Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jezal_k23

No, you must learn how to utilise contextual clues. Also to finish reading a post as a whole before responding to it in part.

Well, my point being ship combat is, along with what everyone else says, also incredibly easy. Seems this is a recurring theme in the game.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Well, my point is, ship combat is, along with what everyone else says, also incredibly easy. Seems this is a recurring theme in the game.

Please, do go back and read the post above mine first, then entirety of my post after.

Or where they have a sufficiently daring commander. I tell myself that my Watcher is the Thomas Cochrane of the Deadfire. Naturally I renamed the starter ship Speedy.

As I said it's possible, but extraordinary. That's why almost all the cases it happened are historical anecdotes now. It also generaly features either deception as Thomas Cochrane used there or overconfidence (There was a case of a French frigate being captured by a much smaller ship but I forget the details now).

Sherry

Arcane
Sagani was my favorite POE1 character. Go figure.

Still waiting on the balance patch due out in early June before I restart POE2 though.

Ado!

gosh. Gosh.

How long has it been since we last saw one another in a post right? It is so nice to see you again santino27 I hope it is the same for you too but I must agree with you I feel that Sagani was the best written character in Pillars of Eternity because they truly came off as being sincere to the character and the party, which made her feel more real than any of the other characters we come to meet. Sagani was not just a motherly figure, she was the one who kept the party grounded. DEADFIRE sadly removes that variable of good character development, at least from those I have in my party, and not one has reached the level of Sagani but my own character has marked her eyes with a stripe just like Sagani did in memory of her. By far the best character of Pillars of Eternity.

Agracima,
Sherry

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
As I said it's possible, but extraordinary. That's why almost all the cases it happened are historical anecdotes now. It also generaly features either deception as Thomas Cochrane used there or overconfidence (There was a case of a French frigate being captured by a much smaller ship but I forget the details now).

Oh, absolutely, although having good sailors and good officers makes a huge difference. Cochrane’s record is absurd (that he was later convicted of securities fraud, expelled from parliament and stripped of his knighthood just adds flavor), but when you look at the Spanish ships taken in the Napoleonic wars, their captures are often kind of embarrassing because their navy was a joke.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Oh, absolutely, although having good sailors and good officers makes a huge difference. Cochrane’s record is absurd (that he was later convicted of securities fraud, expelled from parliament and stripped of his knighthood just adds flavor), but when you look at the Spanish ships taken in the Napoleonic wars, their captures are often kind of embarrassing because their navy was a joke.

Both Spain and France suffered during Napoleonic wars same fate of sailor drain. France because of their revolution, and especially because a lot of their sailors coming from traditionally catholic and monarchist areas, and especially their officers from aristocratic backgrounds, Spain because they were going through extensive naval reformation process. They were both caught pants down in early 19th century in essence. I even remember reading that both navies were so inexperienced at the eve of Trafalgar there were cases of mass sea sickness reported amongst crews. So it was a complete and embarrassing chain of losses for them, despite their dockyards, quality of ships and amount of ships being competitive if not superior to their British counterpart. Poor Spain suffered worse though especially with Peninsular campaign and later their civil wars, they really declined that century to an unrecoverable degree, France jumped back quickly with their African Imperialism.

Also I do not disagree with experienced naval crew and skilled captain mattering, but rather that in a one-on-one confration the difference needs to be both colossal, and there needs to be other factors involved to make that extraordinary exploit of capturing a much larger ship. Naval warfare between groups of ships is an entirely different matter that depends a lot more on crews.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
WTF was that godlike quiz in Pallegina's quest line... Oh dear Lord. Who wrote that? My basement shrine of hatred demands a photograph.

Prime Junta

I can't wait to get back to playing this game. I think I'll roleplay a conservative cis white male with a Richard Spencer do.

DeIPw9wVMAUnBax.jpg

DeIPxoIVwAEcZmY.jpg

DeIPycKVwAEQ_cd.jpg

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Can anyone of the resident developer stalkers inform us on the family status of each member of the writing team? I'm curious about who is married and who has children.

Tigranes

Arcane
I'm on a business trip abroad so that meant setting aside my unfinished playthrough for a week. While I was playing my quick and dirty verdict was it's a bigger and better Storm of Zehir, and that has held. In terms of how it has changed from POE1, my thoughts are similar to DOS1->2; they changed a lot of things, but usually it was a lot of effort for a lateral move with some ups and some downs, rather than ever making a firm step forward to greatness.

Anyway, re. ship combat, I'm curious - do people try and board/fight/interact with every ship they come across? Are they sailing the seas for days and weeks on end? I go around exploring the tiles and journeying to places, but since there are not so many reasons to return to a place over and over again, and it is very very easy to avoid any ship you do not like even with an unupgraded vessel, I only seem to get a ship fight every few hours.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I don't hunt for ships, I just travel as normal, but if I meet a ship on the way to quest location or while exploring, of couse I'm gonna try to take it out. There's good loot on them and a bit of xp so why not.

Erebus

Arcane
In Deadfire we learn that:
1) Ciphers are used by pirates as ship-hunters and their mind control powers are very useful in these situations
2) Part of the power of the Huana faction is the water-shapers unique abilities and the damage they can do against ships by controlling the tides, even huge ones like Rautai's junks

And yet Serafen and Teheku don't get unique opportunities in ship combat to help

All the ship combat should have been reduced in number but made effort to be more unique, in those cool CYOA style segments, and both your crew and the enemy could take advantage of PoE classes to make things more interesting (A Ranger could try to snipe a member of enemy crew and one of theirs could do the same to you, a Druid could charm a whale underwater to ram the enemy ship, a Fighter could coordinate a better boarding assault than the enemy, etc etc, the potential is there)

Naval combat purely in CYOA form would have felt too static in my opinion. But it's true that it would be nice if the PC and the companions had occasions to use their abilities before boarding.

Regarding Serafen, maybe he's the reason the locations of the ships you may be interested in conveniently appear on the map ? (Well, probably not, but you can pretend it is.)

mibbles

codex grandma
Patron
I have a theory that the success of an RPG is directly tied to the amount of cringy tumblr fanart it generates.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Shifting goal posts and a strawman - again.

Besides being bloody idiotic.
There is no food shortages anywhere in the game, as there is plenty of food everywhere you go - and the idea is stupid for this specific setting and the story.

Muh characters found enough loaves of bread to always have that +1 to filibustering when the situation came up, therefore there's no lore reason in the game for people to starve :lol: Just stop it already, you're killing me with your parody of a thinking human being.

Its even established that Rautai are coming there to get more agriculture land, which they miss back home.
Im not talking about "water" either, you dumb cretin.

You're not talking about water. Except water is all you've been talking about, you shit spewing imbecile.

Ofc, if you've got arable land (however much) AND sea, surely then people will always be swimming in food?!?!

Only a epic dumbfuck would go and try to change my words into that moronic diarhea and then pretend its what i said.
And if you are going to pull real history might wanna think about how numerous island societies survived and the "raging storms" and "famines". Not that you can think. Youre a laughable cretinous imbecile.

Your intentionally vague bullshit can't mask your retardation, I'm afraid. Demonstrate how it's impossible for people to starve at the seaside, that's what this argument was about.

I'll have to explain this again due to your severe autism: this is not even about the whole society going extinct. This is about certain individuals being kept short of food at times. This could very well be due to, let's say, inequalities when it comes to food.

I actually expected you to get that but thats my fault. I overestimated your cognitive abilities.

The reason i mentioned magic is your idiotic argument about storms preventing fishing and any mariculture.
Because the very first fucking mission introduces you to Watershaper indigenous wizards who can calm storms.
I mean, even in some ludicrous case where ... the "sea is raging all the time" and "storms prevent fishing!!" as your defect ignorant retard brain thinks about it.

You said there's no need for combustion engines when you've got magic. Now you pathetic moron are changing the goalposts to storms.

'I can calm da storms!' For how long exactly, and is that going to instantly make sea dwelling animals reassume the place they occupied before the storm?

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
This is a "shoulda coulda woulda" suggestion but it would be nice if the ship combat took advantage of the lore of the setting in the game, and how the classes and the party could interact in these situations.

In Deadfire we learn that:
1) Ciphers are used by pirates as ship-hunters and their mind control powers are very useful in these situations
2) Part of the power of the Huana faction is the water-shapers unique abilities and the damage they can do against ships by controlling the tides, even huge ones like Rautai's junks

And yet Serafen and Teheku don't get unique opportunities in ship combat to help

All the ship combat should have been reduced in number but made effort to be more unique, in those cool CYOA style segments, and both your crew and the enemy could take advantage of PoE classes to make things more interesting (A Ranger could try to snipe a member of enemy crew and one of theirs could do the same to you, a Druid could charm a whale underwater to ram the enemy ship, a Fighter could coordinate a better boarding assault than the enemy, etc etc, the potential is there)

This is a good suggestion and you should post it to Sawyer, maybe on his tumblr.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom