Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Nobody can deny that people still play BG1 and 2, so it isn't funny in that way. They are good games that will be played in the future as well.

Sizzle

Arcane
People still play BG2. Mods played a large part in its enduring popularity.

Compared to BG2, BG1 isn't remotely as popular.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What is the conclusive list of what Carrie Patel wrote for PoE1/2? Roguey ?
It's kind of tricky to say, in part because many of the things I wrote were collaborative efforts to some degree or another, and in part because a lot of what I wrote was scattered throughout the game.

I wrote Aloth, Sagani, most of the Dyrford content, and various quests/conversations throughout. Some of the things I enjoyed the most were (Act III spoilers) the Teir Evron conversations and the lore for the six tribes. The (Act III spoilers again) anamfatha Bethwl and Simoc were fun, too.

In addition to that, she cleaned up Grieving Mother and wrote the Devil of Caroc and Maneha in the White March. I believe any line of dialogue where a character bounces on her feet is also hers.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Sagani was alright, but Maneha & Devil are actually the perfect examples of kinda idiotic giggly characters that are bad so if it's her thing I'm not surprised PoE2 lowered the bar on writing.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
She is so hit & miss. Devil of Caroc is a well-written and fun character with quite bit of depth despite her short companion quest, her quips are actually entertaining too, meanwhile Maneha is entirely a waste of time and tries too hard.

FreeKaner

Really? I mean, she's some edgy ass-assin locked in golem and is evul. Oh so evil so edgy.

You are aware that a fictional character's value and weight in writing is not parallel to their good boy/girl points, right? A character isn't necessarily bad because she wouldn't make a good stay-at-home Christian wife.

Meanwhile in dumpsterfire all companions are varying shades of lawful good, also.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Being evil and edgy in a cast full of bland and lacking in any kind of personality cast is great. Also, what FreeKaner said.

FreeKaner

Sagani is a decent "bland & good" kind of character, it's actually harder to make an interesting regular person. However I am more inclined to find characters that are edgier more appealing in a generalised sense.

frajaq

Erudite
I'm surprised only Maneha and Kana made cameos in PoE 2, everyone hated Maneha as far as I know and Kana was a bit divisive

I wanted to see Hiravias dammit

Shadenuat

Arcane
You are aware that a fictional character's value and weight in writing is not parallel to their good boy/girl points, right? A character isn't necessarily bad because she wouldn't make a good stay-at-home Christian wife.

Meanwhile in dumpsterfire all companions are varying shades of lawful good, also.
Deadfire companion composition is bad

But I was referring more to the fact that Devil's writing is kinda amateurish junk.

Sagani = Maia, frankly.
Funny enough yeah, these 2 characters really repeat themselves. God knows why.

But Maia is more boring.

Grab the Codex by the pussy
What's so funny? Think they created whole studio to make enhanced editions of all IE games just for lulz? These games play well, aged well, and also they sell.
RTwP was bad in its inception and it is bad now. BG2 has no resource management, whatsover. Still doesn't. I dont understand what this sells talk has anything to do with it. Skirym sells a lot. Does it mean that it plays well too?

Shadenuat

Arcane
k.

is good thing it's that day of the week. I have lots of beer and cant' drink it all. so I can make good and reasonable answers to good and reasonable facts like one above. 's good.

also playing poe2 drunk greatly enhances the game.

is mixing beer with wine good idea if you're already 30? ahhh whatever

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
The only thing Sagani and Maia have in common is that they're Rangers.

Might as well say that Xoti is basically Durance since they are both priests and suffer from a lot of teenage angst.

FreeKaner

But I was referring more to the fact that Devil's writing is kinda amateurish junk.

Not really, her bitterness, dark but easy-going humour and her existence as collateral damage in saints war are all attributes that greatly benefited the game. She has a lot of quips for areas and interactions in the game as well that are simply entertaining.

Her questline where she finds no release in her revenge as she is unable to feel anything in it is also somewhat fun. Like her revenge is not moralised in a patronising way or compared and contrasted with anything but is just dealt within context of her being a metal golem in and of itself.

Shadenuat

Arcane
They even have same "funny" lines about animal liking/biting you "said it will bite you".

Cause funny.

Not really, her bitterness, dark but easy-going humour and her existence as collateral damage in saints war are all attributes that greatly benefited the game. She has a lot of quips for areas and interactions in the game as well that are simply entertaining.

Her questline where she finds no release in her revenge as she is unable to feel anything in it is also somewhat fun.
sounds like anime to me but ok. :shittydog:

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
The only thing Sagani and Maia have in common is that they're Rangers.

Might as well say that Xoti is basically Durance since they are both priests and suffer from a lot of teenage angst.
- independant women
- on a mission, dutiful characters
- talk about family a lot and how they miss 'em
- make silly dry humour jokes
- barely react to anything, unimpressed, unmoved

the fact they're both rangers is a bonus

Erebus

Arcane
But Maia is more boring.

Maia's quieter than other companions, so she doesn't stand out at first, but she's really not that bad. Sagani's personality is shallower, and her quest and personal history have absolutely nothing to do with the story in PoE1.

I liked the fact the Maia left my party permanently when I decided to side with the Vailians. It makes her behavior fairly realistic (as opposed to the absurd behaviors of many CRPG companions, such as Barrik being easily convinced to side against his beloved commander in Tyranny).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom