Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Abhay

Augur
Can anyone provide a short review?
I am reading not-so good, rather mixed opinions on the game , esp. the combat seems to be getting the most praise, while the rest of the aspects like story and world buding seems not so praiseworthy

Is this game really good, or worth a buy?

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
And I don't know why people keep complaining about these things anymore, it's clearly here to stay and will go even further in the future to the point where it will become the new ''normal'' way of life, which means you need to learn to deal with it. There's a new generation coming in that doesn't put much price on who's dick Eder suck or whatever, it's sad, but that's what happens when you are starting to become an old fossil and expect the world to stay true to your ''outdated'' visions.
No, it is not. This is just a view point expressed by a minority. Fuck you!

You better learn how to take it up the ass bucko, because it's coming and you need to deal with it.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
Can anyone provide a short review?
I am reading not-so good, rather mixed opinions on the game , esp. the combat seems to be getting the most praise, while the rest of the aspects like story and world buding seems not so praiseworthy

Is this game really good, or worth a buy?

It's worse than BG 2 but better than NWN 2: SoZ.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
the reason I made my initial comment was because his line of thinking was totally true in my case with regards to his products. I followed along during the creation of Age of Decadence and bought it when it came out, and while I enjoyed it, it was not an overwhelming joy. It was high quality, but just not exactly the type of game I prefer (I really liked Dungeon Rats however). If he had decided his next project was AoD 2 I probably never would have bought it. But his new project Nedw World on the other hand I am really looking forward to and will certainly buy. I will have bought all of his games when this occurs.

I just found it very insightful on his part and he will be maximizing the return on his efforts I believe instead of randomly making games and not really understanding why one sold better than another.
:greatjob:

When conformation bias kicks in

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hello elders of the RPG Codex, I'm looking for a concise but in-depth and well-thought-out opinion about this new game that I've heard of

Random troll: It's shit

Thank you, I won't buy it and will never visit this thread again

2house2fly

Magister
Do you seriously think that it's just a coincidence that despite each companion being assigned to a different writer, every single one of them turned out to be bisexual, with the exception of Eder and Pallegina since they were already established as heterosexual in the first game
No they weren't

Grab the Codex by the pussy
The main plot you could probably do in about 6 ~ 10 hours (and that's only if you decide to go with a faction). I ended up ignoring most of the bounties once I got bored of the ship combat, didn't bother with the Valian Trading Company, and likely missed a handful of quests, but I did fully explore the map and cleared out my journal of all active quests by the end, so I likely saw roughly 80% of what the game has to offer.
If the game had turn-based combat it would easily take twice as much to finish, but it has RTwP-I-hate-tatical-make-it-quick combat system in it, so it's shorter.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
just won a really annoying fight against a lich. well, i thought i won, but turns out pallegina got stuck with a permanent fear effect that made her unable to move and resting did not help. playing this on release was a really bad decision.

on the topic of the gay agenda:
"it's not like you have to gay romance anyone"
yeah, i just have to constantly hear about this shit. they literally FORCE YOU into dialogue to talk about this crap.
no maia, i don't want a fuckbuddy relationship, and i don't care what you do with "shawty" either. i am the captain of a ship with better things to do than manage your depraved sex lives.

Rymrgand is a badass motherfucker.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
What about Fulvano's Voyage, after all?

https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_body_images%2Fimages%2F875e66ad29140ec0704d57732579c816a729de29%2Foriginal.jpg%3F1487975427

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Factions are disappoiting by comparison with new vegas. But then again, NV's factions and how they interact with each other is an exceptionally well designed case.
The main problem is how the main plot, because it revoves around this gods' business gimmick, feels completely disconnected from them, and it really feels disconnected from what's actually happening in the world as well.
It works on a story basis, but it's not any less lame.

However factions have interactions here and there. The Vailians asked me to secure their adra in Poko Kohara, then the Japanese made me a counter-offer to sabotage this very site and slow down italian progress in the archipelago.
The food shortage of the communists in the Gullet is another example, where you can lie to the local power about the pirates' operations and have them smuggle food in, or put an end to it and have the authorities get their shit together. You can also make the eothasians be in charge.
There's a fair amount of interconnected faction quests. It's just that, unlike NV, the game isn't designed around these factions.
I also like how factions are clearly asymmetrical. Japan and Italy compete on the colonial level, and their interaction revolves around settlements around the archipelago. Everyone has some grudge against the pirates at some point. The Huana faction isn't really a faction, it's just there to track how you interact with locals. But since it's been treated at some side content, instead of making it a general rule of design like FNV (which would have been awesome), I can see how it feels lacking.
I still find it miles above the first game, as it is.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Props for what? Josh is the narrative lead, he approved of the other writers making everyone bisexual.
Josh's official stance was "I let the individual writers do what they wanted to with their characters with regard to romance/sexuality." He washed his hands of it..
Do you seriously think that it's just a coincidence that despite each companion being assigned to a different writer, every single one of them turned out to be bisexual, with the exception of Eder and Pallegina since they were already established as heterosexual in the first game (Aloth's sexuality was always ambiguous due to the whole Iselmyr thing)?

Someone mandated this, either an owner like Feargus or Josh 'I yell at people to make my games gayer' Sawyer.

nobE9z9.png

And people are still delusional enough to think there's no agenda involved. They do it because they want to be inclusive and they also fear the backlash from the jurnous and liberals, you could call it, involuntarily pushing an agenda and in the end it's still the basic concept of pushing an agenda. And I don't know why people keep complaining about these things anymore, it's clearly here to stay and will go even further in the future to the point where it will become the new ''normal'' way of life, which means you need to learn to deal with it. There's a new generation coming in that doesn't put much price on who's dick Eder suck or whatever, it's sad, but that's what happens when you are starting to become an old fossil and expect the world to stay true to your ''outdated'' visions.
I wouldnt be so sure of this, the younger generations are alot more conservative than the stupid millenials and even among those, the number of red pilled are growing fast.

California, New York and another liberal stringholds are collapsing, moving to become third world shitholes like Illinois, people are fleeing California in droves, the conservatives are moving to turn the table on libruls and the culture may change on a a way they arent expecting.

Grab the Codex by the pussy
When conformation bias kicks in
On the contrary. We are talking about a developer making better decisions because he is not afflicted by confirmation bias.

Hello elders of the RPG Codex, I'm looking for a concise but in-depth and well-thought-out opinion about this new game that I've heard
Hello shills of the RPG Codex, I'm looking for a sophisticated defense of this piece of garbage with streamlined combat and tumblerinas writing that is not blind fanboysm and shilling.

2house2fly

Magister
So is this game in a playable state?

Does it have any devastating bugs like PoE 1 did on release? (if you don't remember, PoE 1 had an insidious bug where saving/loading in a certain area increased stats every time you loaded)
Ironically the stat bug would probably be better. The main bugs are in save imports, relationship progression, and quests- exactly the things that need to work for the Normal Mode casual audience they're hoping will push them over a million sales. The story is bugged

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So is this game in a playable state?

Does it have any devastating bugs like PoE 1 did on release? (if you don't remember, PoE 1 had an insidious bug where saving/loading in a certain area increased stats every time you loaded)
Ironically the stat bug would probably be better. The main bugs are in save imports, relationship progression, and quests- exactly the things that need to work for the Normal Mode casual audience they're hoping will push them over a million sales. The story is bugged

"Relationship bugs" (related to frequency and firing of banter dialogues and so on) are a curiously common thing in these sorts of RPGs. BG2 and Planescape: Torment had similar issues. Perhaps due to their timing-based nature they're more difficult to diagnose with standard QA methodologies.

Abhay

Augur
Right. I am looking for opinions, and not going to simply decide of not buying
Hello elders of the RPG Codex, I'm looking for a concise but in-depth and well-thought-out opinion about this new game that I've heard of

Random troll: It's shit

Thank you, I won't buy it and will never visit this thread again
Not really. No one makes a decision like that based on just one opinion. I was only responding to what he thinks about the game, and if it's indeed worse than BG2, then obviously it's not worth a buy, as I absolutely loved BG2, and its always the game I prefer for comparing how good the new games are.

Parabalus

Arcane
What about Fulvano's Voyage, after all?

https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_body_images%2Fimages%2F875e66ad29140ec0704d57732579c816a729de29%2Foriginal.jpg%3F1487975427

I was just wondering that myself. There is a quest at VIII that sends you to vaguely those general areas, and it's pretty awesome.

Never found any mention of Fulvano in the game though.

It's what Tennyson warned us about.

Flow down, cold clitoris, to the sea,
Thy tribute wave deliver:
No more by thee my dick shall be,
For ever and for ever.

We should've listened. :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom