Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
finally bonerbill is back to shitting my posts

i was wondering what took him so long

I just hate you in general. I'llkeep doing it till the day I die. :p

tumblr_me6oayA9Em1r96x1xo1_400.png

potatojohn

Arcane
So is this game in a playable state?

Does it have any devastating bugs like PoE 1 did on release? (if you don't remember, PoE 1 had an insidious bug where saving/loading in a certain area increased stats every time you loaded)

Prime Junta

Does it have any devastating bugs like PoE 1 did on release? (if you don't remember, PoE 1 had an insidious bug where saving/loading in a certain area increased stats every time you loaded)

I'd hold off until a few patches are in. It's not devastatingly broken but lots of the secondary systems are pretty badly bugged, party relationships and naval combat for example.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I finished it tonight (final hour count was just shy of 38) and my earlier opinion of it being shallow still holds. Some random stream of thought shit since it's late and I'm tired.

- Factions are disappointing. None of them are particularly interesting and while you can have your Watcher criss-cross between them, the factions themselves never really seem to interact much. You never really get a Camp Forlorn Hope / Nelson situation. There's also not really any smaller factions whose future you get to decide in relation to your main faction like the Boomers, Khans, and Brotherhood. The pirates / Principi probably should've been made into such a faction; they really don't have any relation to the main plot or the power struggle for Neketaka (seriously, half of their quest chain revolves around a ghost ship).

- Companions are shit. Not only is there not a single interesting one among the lot but they generally seem to have less content than Verse and Barik in Tyranny, a game which is very obviously missing gigantic chunks from it. The hyped up relationship system amounted to nothing. As far as I could tell if a companion liked you enough then they'd talk to you more and give you their personal quest. Since the companions have very little content you don't really get much out of that. Each companion only seems to have three or four conversations and their personal quests tend to be very short and anticlimactic. Aloth's quest is like ten minutes long. I'm curious as to whether or not they had to cut out large chunks from the companions once full voice acting was decided on, that's the only explanation I can see for this beyond incompetence.

- The writing in general is... not great. It feels like the only thing they took away from the complaints about PoE1's writing was 'make it shorter'. So instead of giving up on the overly descriptive purple prose, they just compacted it down to denser, purpler prose. It's not completely horrible, there were some NPCs I liked (e.g. Atsura, who'd try to manipulate you based on your dispositions) but in general a lot of it was just sorta... dull. There wasn't really any quest or plotline I was really interested in seeing what would happen next in.

- Quests are a mixed bag. Most of them can be solved in a variety of ways, including with stealth and even sometimes with an item you might've picked up in another quest, which is always great. But with the writing being as dull and uninspired as it was none of them ever really grabbed me. The only one that really jumps to mind was when I stumbled upon an island that worshiped a fake god, but that was mostly just due to the concept.

- Exploration didn't really do much for me. If you're someone who really likes to explore just for the sake of exploring and finding stuff then you'll probably like it a lot more. For me, though, most of what you find was too small and inconsequential. I'd have preferred it if they condensed a lot of the islands into bigger ones and combined some of the quests to make longer, denser quest chains.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Main quest is like 4 missions. Leave Tutorial Island and go to Main Island. Go to place 1. Go to place 2. Get levels and equipment or support of one faction & Go to endgame.

EDIT: Just to be clear - the last step can take some time and is 2 separate quests, so let's give credit where it is due - 5 quests.

Up to go to place 1 I think you can do this one after another, straight outta Port Maje.. Place 2 requires some more serious firepower on the party behalf.

Last edited:

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
38 hours? Did you mainly stick to the main quest or is the game just that short?

Mostly the latter. The main plot you could probably do in about 6 ~ 10 hours (and that's only if you decide to go with a faction). I ended up ignoring most of the bounties once I got bored of the ship combat, didn't bother with the Valian Trading Company, and likely missed a handful of quests, but I did fully explore the map and cleared out my journal of all active quests by the end, so I likely saw roughly 80% of what the game has to offer.

Xeon

Augur
Yeah, main quest is very short. If story difficulty allows you not to worry about the combat then you can probably beat the game in less than an hour with no glitches.

Game is really good performance wise, even at the end the saving was instant and everything was smooth, I didn't use any SSD or performance enhancing techs.

Bugs, didn't encounter any game breaking, just annoyances thankfully. Some people reported about them but not sure how common they are.

Perkel

Arcane
Can someone explain me that part about narrator ?
There are like 4 cutscenes where you hear her in whole game which are all max 15 minutes.

Do you have voices in your head ? Narrator in dialogs is silent.

Also she is not narrator strictly speaking but your other soul part in Eothas and voice being female drives point that after that split souls became their own beings and there is reactivity to that.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
There was one bug that I ran into a couple of times. Every so often in combat an enemy would refuse to die -- his health would be at zero yet wouldn't fallen, making me have to reload. Outside of somewhat choppy performance in places that was the only problem I ran into.

Perkel

Arcane
I think choppy performance is due to memory leaks, they are not that serious but they still are.
Usually when you restart game or fire it up first time you get good performance but once you switch several maps then performance goes down.

Biggest one hit me when i talked to some dragon, basically every second game would stop for half second. Reloaded game and 0 stutter.

Xeon

Augur
That reminds me, why is the Watcher famous for being the lord of Caed Nua? its like being a lord of a one of kind place or a center of trade or something but it was a shitty castle on top of some ruins, there are probably dozens of other locations like that.

The pirate at the very early of the game, mentioned the Watcher being a dragon slayer, that would have been a better thing to recognize him for, especially since he said there weren't any living Dragon Slayers in existence or something.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
you are famous for being that walking fuck up that killed a respected local lord, plunged the capital of dyrwood into chaos, got its duke murdered and animancy outlawed

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Gotta say, I'm starting to really enjoy this game. The areas all seem to be WM tier good. The pacing is very nice so far, plenty of side quests and optional stuff but not on overwhelming amount.

One more complaint about the writing though. I think the worst part has to be the dialogue response options. Most of the time they're just different ways of saying the same thing, so you don't actually have much choice in what your character is saying and doing. A lot of times they're pointless and cringey, like threatening to kick the gods' ass in the dream sequences. I feel like the first game had more interesting and better written choices in dialogue.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Oh, and also, did I just miss something or was the Legacy creator thing fucking awful? There seemed to be next to no context for any of the choices. Most of them were like 'did [x] die?' with no explanation of who that was or what effect it had. I kept having to use the game's wiki for reference but even then that didn't always help.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
...animancy outlawed
Speaking of which: I don't really remember, but after that Lord was assassinated in PoE1, was there still a point where I could decide if animancy is outlawed or not?
Because if so, I definitely decided to outlaw it. Which would be another (until now minor) import bug. Some texts in PoE2 say that it'd be allowed in the Dyrwood.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Gotta say, I'm starting to really enjoy this game. The areas all seem to be WM tier good. The pacing is very nice so far, plenty of side quests and optional stuff but not on overwhelming amount.

One more complaint about the writing though. I think the worst part has to be the dialogue response options. Most of the time they're just different ways of saying the same thing, so you don't actually have much choice in what your character is saying and doing. A lot of times they're pointless and cringey, like threatening to kick the gods' ass in the dream sequences. I feel like the first game had more interesting and better written choices in dialogue.

1. Yes.
2. Yea, verily.
3. Fuck you!
4. [Shrug]

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
Just give me Tyranny 2 next Obsidian- first one was truly amazing game.
Pillars are good but lacks something special that Tyranny carried from BG 1 & 2 + IWD 's, PT , Arcanum, F 1&2 and THAT "Golden" era. It has SOMETHING. Pillars are just another crpg comfort fast food like DOS I & II / - nice and all , but leaves no bigger memories after 3 months.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom