Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
The new Stamina and Health system will portentially have issues where Paladins, Chanters and the like cannot fill the tanking role and that will pigeonhole front line classes even more into taking the aggro - which I don't think is good. We asked for more flexibility, not the opposite.

Athelas

Arcane
I don't understand the proposed change from the current system to one where you take 1:1 damage (and will presumably have massive Health). Were people really struggling with the simple rule of Stamina damage meaning 0.25% corresponding Health loss?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't understand the proposed change from the current system to one where you take 1:1 damage (and will presumably have massive Health). Were people really struggling with the simple rule of Stamina damage meaning 0.25% corresponding Health loss?
Decimals make math harder to do in your head. Humans are strange.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
More Josh:

RsunGHd.png

dMElHiS.png

mastroego

Arcane
@Spells Debate:

Guys, in BG2 I used low-level spells ALL the time, even in ToB.

- Magic Missile is useful to remove Mirror Image, and quickly nullify a Stoneskin: 5 charges go down in a moment! Also it inflicts Magic Damage, sometimes that is useful
- Mirror Image is very useful even after the exe patch (it used to protect from area spells too!). With characters like Kensai-Mages you cast it ALL the time to survive in Combat. Just like Blur, Spirit Armor and such.
- Charm, Slow and similar spells can always work especially with the 4th level curse spell (can't recall the name sorry).
- There are also a bunch of utility spells that you can keep memorized even if you don't use them all the time.
- Cast a couple of webs at the same time and you'll still slow down hordes of enemies
- Probably a lot more, haven't played in quite a while

Since after all you ARE advancing in level the usefulness-curve of these spells feels absolutely right.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My response to the concept of changing health/stamina ratio for some classes but not others (which makes the game more in-line with D&D and reduces its "classless RPG-like" nature): http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/68384-josh-says-poes-fighters-and-rogues-arent-boring/?p=1507325

Infinitron said:
Classes with an inherent health advantage seem like they could easily become "must have" for most players, since the game is strongly pushing you to survive as long as possible and minimize resting, with its resting mechanic and lack of healing.

I thought that the trade-off of having to choose between a party with a long adventuring day (lots of high health "front-line class" characters) and a party with a short adventuring day (few or no high health "front-line class" characters) wasn't something this game wanted to have. That's why priests aren't health healers, right?

On the other hand, if we accept that those front-line classes really are rigidly "front-line" in their usage in a way that the other classes aren't, then maybe it all balances out. (Of course, the people who wanted more flexibility for Fighters won't like that...)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Edward_R_Murrow: Every single one of your examples is wrong from the perspective of #1: high level BG2 play combined with #2: we're not interested in what is "theoretically useful" (since we could make that argument with all PoE spells as well and then the point is moot). Remember: we are purely discussing high level relevance of low level spells here, since that's the only point where I originally disputed Felipepe. I have made no claims about mid-level play. So let's go through this one by one:

it [Mirror Image] still retains a good deal of usefulness as a combat protection that negates hits. While casters in SCS2 have numerous countermeasures against Mirror Image, many encounters don't have casters, allowing it time to shine. Things like golems, umber hulks, giants, some fiends, illithids, vampires, high-level fighters, elementals, and whatnot all have to go through the protection the "hard" way.

High level BG2 play. I cannot imagine any party that would gain anything from casting mirror image against those opponents. They are literally non-issues. They're just bags of HP vs. your hasted blenders.

And even against enemies that have countermeasures, it can be an effective tool in baiting the aforementioned measures out or otherwise manipulating the AI. If my Fighter/Mage casts Mirror Image to ward against attacks but an enemy mage casts True Sight, Oracle, Remove Magic, or whatnot it's still a favorable trade. My character has expended a lower level spell slot than the one the enemy caster used and the enemy spellslinger was occupied for a round, not being able to attack/debilitate the party.

Purely theoretical point. In reality, enemy contigencies pop and your Mirror Image is dispelled. Not a single mage-fight in high level BG2 gains any benefit from you casting Mirror Image. Resources are not an issue in 99% of these fights.

Obviously this spell has a far higher utility to parties with Fighter/Mages

Not really. Fighter/Mages gain just as little from having their spell instantly dispelled by a stored true seeing/remove magic/motherfucking anything as any other mages.

-Melf's Acid Arrow still serves to effectively disrupt any caster it can hit.

Too bad it literally can't hit a single mage in high level BG2 play. Literally not a one, even in Vanilla. Unless you stripped their protections, in which case they're dead no matter the strategy.

-As previously mentioned, Skull Trap was extremely good at dealing out lots of magical damage.

It seems you didn't read my posts. Skull Trap is arguably a bug. If you don't concede a 3rd level spell breaking the rules that all other (even HLA spells) follow a bug, then I concede that a 3rd level spell being one of the most damaging in the game certainly is useful.

-Sunfire is also excellent as it

Which enemy - pray tell - do you use sunfire against? Non-casters that are literally non-issues at the levels we're debating? Your fifth level spell slots are dedicated to the only once-in-a-blue-moon relevant spells in high level play - chiefly Lower Resistance and Breach. The first is used in combination with Time Stop and Alacrity to unleash the lower-level spell-flurries I discussed in the first post against largely weapon-immune but non-spell protected enemies.

Web, Glitterdust, Slow, Emotion, and Chaos can all stay relevant into Throne of Bhaal. While they'll be of little help against some of the highest-tier foes, replete with hard-coded immunities or lattices of spell protection, almost everything else is fair game to one or more of these powerful debilitations.

The reason this is wrong is that:

#1: Like you say, highest-tier foes simply ignore them.

#2: No-high-tier foes get destroyed without any other resource-expenditure on your side with the simple use of haste.

To illustrate, imagine a group in which six foes are vulnerable to one of these spells and within the spell's area of effect. Even if the foes all have "boss-like" saving throws (low single digits, in this case a Save vs Spells of 4), a quick binomial probability calculation says there's only around a probability of .26 that the player reaps zero value from the spell, that no enemies are effected. More realistic saves (Save vs Spells of 8) results in a probability of less than .05 of no creature being effected from the spells. Considering that some spells carry innate saving throw penalties, that some have longer durations forcing multiple saves, or that many spells will often effect more than six creatures, these spells can still greatly effect a battlefield.

In no practical ToB fight is it optimal to spend valuable miliseconds using your mage to cast fucking Emotion on low-level mobs when he could be activating his sequencers, casting HLAs and taking down protection/casting Abi-Dalzim.

And then there are some low-level spells that are outright all-stars, like Spook, Haste, Melf's Minute Meteors, Stoneskin, Fire Shield, and Teleport Field.

Haste and Stoneskin I already mentioned as exceptions. Minute Meteors are outclassed point-for-point by Energy Blades. Again, I have to hold you to the point I am making and the discussion we are having. Felipepepe said that in Poe, unlike in BG2, spells were outclassed by greater versions of themselves. My argument was never that BG2 low level spells were useless in theory, but that their practical application wasn't that different from PoE.

Anyway, Fire Shield is literally useless unless you're on SCS that changes the spell to protect against insect swarm. Teleport Field is chiefly useful for the AI because it's sort of a cheat-defense vs. your fighters. Against enemy fighters it is much less applicable since there are almost no fights (portal fight in Warden's Keep comes to mind as the only one) that has actually threatening melee fighters. And here, unless you're on mods, they will attack in manageable chunks.

Again, your points are purely theoretical. You could do all the things you say, just like you can in PoE. The question is whether it is surperior to just using your high level arsenal, and it is not.

I disagree with the assertion that low level spells become useless in the lategame of BG2, even with SCS2.

Your arguments only hold up as theoretical points, and those points can be made just as well for PoE. In fact they can be made stronger for PoE due to Sawyer actually implementing changes in the way spells are available on higher levels.

In a D&D-like system, there's a bit of a decision. The Dispel Magic might be necessary in a later encounter, forcing the player to think ahead and make a more interesting choice.

And there it is. I thought someone would make the conservation of resources argument at some point. Come on, Edward. Of all theoretical arguments you've made, this is the most theoretical of all. Unless you willfully enforce resting-rules on yourself, there is not a single fight in neither BG2 nor ToB that I can't start with a full arsenal at the click of a button.

And before you get started: no, arguments like "but what if you have a party of six mages" aren't applicable. I could make the exact same arguments in a PoE context.

TL;DR: Whatever "true" arguments you make fail to ackknowledge that we're only having this discussion because I disputed felipepepe 's point that BG2 spells were useful into the late game to a much larger extend than PoE spells. Each time you say "well, theoretically, you could cast slow/melf's acid arrow here instead of something better", my answer is "sure... you can do that in PoE to, making the point entirely moot." The bottom line is that despite BG2's scalings, in 99% of all cases it was not correct to cast low level spells.

There is actually a defense for low level spells that you guys haven't made though. Spell Trigger, Spell Sequencer, Contigency and other versions of this spell arguably did more for low level spells than the low level spells do for themselves. Without the spell storage spells, low level spells would be used almost not at all. However due to these spells, you actually see the effects of low level spells even if you don't cast them.

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Just got back Matt516's final edit of Section 1 and Section 2 of our paper and wooooow, it's awesome. Can't wait to get Section 3 completed.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Web is highly effective in SCS2, stack them down and you can beat some boss battles without even taking damage. Web is a level 2 spell, btw.

Hasting your guys into "blenders" is a messy and lazy "tactic" reserved for SCS2 noobs. Veterans take no damage: debuffing, disabling and then destroying is more efficient, and elegant.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
BG2:

Mirror Image, like Improved Invis, is one of the best defensive spells right up to the end fight of ToB. Used in tandem with Spell Immunity: Divination if necessary.
Sunfire was useful against mobs with spell resistance but no fire resistance, like vampires, drows.
Emotion was useful enough to always have a sequenzer with Remove Magic, Malison, Emotion ready. Farsight was almost necessary to make full use of Project Image. Spell Immunity - perhaps the best of them all.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Lilura: In that, case, why not just beat encounters by going into a room and then leaving it and wait while spells wear down their duration? Why you guys bother to play the game with what amounts to CLUAing in immortality beats me, but it's hardly relevant for this discussion.

BSunfire was useful against mobs with spell resistance but no fire resistance, like vampires, drows.

You didn't even bother to read even the first fucking sentence of my post did you, much less the later parts, did you?

Delterius

Arcane
Lilura: In that, case, why not just beat encounters by going into a room and then leaving it and wait while spells wear down their duration?
Really? You are equating leaving the room and exploiting the AI to disabling enemies via Web?

Maybe Haste is the same as using Shadowkeeper to give you 20 attacks per round or something.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Lilura: In that, case, why not just beat encounters by going into a room and then leaving it and wait while spells wear down their duration?
Really? You are equating leaving the room and exploiting the AI to disabling enemies via spells?

Not "disabling enemy via spells", stacking the same cheesey tactic on top of them keeping out of their view until their defenses go down. Unless Lilura was talking about common mobs, in which case you don't take any damage with haste-blender either, and it's much, much faster. So if she was (talking about common mobs), her argument would make no sense.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
it's weird having to stealth with all party members. IMO scouting/stealth is another example of "less is more" and "infinity engine did it better."

And Grunker keeps on Grunking... why am I not surprised?
"grunking" - is that when grunker is discussing what's being discussed instead of ever even slightly diverging a discussion? e.g. "no, you said", "I said", etc. because this is something I've observed and found to be pretty funny.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
"grunking" - is that when grunker is discussing what's being discussed instead of ever even slightly diverging a discussion? e.g. "no, you said", "I said", etc. because this is something I've observed and found to be pretty funny.

lol

"grunking" seems to be a verb chiefly used when I make long posts about a narrow subject that someone disagrees with.

Zetor

Arcane
When I did my SCS+ToB Ascension playthrough a few weeks ago, I did every major sequence* in one rest (and no Wish rest cheesing either). This made low-level spell choices crucial, and absolutely useful. Same for dealing with trash enemies that are still potentially dangerous if left unchecked; e.g. when the monks, the mercenaries, and the badguys attacked me all at once at Amkethran, things like Horror/Confusion/Chaos were absolute gold there. I distinctly remember one of my casters using Spook to get rid of an ice salamander during the improved Abazigal fight so I could focus on the more important enemies.

* by 'sequence' I mean each major boss. So for example I did Saradush, Gromnir, the forest temple, the fire giant temple/keep thing and Yaga-Shura's camp without resting -- low-level disabling spells were extremely useful in Y-S' camp, for instance, as were lower-level summons in the fire giant temple. Oh yeah, Improved Y-S is a badly-designed mess.

Yep. p. much. like his reply to edward r morrow and his retarded argument of leave the room ai exploit to 2*web disabling tactic to lilura.

He is still determined to Grunk that low level spells weren't worth all that much in bg2 tob high level play inspite of many examples to the contrary.

Weasel
"grunking" seems to be a verb chiefly used when I make long posts about a narrow subject that someone disagrees with.

Arguing over the precise definition of "grunking"... is a prime example of grunking.

:troll:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I willingly enforced non-game rules on myself which changed how the game played.

You don't fucking say. Again, the same exact argument can be applied to PoE.

By the way:

Zed said:
is that when grunker is discussing what's being discussed

I'm not interesting in being held accountable for things I didn't say. My guess is very few people are. I don't find anything illegitimate about the fact that I keep clarifying my opinion in case the person I'm discussing with is misrepresenting it. Diversion and strawmen is common in trivial discussions like these, and little is usually gained by people slinging that shit at each other. If that's "grunking" then I guess it's a cross I'll have to bear.

Waterd

Augur
The more I read about the game, the more I think there are great ideas in there, is so sad that the combat is gonna suck.

Zetor

Arcane
I willingly enforced non-game rules on myself which changed how the game played.

I don't care whether it can be applied to POE or not, I never argued for and against that -- I was purely responding to "low-level spells are useless in high-level bg2". They are not. They may not be "optimal", but screw optimal.

Speaking of non-optimal, I ~willingly enforced non-game rules on myself~ because otherwise high-level ad&d becomes a badly designed snoozefest... which would be why I mentioned DQK and POD (gold box games) in my previous post on this subject. Yes, I could've defeated everything much easier if I double-rested before each encounter loading up sequencers and chain contingencies, and opening with timestop + IA + (HLA / level 7-9 spell dumps)... but that's not particularly engaging, or fun.

e: also, Spell Revisions makes a lot of low-level spells a lot more useful, as I said in my original post. Which, btw, is pretty clear that I'm talking about BG2 spell usefulness without anything to do with POE. sigh.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I don't care whether it can be applied to POE or not

Well, seeing as you replied to a post that was made solely in the context of whether felipepepe was right that PoE differed from BG2 on this point, you'll forgive me for believing that. What was your point in quoting the post and writing a rebuttal if you don't disagree with me, exactly? If you change the rules of the game, the game works differently. It's not a point I have contested.

You'd think my inclination to discuss what's being discussed is pretty self-evident here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom