Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Prime Junta

The Codex: awesome button items are for kiddie munchkins
Also the Codex: whaa they nerfed my awesome button items

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
It's not really an advantage, I was mostly giving it as an example of something more controlled and reliable. These RNG procs kind of make my skin crawl at this point, their usefulness depending on "luck" and you can't really plan around them. There are other ways to add RNG without adding it on top of everything.

RNG is exactly good because it introduces an element of unpredictability. It should exist though not as a foundation but as the environment in which one participates.

Parabalus

Arcane
The Codex: awesome button items are for kiddie munchkins
Also the Codex: whaa they nerfed my awesome button items

Nobody whined about nerfing OP outlier items, but about the systemic pass showing they didn't think any of this through.

Do you get how good that is?

Is it? That's +3 damage/dude (if these things are rounded up) assuming each dude does 50 damage with his unleashed awesome button, to a total of +15. +25 if we are generous and assume each dude unleashes an awesome button for 100 damage. 265 vs 250 or 525 vs 500. And how often do you go into damage values this high?

Nevertheless, feel free to tell me how the 2% drop is going to make any significant difference. If we assume rounding up again, that's gonna be 260 vs 250 or 515 vs 500.

So

Fucking

What

???

This shit is straight up from some MOBA.

Yes, the effect is straight from a MOBA, that's how you know it's ridiculous. They nerfed the item by 50% (the UI likely shows unrounded value), that's significant.

If you think it doesn't matter look up how minor adjustments to base stats in a MOBA result in massive (+- 5%) winrate shifts.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
RNG is exactly good because it introduces an element of unpredictability. It should exist though not as a foundation but as the environment in which one participates.

I'm all for RNG, just this specific kind of RNG seems kind of pointless and they could've designed interesting items without incorporating this RNG.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
If you think it doesn't matter look up how minor adjustments to base stats in a MOBA result in massive (+- 5%) winrate shifts.

:balance:

also i wasnt aware poe2 worked like a moba and had winrates, human opponents, farming, extended harassing/bleeding, and all the other shits where those incremental bonuses actually stack up and matter long-term

here i was, thinking every fight in poe2 was over in roughly 2 minutes and was about using awesum abilities to blow up enemies controlled by dumbass AI, getting all yer cooldowns (for the lack of a better word) and hp back and moving forward to another encounter

you get to learn something new every day

frajaq

Erudite
The only thing games like PoE 2 should take from MOBAs is inspiration for cool and interesting abilities

Also I can't help but think Sawyer's supreme autism balancing is wasted on a not-Turn Based game

Parabalus

Arcane

:balance:

also i wasnt aware poe2 worked like a moba and had winrates, human opponents, farming, extended harassing/bleeding, and all the other shits where those incremental bonuses actually stack up and matter long-term

here i was, thinking every fight in poe2 was over in roughly 2 minutes and was about using awesum abilities to blow up enemies controlled by dumbass AI, getting all yer cooldowns (for the lack of a better word) and hp back and moving forward to another encounter

you get to learn something new every day

Yes, that's massive for online games. Do you disagree?

Why would they hit them if they didn't matter? They hit them all because they matter too much. MOBAs are a good example of how a small change results in a big shift.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I guess people just want to roll their face on the keyboard (to use another MMO "term") and win in single-player. And that is what "fun" is. That is the only way to explain the massive bitching about nerfs.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Josh is obviously balancing with a shotgun right now, but it's not like this is the last patch. I think right now they just need to get difficulty to acceptable level as soon as possible. Because when even casuals on Steam find everything so easy, they start forcing PoTD in console even when it means losing their precious achievements, you have a serious fucking problem.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Yes, that's massive for online games. Do you disagree?

Nope.

Is poe2 an online game?

EDIT: Actually, on second thought, I would disagree that 5% winrate shift is a "massive" change. A "massive" change would be from 10%+ at least.

Why would they hit them if they didn't matter?

Because they have no idea what the fuck they are doing.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
then what exactly is the point you are trying to make because i think i got lost somewhere along the way

Lacrymas

Arcane
It was obvious balancing wasn't their priority. Makes you wonder what the point of the beta was when they just buffed the party excessively at release anyway and are just now trying to figure this shit out.

Prime Junta

Nobody whined about nerfing OP outlier items, but about the systemic pass showing they didn't think any of this through.

I get whining about the ridiculously easy difficulty upon release.

Whining about the actions they're specifically taking to remedy that is pure 100% retardation. And that includes you Darth Roxor

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

Whining about the actions they're specifically taking to remedy that is pure 100% retardation. And that includes you @Darth Roxor

you are stupid if you think a 2% damage bonus drop is going to remedy the difficulty problems

you are also stupid if you think i'm whining about them trying to fix the difficulty

you wanna fix the difficulty? get rid of empower, tone down a few more awesome buttons, make the enemy ai less stupid, give some enemies some buffs and/or change their encounter compositions

you will not get any of that shit by lowering a damage bonus aura from 5% to 3%

Lacrymas

Arcane
Except they aren't only lowering the damage bonus aura, they are nerfing a lot of items and will probably nerf abilities as well. They should remove Empower yes, it's a shit ability that has been shit since its inception and I have been repeating it's shit since then.

Parabalus

Arcane
then what exactly is the point you are trying to make because i think i got lost somewhere along the way

They are balancing this like a online game and expect -2% (a 50% hit) to be a significant nerf. Data from online games shows such minor nerfs to significant, it's "reasonable to think" (they seem to think so) it will also be significant in Dumpsterfire. They are also nerfing a bunch of them, not just this one, like Lacrymas mentioned above.

Whining about the actions they're specifically taking to remedy that is pure 100% retardation. And that includes you Darth Roxor

Nobody likes being nerfed. In single player games you can easily avoid that by buffing enemies instead, with the same end result but lack of "feeling bad" part of players. This is about the systemic pass, not outliers. The aura item is whatever since it's invisible power, it's a good target, but stuff you saw like Aloth's scepter not bouncing anymore is what I meant.

I don't care too much because I'll wait for all DLCs and AwesomeButtons mod to come out before replaying, but if I started a game after 1.1. I'd have a sour taste because playing with unnerfed items was fresh.

Prime Junta

you are stupid if you think a 2% damage bonus drop is going to remedy the difficulty problems

It will if it's part of a general 50% nerf on items. Which it is

you are also stupid if you think i'm whining about them trying to fix the difficulty

you wanna fix the difficulty? get rid of empower, tone down a few more awesome buttons, make the enemy ai less stupid, give some enemies some buffs and/or change their encounter compositions

Did you miss the part where they nerfed Empower from 10 to 6 levels, added enemies to most encounters, and changed their stats in PotD?

If P1 is any indication, AI updates will come in patch 2.0 in 6 months or so.

you will not get any of that shit by lowering a damage bonus aura from 5% to 3%

It will if it's part of a general 50% nerf on items. Which it is

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
A sign of things to come? Modders hard at work fixing; you can finally be a dragon in PoE2:
https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/1...looded-barbarian-subclass-turn-into-a-dragon/

https://www.nexusmod...rnity2/mods/76/

I've been working on this relentlessly for a few weeks. At first it was just going to be a simple replacement of Carnage and maybe a fire skill.

But it turned into transforming into a big freakin dragon and tearing apart enemies with unique skills and abilities.

Enjoy.

76-1528014667-1768648315.jpeg

Prime Junta

Nobody likes being nerfed. In single player games you can easily avoid that by buffing enemies instead, with the same end result but lack of "feeling bad" part of players.

I like being nerfed.

And buffing enemies instead will not do the same thing. If you buff enemies only, that will cause general stat inflation: +1 will mean less and the items, stats, and abilities will feel less impactful overall -- and (((some people))) are already complaining that stats don't matter enough. Your general opfor buff with no item/ability nerf would make that worse.

Conversely, if you nerf abilities and items only, that causes stat deflation which makes the system more minmaxy and will produce more OP/UP outliers.

If you want to keep the overall feel of the system the same while making it more challenging, you have to do both. It's not rocket science FFS

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
828 square feet? How much is that in non-primitive measurement units?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom