Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I hate this game's soundtrack so much.

Are the sound files loose .ogg, same as POE1? In that case someone could easily make a music replacer mod. What if...

Lol, please use Pink Panther theme as intro soundtrack for the sequence when your soul walks on the Wheel. This needs to happen.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Here's another thing that's out of tune -
At 0:45, listen to the plucked strings.
I hear something odd at 0:55-0:57 but I think game if anything could use of this sort energetic music instead of sleepy one.

I only ever heard this track when I was checking on OST btw, never in game

Here's another bagpipe thing that is out of tune, especially at around 2:25.
k that actually felt like knife over chalkboard

Delterius

Arcane

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I hear something odd at 0:55-0:57 but I think game if anything could use of this sort energetic music instead of sleepy one.

Almost the entire section with the plucked strings is out of tune, especially at around 0:55, it's pretty terrible. I think the open strings are in just/mean temperament instead of equal and they sound even worse because they ring out over time.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Can it be stylized, to make it feel like drunk pirates play it, or is something like that unheard of?

Lacrymas

Arcane
This is normal in folk music, this is just how they play and tune their instruments, the difference is that they never have chords or orchestral sections playing over/under them, so they don't sound terrible in their "usual environment".

The Bishop

Cipher
I don't hear orchestra in that bagpipe piece, only some guitar and tambourine. Is it a very quiet orchestra?

Plucked strings part, however, is obviously out of tune. If I had to guess, I'd say the stings are just a snippet taken out of a sample library as some kind of thematic sound effect that wasn't meant to be in tune. You might not like the choice. I know I don't. But this doesn't mean the composer doesn't understand tuning.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The plucked strings have the orchestra over it, not the bagpipe one, the bagpipe has accompaniment under it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The B-flat is flat for one, it's not even clear if it's supposed to be a B-flat or an A, I hear it as a B-flat. And then everything after that sounds awful. It's seriously out of tune.

Last edited:

The Bishop

Cipher
Yes, it's very imperfect. I think it's kind of supposed to sound very imperfect, like a performance of a medieval roaming band. The choice of instruments and style kinda suggests that too. It's quirky, and there's a charm in that.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yeah, the only creative/quirky thing in the entire soundtrack being an out of tune bagpipe isn't a good track record, lol. But, like I said, I'm going to remember this forever, sooooo.

Anyway, are there any story talents in this one? I was expecting to get one after beating the dice guy in Deadlight a few times, but no such luck.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Fought the magma dragon, no special music, just the drums like everything else. Bleh.

Nothing in this game anywhere close to this:

Finished the game:

All the faction choices seemed bad so I took the solo ending option. I figured that would prevent any group from gaining the upper hand but I guess that was a bad thing. The ending slides told me the deadfire islands fell into massive chaos and war. I bet that choice will make for interesting consequences in some future game.*

*by consequences I mean one or two lines of text explaining how it shook out.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
My endgame was pretty lulzy. The ambient soundtrack for the 'Watcher-vision' moment just before the finale glitched out and overrode the rest of the soundtrack, which meant that everything from my final encounter to Eothas had no music.

My end-slide also bugged out with Pallegina because she didn't wind up leaving my party when I sided with the Rauatai, something that got patched literally hours before I completed it, leading to her just not having any ending slide at all. Tekehu in-game also left my party in the night and left me a letter basically saying he regretted ever meeting me and hoping that I die and that my reincarnation never has the misfortune of remembering or learning what it did in its past life, yet the ending slide says we parted amicably for him to pursue a career as a street artist.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'd never join a group just because they are pirates for the sake of being pirates, so it's not a very attractive group. I'd be a criminal to stick it to a system that I disagree with, but never for its own sake. They obviously have enough resources to live off of, so it's not a problem of living conditions. I don't know what kind of character would join them, considering we were official aristocracy in the Dyrwood. Context and prior experiences matter.

we have very different ideas about the role of the feudal aristocracy... a pirate is just a robber baron who can swim.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Here's another thing that's out of tune -

At 0:45, listen to the plucked strings.

isn't that a tenor banjo though

even if mixing a tenor banjo with orchestrations is certainly a very ho-hum original idea

(Can it be stylized, to make it feel like drunk pirates play it)

This is normal in folk music, this is just how they play and tune their instruments

:nocountryforshitposters:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The music is annoyingly bad at times, and many locations don't have a properly fitting track. Music mod will be obligatory.

The ogg files are converted to some other type, but there are free tools for converting them to ogg and back.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Flatter than it should be :p

we have very different ideas about the role of the feudal aristocracy... a pirate is just a robber baron who can swim.

I can't find any information about feudal robber barons anywhere. Only Wikipedia has an article, but it's without citations. Everything else is about the industrialists.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
330 pages for bland, boring game with no interesting story and "seen-it-before" uninspired gameplay.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Well, I wouldn't say it's a seen-it-before thing in terms of combat, it feels very different than the IE games. It's a bit of a mess now, but it looks like a Sawyerist creation and I'm enjoying it so far. The one thing I don't like is still the rotation of abilities every fight, some of them last too short a time and it's annoying having to constantly refresh them. There's also the fact the limited spell selection encourages samey tactics every fight, but I haven't experienced that yet, I'm sure I will when I get more levels under my belt and everything becomes "Select All -> Right click". Penetration for casters is still shit, I don't think about it at all with my melee, so it's just like I said it's going to be, pointless when you have enough Penetration, insurmountable when you don't.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom