Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

DemonKing

Arcane
I can see why people are making SoZ comparisons but I wasn't particularly fond of that game with all its micro-dungeons. I'm enjoying this so far though. Went to Fort Deadlight and there were obviously quite a number of solutions to the main side quest, including one which was very Hitman in its execution. Feeling quite piratey so far which is a plus.

Some of the text/conversations are overly verbose but thank god we know longer have to put up with all those "You see a mysterious, hooded figure who just happens to be awesome" backer-created NPCs that polluted the original game.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
My PC is a chanter and I just realized I've clocked 8 hours without even setting up any of his chants. Everything was dying so fast, it just slipped my mind.

What were Sawyers 3 core design principles, again?

Exploration of beautiful environments - successful.

Compelling story - remains to be seen.

Deep tactical combat -

:despair:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
also I made a mistake going barbarian/wizard

Summon some weapons, use Arcane Veil, and Carnage everything yo

I've been using a Ranger + Companion the whole time. Basically, every ranger comes with a free tank who cannot die. Wolves and bears seem to be the best choices.

In other news, entering the arena beneath the ruins leads to crashes for many people (including myself). So I guess I'll have to wait for the hotfix first.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
My PC is a chanter and I just realized I've clocked 8 hours without even setting up any of his chants. Everything was dying so fast, it just slipped my mind.

Deep tactical combat -

Sounds like you have something to chat with him about at the water cooler tomorrow.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
Is anyone else getting their formation messed up? Every load my characters seem to be shuffling around. I can't hotkey this stuff. And the Infinity Engine games are actually brilliant for their hotkey potential. The lack of the special function keys for the magical/skill abilities is a huge decline.

Deep tactical combat -

Dude again, you're playing on normal. It's not our fault if the videogame culture has changed the definition of normal. Developers follow culture, and the players have to adapt. Play on a harder difficulty. It isn't that big a deal.

2house2fly

Magister
I'm not surprised at all. I implied we don't need to go back to the same old well for voice actors. The old ones have their flaws, too. Sending off David Warner with a Pillars role would be overly sentimental. But yes, he could have voiced the narrator, and I believe he would have done an excellent job.

I even like Xoti's voice over. I just don't think she does well as a narrator. But that gets back to my remark about diversity. Am I only upset by this narrator because she's voiced by a woman? Or am I upset because her voice doesn't have enough neutrality and gravitas? Are those vague descriptions inherently masculine?
I'm kind of wondering the same thing; I immediately disliked this narrator where with the Pillars 1 narrator I was neutral at worst. Do I dislike her because she just doesn't do a very good job, or because the change in narrator is a break in continuity, or because I'm not used to a story being told by a woman? But then I never had a problem with the female narrator in God Of War back in the day, and Kreia in KOTOR2 dropped so much lore she was essentially a narrator herself, and she was great. Of course, a lot of the narration is unnecessary, which doesn't help

Prime Junta

It does need a Balancing. Coming in a week or so. Wait or enjoy your storymode in the meantime.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
I put it on Veteran hours ago, mate. It barely makes any difference.
Ah. So you can't put it on Path of the Damned. That makes sense. You had changed the difficulty. Fantastic. I am having fun on PotD. It is much easier than Pillars 1, granted, but I've had some "oh, shit" moments that made me reevaluate my tactics on the fly to clear the encounter. Those moments are the only reason I bother playing on higher difficulties. I, too, hate metagaming. But being flexible with my strategies and figuring out how to utilize my abilities to the fullest is the reason I bother with combat at all.

Jinn

Arcane
It does need a Balancing. Coming in a week or so. Wait or enjoy your storymode in the meantime.

I've still been having a pretty decently challenging time on PotD. I do wish it was a little more difficult, but I don't feel it's baby's first RPG some people are making it out to be. I decided that if I started rolling over encounters, I would turn on the up only scaling, but I haven't felt it necessary yet.

And again, I've been pleasantly surprised by how well the encounter design has improved. Pretty much on par, and almost surpassing, The White March encounter design. Just needs that extra kick of challenge to bring it over the edge.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
I figure that this 'blind' POTD upscale playthrough will effectively be 'hard', and then I can play later on the fixed POTD.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Actually my party died right after starting island on potd. Just wanted to try ship combat. First ship i found was bigger, had more cannons and 10+ pirates. Because i refused furry offer i had only 4 party members. It was pointless to fight in range so my ship charged and almost sunk in process.
And then enemy gunners just one-shotted Aloth and my crusader even before i boarded their ship.

Prime Junta

It does need a Balancing. Coming in a week or so.

Do you seriously think balancing PoTD, a mode likely played by 5% of audience, is a priority for them a week after launch?

Try 3 months.

Oh, it won't be properly balanced until two or three years from now.

But Josh did apologise for the easy and say that a balance patch is coming out in a week or so.

What's your ship name btw? Here's mine, it's an ancient Elven good luck symbol

lcugqrb.png

Pizzashoes

Scholar
Actually my party died right after starting island on potd. Just wanted to try ship combat. First ship i found was bigger, had more cannons and 10+ pirates. Because i refused furry offer i had only 4 party members. It was pointless to fight in range so my ship charged and almost sunk in process.
And then enemy gunners just one-shotted Aloth and my crusader even before i boarded their ship.
Great courage to refuse a potential party member. I say that, but I’m ignoring the marine Godlike. I’m still looking for the Pale Elf cutie.

My ship name is Glory, of course. Maybe I’ll upgrade to Justice when I get a better ship. I think Xoti is flirting with the Watcher, but he would never pursue a purely sexual relationship that has no chance of legitimate offspring.

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Xoti flirts with the Watcher even when the latter is female. I haven't really followed this - there are romances in this game?

Pizzashoes

Scholar
I haven't followed it. I just got a knock on the captain's door. Some crew member (who was drunk) wanted to get in and show the captain a good time. A simple, "Not on your life," and a -5 crew morale was enough to shake him off.

Quillon

Arcane
Xoti flirts with the Watcher even when the latter is female. I haven't really followed this - there are romances in this game?
Aloth flirting with my female character. My world will never be the same.

Your world will be aloth different naow. It kana't be helped.

Shodey also flirts & hugs & stuff my male watcher even tho I try to push her to Eder.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom