Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
According to his profile, his favourite game is Dragon Age 2.

bonescraper

Great chacacter creation, decent music, shit combat and interface. And who the fuck thought tall grass would look good in a 2d game? Would not beta again.

Jezal_k23

There sure is a lot of uninteresting dialogue in the beta. It's like a version of PS:T set in Beregost.

And there you go, the first streamer got wiped by the road beetles and rage quit.

What difficulty was he playing it in btw? Did you see?

Malaphusis

Literate
Why does this streamer feel the need to type back to chatter questions? We can HEAR HIM.

Makagulfazel

Educated
The dude with the fez is a waste of bandwidth. 2.9GBs of things I actually want coming my way.

Malaphusis

Literate
The Fez Streamer is rolling a Godlike Paladin...cause we haven't watched that combo in action a thousand times over the weekend.

Hegel

Arcane
12 constitution on his main tank, it's a disaster waiting to happen

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The Fez Streamer is rolling a Godlike Paladin...cause we haven't watched that combo in action a thousand times over the weekend.

That's why he's rolling it, because he already knows how to build it properly. Aspie Lad.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Where the FUCK is that awesome cranking and bolt reloading animation of the arbalest from the beta movies on the internet? That was the highlight

poetic codex

Augur
First impression=not good because it's the kind of system I just can't seem to like. PoE has a very passive, percentage based stat and skill system. At least Larian did something different with the cool environment/spell interactions. In this game,however, the majority of skills are passive, and stats just grant a percentage boost. Mechanics-wise, you'll be doing the same thing at level 20, that you were doing at level 5, just with a higher probability of succeeding. I need more active feats. I need more to do in combat than just watch numbers and probabilities interact.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I've already scribbled down a lot of notes, but I can't play any more now, too damn tired. I'll play a lot more tomorrow. Top of the list from just an hour of playing are these three points:

I accidentally hit some hotkey to halve the speed of the game, and the 'default speed key' doesn't work (you'll have to bind it first, too - still doesn't work). So game over if you hit that.

The state of AI and pathing makes the gameplay flow very badly. Hopefully they fix this soon so people can play it properly.

As with most game nowadays, one of my major gripes from the get-go is the camera. In this case, the zoom is useless. Have it zoomed in, and the game looks nice but feels cramped. Zoom out, and the game looks a lot worse and the characters become tiny, but you can see a much better distance in relation to the FoW.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
First impression=not good because it's the kind of system I just can't seem to like. PoE has a very passive, percentage based stat and skill system. At least Larian did something different with the cool environment/spell interactions. In this game,however, the majority of skills are passive, and stats just grant a percentage boost. Mechanics-wise, you'll be doing the same thing at level 20, that you were doing at level 5, just with a higher probability of succeeding. I need more active feats. I need more to do in combat than just watch numbers and probabilities interact.

Funny that you say that, considering there's a large number of people on this forum who worry that PoE is TOO active.

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
I crash a lot. During char generation when selection certain options, when loading new areas, when talking to people etc. It happens in specific places. I think it has something to do with my harddisk which has been malfunctioning for a while.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am pleased.
CFD986303F5EB47F84BEC717E0AE2395C3525ABE

Duraframe300

Arcane
As with most game nowadays, one of my major gripes from the get-go is the camera. In this case, the zoom is useless. Have it zoomed in, and the game looks nice but feels cramped. Zoom out, and the game looks a lot worse and the characters become tiny, but you can see a much better distance in relation to the FoW.

I actually thought zoomed out looked better as zoomed in.

IMO, of course.

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
I've already scribbled down a lot of notes, but I can't play any more now, too damn tired. I'll play a lot more tomorrow. Top of the list from just an hour of playing are these three points:

I accidentally hit some hotkey to halve the speed of the game, and the 'default speed key' doesn't work (you'll have to bind it first, too - still doesn't work). So game over if you hit that.

The state of AI and pathing makes the gameplay flow very badly. Hopefully they fix this soon so people can play it properly.

S is the hotkey for slow and speed up is something like D or A

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
One hotkey is for 50% speed, the other is for 200% speed. The hotkey for normal speed does not work.

poetic codex

Augur
Funny that you say that, considering there's a large number of people on this forum who worry that PoE is TOO active.

^Maybe they're talking about micromanagement? Yes, things can feel hectic because you have to control the party members individually and make copious use of the pause button especially against tough opponents like those beetles. But that still doesn't take away from the fact that you're interacting with just passive skills, and passive feats. How about a feat that blows enemies back? A spell that causes the ground to turn into quicksand, and then leave enemies stuck so they can become pincushions for your archers? Shapeshifting that grants entirely new abilities to your character, which disappear when he returns to his original form? Granted, I've only played for about 40 minutes, but the first impression is what counts no matter how brief.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom