.

hiver

Very nice effort. I find it very useful how you describe the classes in MOBA and MMO terms, makes it easier to understand for people who don't have a lot of RPG experience.

If there wasnt me around... there would be no one to hear that sarcastic quip drop. And would it be real then, who could say did it ever happen?

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Ehy guys, i'm not looking Anthony stream (i saw some areas for just 3\4 seconds) to avoid spoilers, can you tell me which difficulty is playing and how challenging it is? Because i don't know if play normal or hard on first playthrough

Most videos/streams available at on Normal I think. In none so far (either Anthony's or the "sweeftFX" guy) do they need to use anything but clicking on enemies blindly and go full speed mode.

All in all, it depends on what you want in a game like this.

I don't know about that, you may be right, but there is more. On harder difficulties, the NUMBER of enemies you encounter and the TYPE of enemies you encounter, are also different.

For example, on normal there may be two champions supporting a boss, on hard there may be two young drakes and an adult drake supporting the boss. Maybe I'll stream on hard tonight and point out at least the encounters that I am familiar with and how they are different.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
I don't know about that, you may be right, but there is more. On harder difficulties, the NUMBER of enemies you encounter and the TYPE of enemies you encounter, are also different.
For example, on normal there may be two champions supporting a boss, on hard there may be two young drakes and an adult drake supporting the boss. Maybe I'll stream on hard tonight and point out at least the encounters that I am familiar with and how they are different.

Yea didn't go into details encounters but you're totally correct. It's like easy you get 1 normal difficulty type dude, normal you get 2 easy and one normal, hard you get 1 hard and 2 normal, and Path of the Damned you get the max for all so 2 easy, 2 normal and 1 hard (with added ACC/DEF/HP of course).
Or something like that, but that's the idea.

Really cool kind of difficult setting system though as it allows careful tailoring of encounters for each difficulty and not just stat/math changes.

hiver

Is there any way to disable sleeping everywhere feature?

is it a part of any difficulty and if no, why not?

/
just speaking generally, the overflow of hype is making me sick already.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom