Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

aeonsim

Augur
Hey, there's a general talent called 'Superior deflection' that adds another +5 deflection.

Acting in accordance with your paladin's tenets should also increase the deflection bonus from Faith & Conviction.

Yeap :)
Though with regards to the Faith and conviction I wonder how that interacts with the paladins untroubled faith talent where they no longer have to worry about the tenets.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
G6gFefH.jpg

Stunned gives -30 Deflection. That's why Medreth's group appears to beat me.

Athelas

Arcane
Sure, like I said, pump that deflection to prevent those secondary status effects.

You could try a high-deflection rogue with the riposte ability.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Stunning Blow IS a Fortitude attack, there is no Deflection element.

That character is a Paladin exactly like aeonsim described before. 115 Deflection.

Athelas

Arcane
You're a bit behind the curve. I'm at 134 at the moment, 138 when I get some spirit residue to enchant some armor.:M

Sensuki

Arcane
That is a new character right at the start of the game though. What I am saying is, is that with the starting items you probably can't solo Medreth's group unless you're super lucky.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Sensuki (and whoever else mods the game), how easy is it to mod PoE currently? I have seen the changes to engagement and stats, but could someone make changes to the class and progression system, etc?

Sensuki

Arcane
It would be very difficult, but not impossible I suppose.

Code changes are easy enough. Changing assets is harder. Currently we don't have a working Unity Extension for the new version either, as they updated to Unity 4.6

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
At SA, Josh confirmed that IWD2 had a much lower budget than PoE, though it was obvious considering IWD2 already had so many things to reuse and a much shorter development schedule.

IWD2 almost certainly had a much lower budget, but building on top of IWD:HoW/TotLM was way, way, way easier than building everything from scratch.

A lot of people believe that if you can think of something, it will suddenly come into existence and work immediately in the game without anything beyond trivial effort.

That thread also went Full Goon. Turns out some people look forward to PoE because it's another Obsidian story, and they have no particular fondness for PC exclusive late 90s/early 00s-style role playing games.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
though it was obvious considering IWD2 already had so many things to reuse and a much shorter development schedule.

I am really glad that it seems PoE2 will be a BG2 in the sense that it will re-use engine, assets, the works and just focus on new content.

Athelas

Arcane
In hindsight it was probably somewhat ridiculous for me to expect a high-Deflection character to be completely invulnerable against most enemies. While certainly doable, the min-maxing involved sacrifices too much in the way of fun and versatility.

In the meantime, I might have come up with an even better build. A high-Deflection character that enemies miss against most of the time, while still having excellent offense. Key to this build are abilities like Confident Aim and Minor Threat, that transform a % of my grazes into hits and hits into crits, respectively, and using a small shield that doesn't have an accuracy penalty. Since it appears the Fighter talent Wary Defender is bugged (it says it raises all defenses by 10, but it doesn't raise deflection), I'm still using the Cautious Attack modal.

Early results look promising already. :M

Sensuki

Arcane
Unfortunately for you, Minor Threat is currently super bugged ;)

Hopefully they don't fix it though because it's a pretty awesome bug.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
though it was obvious considering IWD2 already had so many things to reuse and a much shorter development schedule.

I am really glad that it seems PoE2 will be a BG2 in the sense that it will re-use engine, assets, the works and just focus on new content.
Why? Do you think the content of PoE will be lacking?
PoE's shortcomings seem to be A) intern-level UX design, B) combat (for many, at least), and C) Unity limitations like memory issues causing desolate cities (can't have too many NPCs) and a massive amount of loading screens.
I don't see how new content will be better if the framework remains shitty.
Also a lot of the assets are laughable. Character models, armors, interface icons, etc. This is probably what will be re-used if anything. "Hooray."

Athelas

Arcane
:hmmm:

You spend most of the post complaining about completely subjective aesthetics and then concluding the sequel will be shit.

The combat is a legitimate concern though.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Why? Do you think the content of PoE will be lacking?

Eh... no. Not at all, in fact. But I love how that's the default assumption :lol:

You guys need to tone down the default negativity. I am really glad because I think a great deal of BG2's success and wealth of content and improvement is that rather than develop everything from scratch they mostly used old assets. That meant that a huge part of development resources were focused solely on content and system improvement, which made for a really good game.

I don't see how new content will be better if the framework remains shitty.

Ask SCO for a rundown about how shitty the IE actually was. As the 'tron says, content is often king.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
:hmmm:

You spend most of the post complaining about completely subjective aesthetics and then concluding the sequel will be shit.

The combat is a legitimate concern though.
"A) intern-level UX design" = most of the post, OKAY.

Also I don't conclude anything.

Athelas

Arcane
Also a lot of the assets are laughable. Character models, armors, interface icons, etc. This is probably what will be re-used if anything. "Hooray."
Such decline:

Picenonearlyequipmentconfiguration.png
Autumn-fire.jpg

Also, how is the interface design 'intern-level'?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The PoE dolls got a big upgrade with one of the patches I think.

Last time I played, various equipment lacked distinctiveness compared to IE paper dolls.

However, this was an area Josh said they specifically skimped on, re-using 3d assets instead of doing paper doll so they didn't need to recreate stuff. It is exactly the kind of thing you might see updated in a sequel. Especially as they'll have a lot of other 2d work done and need something for 2d artists to do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom