Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If you place your Fighter somewhere with Defender mode on, he will 'snag' up to three enemies and force them to attack him. Unfortunately the reverse is true for party members. When party members are engaged, they will begin auto attacking enemies and cancel their current attack and move commands

I think you mean "the same is true". And why does that surprise you? That's precisely what engagement is. The engaged character is locked in place - that obviously means whatever he was planning to do before that is cancelled. What would you want him to do, not auto-attack but just stand there taking hits?

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I am not a fan of any system that cancels my issued actions (other than stuns/disables). I hate MMO Aggro mechanics, and I hate PE Melee Engagement. I'd rather my character's actions were not cancelled and they just suffered the disengagement attack. And no, changing it to that will not make me like it. There is no saving the system with the current mechanics.

And no, Melee Engagement is not a disable.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I removed Engagement in a mod I made today and *cha-ching*, combat feels a step closer to the Infinity Engine games. A recovery time animation, changes to the movement speed, general combat pace and AI targeting clauses would probably bring it into line.
The more I read about it, the more I hate the engagement mechanics. If they leave it in in the final version, it will be the first thing I mod out.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It would be nice if you could pick a talent more frequently, though, or else the skills will only go up in large leaps once every three levels, instead of more gradually. Or can you now?

Playing now, it looks like they've increased the talent frequency to once every two levels. :greatjob: Seems like most of the talents give +2 to skills, although there are also talents that ONLY gave you skill points - those give +4. They might not need to tweak the game's skill thresholds too much to account for this, although I suppose these things get tweaked to the very end of development anyway.

The more I read about it

You can also play it and decide for yourself

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Suddenly, I have another PoE beta key to give away. Quote/tag me if interested and I'll do a draw in a couple of hours.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Man, this game doesn't fuck around. Hard is actually Hard, and it's not just the beetles now either.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
Recovery time no longer paused while moving

but there's still a recovery penalty while moving, at least for ranged weapons. the talent "shot and run" reduces this penalty. dunno if there's also something similar for melee weapons or if there's such a penalty at all.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Recovery time no longer paused while moving

but there's still a recovery penalty while moving, at least for ranged weapons. the talent "shot and run" reduces this penalty. dunno if there's also something similar for melee weapons or if there's such a penalty at all.

Yeah I know. I made this suggestion on the Obsidian forums over a month ago, to try and get Sawyer to at least get rid of it completely for melee weapons ... and what do you know, they implemented it exactly as I said. However I don't think ranged weapons should have a recovery time penalty while moving in the first place, fairly easy to mod out though.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
All skills are "non-combat". This isn't Fallout.

Before this, the skills were a minor, disconnected, auxiliary system. Now they feel like they're integrated into character development. That's good.

It would be nice if you could pick a talent more frequently, though, or else the skills will only go up in large leaps once every three levels, instead of more gradually. Or can you now?
One downside is ease of planning. It's going to take a lot more effort now to make sure you get the abilities and skills you want.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
All skills are "non-combat". This isn't Fallout.

Before this, the skills were a minor, disconnected, auxiliary system. Now they feel like they're integrated into character development. That's good.

One downside is ease of planning. It's going to take a lot more effort now to make sure you get the abilities and skills you want.

I wouldn't say a lot more. There are a LOT of talents and they all give you a +2 to something, or +1 to two skills. And there don't seem to be prerequisites or anything - all the talents are available for selection each time. So it's not like 3E's build metagame.

Sensuki

Arcane
How's this for over the top Spell FX. I cast a Chanter Incantation and the entire fucking screen went dark for a few seconds .... who's the moron who thought that was a good idea ?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Posh Josh said:
[Skills-through-talents] is not really that major a change in terms of the time to implement.

In watching how people play PoE, skill advancement was bordering on mindless. Every player I watched simply mashed one skill for their chosen character, effectively making it a non-choice. In practical terms, there were still problems with redundancy because, as in many RPGs, skills often act as keys to locks (literal and figurative). Only one person needs to be able to open the lock, meaning anyone with redundant skills simply has wasted points.

Linking skill advancement to Talents is an attempt to make the choice more meaningful and making redundancy less relevant since the primary investment for the players is the Talent, not the skill.

The normal skill progression system is disabled so we can see how it works using only Talents.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
New 2.5Gb patch on Steam.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom