Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The whole argument for "banalce" previously was ... Well, I never really understood it, but it had something to do with warriors shouldn't need to be strong, dextrous and tough and mages shouldn't need to be intelligent, etc.

But a non-strong warrior still needs to be played to his strengths (heh). Same for a non-intelligent mage.

All of the whining against D&D could have been brushed aside with "Game balance has nothing to do with playing the game poorly.".

Only if you count character creation as gameplay. Pillars of Eternity doesn't.

Last edited:

Shannow

Waster of Time
A signed by Sawyer boxed copy of He-Man RPG for every grognard that actually understands the "dialed to 11" reference.

Shannow

Waster of Time
The whole argument for "banalce" previously was ... Well, I never really understood it, but it had something to do with warriors shouldn't need to be strong, dextrous and tough and mages shouldn't need to be intelligent, etc.

But a non-strong warrior still needs to be played to his strengths (heh). Same for a non-intelligent mage.

All of the whining against D&D could have been brushed aside with "Game balance has nothing to do with playing the game poorly.".

So the same as in D&D? (Unintelligent mage obviously being a sorceror.)

If you don't play to your character's strength then of course you'll fail. Balance just means that he HAS a a strength.
Decide. Either character creation/development is not a gameplay feature and I can't gimp my character or I need to play to my character's/class's strengths. You can't have it both ways.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

So the same as in D&D? (Unintelligent mage obviously being a sorceror.)

If you don't play to your character's strength then of course you'll fail. Balance just means that he HAS a a strength.
Decide. Either character creation/development is not a gameplay feature and I can't gimp my character or I need to play to my character's/class's strengths. You can't have it both ways.

Are you still trolling? Character creation isn't gameplay. Tactical combat is gameplay. If you play tactical combat incorrectly, you will fail. But you can't fail at character creation - your character will always be good at something. Well, unless you refuse to use your attribute points.

roshan

Arcane

Can someone explain to me when character creation stopped being a part of RPGs? Next thing we hear is that role playing isn't playing either.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Now that's an actual argument. One that I don't support, but finally can understand. PoE wants to provide a system where - no matter what stats you choose - your character will always be good at something (if played correctly).
(I still prefer stats making sense to the role you're playing (eg. Mike Tyson, Obama, Shakira, Hawkings, etc.), but I finally understand the thought process behind banacle.) Thanks, Infi.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
No problem.

Now, the beta's current problem is that it feels like your character is always good at everything. That's what people mean when they say that the attributes don't have an impact. I wonder if the next version of the beta will already address this.

Osvir

Learned
he provides very informed and objective content. Mostly.
lol no u

I think we need a TB fanboy tag

I'm a fan of his content. yes, but not the dude himself John Bain the dude is just a dude that says stupid shit on twitter from time to time, and some times cool shit. His content is very informed, well researched. Sometimes I disagree. One of TB's favorite games are Giants: Citizen Kabuto btw. Not to forget to mention his GoG Top Rated Strategy games that got many of the classics in it. Mostly Strategy though... hm.. and this is.. RPG Codex... kk.

Just like Pillars of Eternity, "Sawyerism" wtf? The dude is a regular dude, Sensuki is a regular dude, I'm a regular dude. You're probably a regular dude too Harold. Volo is a pretty princess. I'm a fan of the community and the entire project :)

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I've been thinking about the skills... there are 5 skills, and 6 party members... what's stopping you from specialize each character in one, and still have a all-arounder? You definitely don't need two characters with Lore or Mechanics skills.

What's the use of locked doors in this context? Won't they simply become level-gates?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've been thinking about the skills... there are 5 skills, and 6 party members... what's stopping you from specialize each character in one, and still have a all-arounder? You definitely don't need two characters with Lore or Mechanics skills.

What's the use of locked doors in this context? Won't they simply become level-gates?
Each skill is supposed to provide a systemic benefit, but I'm not seeing it either.

Remember lock picking in PoE means using more or fewer lock picks, Dues Ex style. So there is a resource drain for going through them. I'm pretty sure it's bugged right now though, so it doesn't make sense what's happening.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
It's not like there was ever any real question about lugging around a Thief with you in BG, so it was pretty much a "level gate" there too.

Things would have been more interesting if there were more skills, but eh, not a high priority.

Rake

Arcane

In many scripted interactions,and in most dialogue, only your PC skills will count, so there is that.

Athelas

Arcane
IIRC you can only have one trap active at a time per character, so more mechanic-skilled chars means more trapping potential.

More lore-skilled chars makes the bestiary fill up faster, I guess? (Which likely appeals to everyone's inner OCD freak.)

~BALANCE~

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
It's not like there was ever any real question about lugging around a Thief with you in BG, so it was pretty much a "level gate" there too.
Yeah, except that Thieves had seven skills:

Find/Disarm traps
Hide in Shadow/Move Silently
Pick Locks
Pick Pockets
Set Traps
Detect Illusion
Backstabbing

Not all of them had the same relevance, but at the very least you would split your points between Pick Lock and Find/Disarm Trap, so your Thief build did matter a lot.

In many scripted interactions,and in most dialogue, only your PC skills will count, so there is that.
Now that's a shitty workaround, eh?

Athelas

Arcane
Every scripted interaction I've come across so far allows using the skills of all party members.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
(I should have said "it's not like there was ever any real question about lugging around a Thief trained in Pick Locks with you in BG". :smug:)

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Most of the skills are useful to all characters so I don't really understand the bitching.

Mystary!

Arcane
Sensuki, You mention in your video, and earlier in this thread, that the adventuring days are limited by the health of the main tank.
But in IE, when you ran out of health and healing recources, you could just switch some gear around and make another character the "main tank" for a while, effectively prolonging the day. Wouldn't that work here aswell?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
(I should have said "it's not like there was ever any real question about lugging around a Thief trained in Pick Locks with you in BG". :smug:)
You shouldn't be smug about saying dumb things. In BG you get around 25 points per level up to split between each skill. Invest all in Pick Lock, and you won't be able to Steal or Detect/Disarm Traps, but you'll be able to open harder doors.

PoE's skill choice is between opening doors to reaching more content/loot or some minor passive bonus. That's a fucking no-brainer.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
You shouldn't be smug about saying dumb things. You get around 25 points per level up to split between each skill. Invest all in Pick Lock, and you won't be able to Steal or Detect/Disarm Traps, but you'll be able to open harder doors.

I didn't say JUST Pick Locks.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Sensuki, You mention in your video, and earlier in this thread, that the adventuring days are limited by the health of the main tank.
But in IE, when you ran out of health and healing recources, you could just switch some gear around and make another character the "main tank" for a while, effectively prolonging the day. Wouldn't that work here aswell?

If you have a paladin or monk (or maybe a barbarian) in the party as well then, theoretically, yes. However, I do agree with Sensuki that the adventuring day should be lengthened.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom