Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Reapa

Doom Preacher
I'm curious to how it will pan out in actual play. 1.0 Frostseeker was stupid good and my ranger stopped even looking at any other ranged weapon.
Well this time I did not see much difference between it and any other bow. Does like 1 extra frost damage per projectile. Might be only good on particular combos like twin shot or monk's fast strike. Ended up not upgrading it and using regular superb bow instead.

You have a Cipher? Easiest to parse damage values with them. Pre-patch 1 shot from a Sup bow would give like 80-100 Focus, the frost bow would give max every time.

If it does same damage vs 1 target but more vs multi that's still pretty good.

Didn't check but I don't think description said that. Made 2 different swords instead.

It didn't say it before patch either, but it did. That's why it had so low damage and was still great. The frost bow did the same.
Frost bow got nerfd p. hard though.

I'm curious to how it will pan out in actual play. 1.0 Frostseeker was stupid good and my ranger stopped even looking at any other ranged weapon.

Blunderbusses and pistols, on the other hand, seem pr. shit?

It deserved the hard nerfs though, it outdamaged every other bow even without targets for the AoE.
Isn't it that the point of legendary and unique items?!

Not when this one is AoE - what's the point of Saint Omaku ,Veil-piercer or Massuk then?
what's the point of a rusty generic old knife if there are better weapons in the game? just cut everything that is surpassed by something else. fun game. or make everything cosmetical. much more easy to balance. every weapon do 1 dmg and only cost more or less based on material. also fun game.

Parabalus

Arcane
Well this time I did not see much difference between it and any other bow. Does like 1 extra frost damage per projectile. Might be only good on particular combos like twin shot or monk's fast strike. Ended up not upgrading it and using regular superb bow instead.

You have a Cipher? Easiest to parse damage values with them. Pre-patch 1 shot from a Sup bow would give like 80-100 Focus, the frost bow would give max every time.

If it does same damage vs 1 target but more vs multi that's still pretty good.

Didn't check but I don't think description said that. Made 2 different swords instead.

It didn't say it before patch either, but it did. That's why it had so low damage and was still great. The frost bow did the same.
Frost bow got nerfd p. hard though.

Blunderbusses and pistols, on the other hand, seem pr. shit?

It deserved the hard nerfs though, it outdamaged every other bow even without targets for the AoE.
Isn't it that the point of legendary and unique items?!

Not when this one is AoE - what's the point of Saint Omaku ,Veil-piercer or Massuk then?
what's the point of a rusty generic old knife if there are better weapons in the game? just cut everything that is surpassed by something else. fun game. or make everything cosmetical. much more easy to balance. every weapon do 1 dmg and only cost more or less based on material. also fun game.

Do you understand why a bow which does AoE damage should do less damage against one target than one which can only damage one target?
It did at least double vs just 1 compared to next best, add any more enemies and it was insane since it chained.

Tigranes

Arcane
You fucking retard, the point was that X bow was so OP that it was miles better than all the other ranged weapon options, rendering the interesting itemisation useless, and that what you want is for a variety of unique items to be not equal in power but of varying utility to different playstyles

But sure why not take Carsomyr and make it do 800 damage per hit and also be better at everything the other weapons do because buffing is better than nerfing rite

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
fantadomat

Did you even use any of those weapons?
I used some,but i don't remember their names. I am not some crazed fanboy to remember the names of vendor junk. The game was far too easy to need any careful equipment selection. Before you go in full "That is why they nurf items!" mode,the items didn't have any big impact on the game. You could just finish the game with generic weapons and armour,by just upgrading the to legendary quality. Nurfing the unique items just devalues them to generic vendor junk. A powerful weapon should be powerful,not do +2% damage. They should have make it harder to get and buffed the enemy,not just some lazy 50% debuff for most items.

Lhynn

Arcane
AD&D also has level-based acc/def gain.
This is just a bullshit way of phrasing it.

1) The Acc gain is only for physical weapons (THAC0) while magic has no concept of Acc.
Magic did have attacks, you used thac0 for those.
Defense only increased through items or magic.

The Def gain is only for the equivalents of Fortitude, Reflex, Will (saving throws) while the equivalent of Deflection (Armor Class) is determined entirely by attributes and items (which means it eventually plateaus).
Except the difficulty for saving against spells didnt increase, so your defense increased without the attack ever increasing, meaning it actually meant shit. If values just scale to your level, why even bother with them?

What I'm wondering is how relatively important each of these differences are in making PoE's combat play differently from AD&D.
About as important as the differences between apples and oranges. And they play just as differently.

Lhynn

Arcane
So i spoke to serafen at the boat and he just strongly sugested i shouldnt associate with slavers. It left me confused as we had just raided a slaver ship and i had never spoken to a slaver during the entire duration of the playthrough.
I never used him for anything, wasnt even aware his name was serafen, i thought his name was furrante because, you know. And he was there, standing up to me, telling me how to run my ship.

Telling him to pack up his shit and leave my ship was probably the most memorable thing i did in this game.

Tigranes

Arcane
Loadings are mostly within 5 seconds for me, but in any case, you can alt-tab during loading or walking if on borderless

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
a random guy (even if he Watcher)

the most hilarious thing about poe remains to me that the protag being a watcher means nothing

hello i'm a superhero watcher

my superpowers are uh

uhm

watching

tremble before my importance

Watching in other people's memories, be them dead or alive seem quite special to me.

Of course it's more subtle than projecting people meters away every time you sneeze, can't compete with the dragonborn.
But everyone agrees PoE is not the action type, more of the "voyeuristic" approach.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Watching in other people's memories, be them dead or alive seem quite special to me.

Of course it's more subtle than projecting people meters away every time you sneeze, can't compete with the dragonborn.
But PoE is not the action type, more of the "voyeuristic" approach.

it's the wrong tool for the job. the watcher would be the ideal protagonist in a detective RPG that's all about investigation. But most of the "ah ha! I can see into your soul" moments in Pillars and Deadfire are kind of wasted. You rarely get the sense that it's particularly useful or particularly important.

If Deadfire was instead, say, Neketaka Noir, it would be the perfect superpower. But it's another epic quest where you do epic things, which makes this very personal power seem kind of puny and unimportant.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Maybe. But really, having super powers in not mandatory for my heroes. I don't need them to be the more baddass in the world. More like the opposite actually : just some guy in the wrong place at the wrong moment.

This game doesn't seem to understand the notion of super power anyway : during an underwater CYOA segment, Tekehu almost drowned in a sunken corridor while all the others swam safely to the next room. Isn't he supposed to be the shark man, protected of Ondra?

I had started reading through Wikipedia's articles on Renaissance and early Baroque

Since you mention it, the classical music that would fit the best for PoE would be renaissance and early baroque. PoE2 has gunpowder and star shaped forts, galleons and a collonial era, and you could see Animancers as some weird Freethinkers of the Age of Enlightenment, with all the atheist waffle throughout PoE1.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What's up with these loading screens? Is it just me or are they ridiculously long?

The more you play the longer they become. Maybe a memory leak,don't know for certainty.
No, it's somehow connected to the number of savegames (across all characters) that you have. Delete or backup old savegames and characters from previous playthroughs and it will improve. The savegame size grows as you play more of course, so that's also a factor. The game has to record somewhere the state of more and more areas.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
But really, having super powers in not mandatory for my heroes.

That is true of course, but when the game establishes your protag as Da Watcha, the super-special soul scanner who now also gets to chat up gods, having all that be near-completely irrelevant to... everything, really, is rather counter-intuitive.

What's up with these loading screens? Is it just me or are they ridiculously long?

Not for me, at least individually. They are shorter than poe1 fo sho, the worst thing is how many of them there are everywhere.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
That is true of course, but when the game establishes your protag as Da Watcha, the super-special soul scanner who now also gets to chat up gods, having all that be near-completely irrelevant to... everything, really, is rather counter-intuitive.
Still better that than having to endure another Chose One story, especially written by the neo-Bioware bunch.

AwesomeButton

Patron
but this is a chosen one story

in fact, you're literally the most chosen one of them all, especially in poe2
But mostly only between the time you start the game and you return to the main quest. All the free roam questing ignores your uniqueness.
Since you mention it, the classical music that would fit the best for PoE would be renaissance and early baroque. PoE2 has gunpowder and star shaped forts, galleons and a collonial era, and you could see Animancers as some weird Freethinkers of the Age of Enlightenment, with all the waffle through PoE1.
I've got a lot of songs which would fit, but that's a question for a separate thread.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

It's not, though. For a story to be a Chosen One story, protagonist needs to be put in a in position do actually something of importance. The only thing you end up doing in both games is pressing 1111111 in a final conversation with main villain.

( I guess you could make a case that it's a Poorly Chosen One story. :outrage: )

Parabalus

Arcane
It's still retarded that you don't really meet other Watchers, the guy from TWM2 does make a cameo but that's almost insulting.

Deleted member 7219

Not really. Eothas is the main character in PoE 2. Everyone else has to try to deal with him as best as possible.

PoE1, you got some special powers but that was about it. You only received Caed Nua because it was a ruin and nobody else wanted it.

AwesomeButton

Patron

Not really. Eothas is the main character in PoE 2. Everyone else has to try to deal with him as best as possible.

PoE1, you got some special powers but that was about it. You only received Caed Nua because it was a ruin and nobody else wanted it.
In PoE you play as a bum who moves into a derelict building because there is no one living there, and no one to throw you out.

PoE 2 begins with the bum getting drunk and starting a fire.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Eh, it's a Chosen One in the sense that Berath chooses you to be a representative/ambassador/???? of the gods, but I doubt that goes somewhere.

EDIT: Turns out the load thing was indeed tied to the number of saves, I had kept some saves from the beta for some reason, but I deleted them now and the loading time has improved. Now only the fade in takes forever.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom