Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lhynn

Arcane
There's literally nothing exotic about Viconia. At all.

Its literally straight from Fantasy Companion Generator - take a generic human Stacy the prom queen, paint her blue/green/pink/another weird color, add horns or tail, and you've got yourself an "exotic" romance option.

Science-Fiction Companion Generator - take a generic human Stacy the prom queen, add a helmet.

This is not true tho. Viconia romance is memorable because there is some depth to her. Because your expectations are subverted more than once.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Maybe, just maybe, there is a difference between a romance and a fuck simulator.
All those in need of gamey fuck simulators have plenty of options and know where to go to get that fix.

Then again a romance has a connotation of a soapy romantic crap, which isnt what i would expect as a default style of interaction with companions.
The very idea always introduces logical inconsistencies and absurd options and events, such as all companions needing to be bisexual/pansexual and two click automatons who immediately fall "in love" with "you".

Which of course has nothing to do with love.
Deadfire is another example of such idiotic cheap and superficial approach.

Yeah, with the snap of a finger, men are nursing children. Does this sound like written by someone who has the faintest experience with children? :)

Mammals' children need to be breast-fed. This leads to them developing a close bond and attachment to their mothers (among the more intelligent species of course) from an age before they are able to understand anything. Good luck with that men-nursing stuff.
Ever heard about milk from other animals or other mothers being fed to the babies?
And i would guess that nursing in that case means more then just raising babies through breast feeding phase.

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/07/02/the-rise-of-single-fathers/

https://www.livescience.com/37918-record-number-of-single-dads.html

Nor do we learn much about the rituals connected with ensuring a soul's safe passage through the wheel, after someone dies.
Whats there to be unsure about? Its not like there is some other option.

Well, the "gods" may take your soul and use it as a battery i guess, but prayers wont help there.

The whole shtick with resurrection that is well known as real and accepted in every culture in the gameworld is not actually integrated in these cultures at all, except in most superficial ways - as if its an idea nobody is actually sure about - just like in our world. All the factions, nations and individuals in the game actually behave as people from Earth, not like people who live in a world where resurrection is an everyday reality. Except just superficially talking about it there is no difference in behavior or value systems, morals, or anything else.

You get the effigy if you pledged yourself to Skaen. That's about the extent of reactivity I've seen for empowering Woedica. Deadfire really dropped the ball on reactivity.
I found the effigy through some quest without pledging to Skaen or Woedica at all.

Felix

Arcane
Most 'leaders' are of strong womin variety that patronize you every chance they get lol and act all high and mighty, the bitch at brass citadel is the worst offender, who could wrote characters that are so unlikeable? I wonder why they didn't got kill yet.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
I didn't feel that the woman was in charge at the bass citadel. Sure she's officially the admiral, but besides that she doesn't really make the call, from what I've seen.
The dude in charge of the vailians though, seemed like a cuck in my game. Maybe due to the "never block the player out" design of factions, which made him pay me and give me more jobs even though I'd sabotage everything.

I didn't feel that the woman was in charge at the bass citadel. Sure she's officially the admiral, but besides that she doesn't really make the call, from what I've seen.
The dude in charge of the vailians though, seemed like a cuck in my game. Maybe due to the "never block the player out" design of factions, which made him pay me and give me more jobs even though I'd sabotage everything.
I think you can do all the quests for everyone and then choose whatever faction you want in the end. You'll get bad reputation during some of the quests, but as far as I can tell, it doesn't change anything.
btw. during my playthrough the Vailian guy got fired and exiled for his incompetence, even though I helped him probably more then the Rauatai.
Speaking of Rauatai, the woman was officially in charge, I think, but it seemed like Atsura (guy in the basement) called the shots. He was also one of few interesting characters in this game.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

ACG's review is up:

lmao
"unengaging story"
"you're not really a pirate"
"ship battles feel janky"

great, so the ships are pointless and the story still sucks?
graphics look nice tho
and judging by the thread title, I guess the next kickstarter is underway?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This is not true tho. Viconia romance is memorable because there is some depth to her. Because your expectations are subverted more than once.
Standard romance fiction archetypes nonetheless. You have the "mean" one with Vic and the "nice" one with Aerie. Repeat with Ashley/Liara, Morrigan/Leliana, cheerleader and punk/sweat-girl, Cassandra/Josephine, and so on. There are people who want to defrost an ice queen (or have a steamy affair with an ice king) and those who'd rather have a nice queen (or settle down with a nice king). While it can be interesting to swerve away from the archetypes, Obs does so at its peril.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
This is such a weird story in PoE2. Eothas is the protagonist, there is no antagonist because all the other gods get caught with their pants down and cannot do anything to stop him. The relevance of his ambitions to the Deadfire factions and even more so vice versa, is questionable, and the player's relevance to the plot almost nonexistent.

They chose to put Eothas in an invincible giant statue; that invincibility made the main plotline devoid of real tension. They had everything they needed to make an interesting plot, but chose this instead..... WHY?? This is giving me the same sort of bafflement I felt in the face of NumaNuma's infinite transdimensional dumpster fire setting.

At least the llighting is superb; and I guess with patches and DLCs the combat will be good too, so the game is not a total wash.

Jezal_k23

I generally don't even mind the narrator but she says "you must gather your party before venturing forth" in such a monotone, tedious manner. It's like she was incredibly bored when that was recorded.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Standard romance fiction archetypes nonetheless. You have the "mean" one with Vic and the "nice" one with Aerie. Repeat with Ashley/Liara, Morrigan/Leliana, cheerleader and punk/sweat-girl, Cassandra/Josephine, and so on. There are people who want to defrost an ice queen (or have a steamy affair with an ice king) and those who'd rather have a nice queen (or settle down with a nice king). While it can be interesting to swerve away from the archetypes, Obs does so at its peril.

What a worthless contribution to the discussion.

You will find that most characters fit an archtype, that doesnt mean much.

Nope, Roguey is on point here. Most of popular romance fiction is incredibly formulaic and based on fixed set of principles that are rarely deviated from. Heck, just go ahead and watch a Hollywood chick flick. It's literally the same movie with the same plot, remade all over again, 5 times a year for the last 50 years.

Obsidian instead tried to please everybody and fell flat on their faces.

Lhynn

Arcane
Nope, Roguey is on point here. Most of popular romance fiction is incredibly formulaic and based on fixed set of principles that are rarely deviated from. Heck, just go ahead and watch a Hollywood chick flick. It's literally the same movie with the same plot, remade all over again, 5 times a year for the last 50 years.

Obsidian instead tried to please everybody and fell flat on their faces.
Im stating that its a non-point. We have been over how archtypical BG characters are since, i dont fucking know, since before ive been on the site.

Obsidian fucked up because they dont know the basics of how to write, not because they wanted to try something different. They have no talent.

Codex Year of the Donut
Leliana was waifu tier

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
I generally don't even mind the narrator but she says "you must gather your party before venturing forth" in such a monotone, tedious manner. It's like she was incredibly bored when that was recorded.
I took it as sort of a joke, with how tedious that line becomes for a bg player, and her delivery makes it over quickly

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Oh man, I just realized sea shanties aren't just random folks songs, but they have reworked lyrics to be lore consistent. Josh you absolute nutjob.

Hold fast to the helm, hold fast to the wind.
Heave-ho, Aim'Spirente!
Ondra's grace, or we'll all be skinned
As we sail down Deadfire way.

:balance:

Ventidius

Arbiter
Even though I was planning on waiting for it to go on sale, I ended up budging and purchased it. Played it for a while, and even though it is overall clicking much better with me than the first one, I'm still at the point where I might refund.

So, in order to make up my mind, I thought I'd ask the folks in this thread some questions about how it plays in the long run:

-Regarding exploration, the whole idea that you can freely roam the archipelago and explore individual islands with optional dungeons and encounters is very appealing to me on its face. But I wonder about the extent to which it synergizes with the PoE exp system, since part of the fun of exploring for me is gaining exp and developing my character in the process. So, are the encounters varied enough that you generally will get exp from exploring, or are there unmarked quests or triggers that give you exp as you do so? If not, what prevents the exploration from feeling pointless? The loot? Just to be clear, I am not talking about side quests, but about free exploration.

-So there has been a lot of talk about how easy the game is. In terms of challenge, how do Normal and PotD compare to their counterparts in similar games like PoE1, the BGs, IWDs, and Tyranny?

-Are the romances intrusive? I plan on running a custom party, so I imagine that won't be a problem.

-Yes, I know it will make things easier, but party customization is one of the things I always did enjoy about this franchise, and I plan on exploiting the multiclassing and trying different stuff. Any tips on fun combos?

-So there is multiclassing now, and also subclassing, which seems like kits pretty much. Is there also some form of dual classing?

-Are the ship mechanics intrusive/annoying?

The first issue I mentioned is probably the one I am most curious about right now, but info on all of this stuff is much appreciated.

Last edited:

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Even though I was planning on waiting for it to go on sale, I ended up budging and purchased it. Played it for a while, and even though it is overall clicking much better with me than the first one, I'm still at the point where I might refund.

So, in order to make up my mind, I thought I'd ask the folks in this thread some questions about how it plays in the long run:

-Regarding exploration, the whole idea that you can freely roam the archipielago and explore individual islands with optional dungeons and encounters is very appealing to me on its face. But I wonder about the extent to which it synergizes with the PoE exp system, since part of the fun of exploring for me is gaining exp and developing my character in the process. So, are the encounters varied enough that you generally will get exp from exploring, or are there unmarked quests or triggers that give you exp as you do so? If not, what prevents the exploration from feeling pointless? The loot? Just to be clear, I am not talking about side quests but about free exploration.
Exploration is one of the bright sides of this game, enriched by rare loading screens.

-So there has been a lot of talk about how easy the game is. In terms of challenge, how do Normal and PotD compare to their counterparts in similar games like PoE1, the BGs, IWDs, and Tyranny?
Combat is certainly a lot easier, but the writing can be hard to digest.

-Are the romances intrusive? I plan on running a custom party, so I imagine that won't be a problem.
You might want to leave one open party slot for Tekehu, if you liked Liara in ME.

-Are the ship mechanics intrusive/annoying?
Singing makes up for everything you may find annoying.

I may be full of shit.

DemonKing

Arcane
Had a decent session over the long weekend. Still stumbling around the main city. I can't say the combat has improved much but these are far and away the best isometric style graphics I've ever seen and I'm enjoying he music and most of the voice acting. I don't find the dialog terrible but it probably won't win any awards either. There have been a couple of memorable NPCs so far though such as the Priest of Belrath.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
lmao
"unengaging story"
"you're not really a pirate"
"ship battles feel janky"

great, so the ships are pointless and the story still sucks?
graphics look nice tho
and judging by the thread title, I guess the next kickstarter is underway?
Regardless, all reviewers seem to like it. What's happening with the sales? I wonder if it's the price tag? PoE1 shipped at $40 base price right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom