Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
So, the business model for Deadfire is similar to the Assassins Creed Origins, with paid DLC, free DLC, contests, challenges, options for New Game+, etc. Let see what will happen.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Several free DLCs? Don't mind if I do, even if it's obviously content they couldn't finish for release. And great that some of it is ship content.

And the paid DLCs are, if I remember correctly, Rymgrand's realm, some shit with Archmages, and endgame island that's supposed to be Deadfire's Concelhahut siege?

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Before ruinning their relationship with Paradox it seems Obsidian learned a few interesting tidbits about their DLC policy, pity they didn't learned the policy of making a challenging game first:lol:

Quillon

Arcane
Before ruinning their relationship with Paradox it seems Obsidian learned a few interesting tidbits about their DLC policy, pity they didn't learned the policy of making a challenging game first:lol:

More like they are copying Witcher 3 free DLC stuff.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

More like they are copying Witcher 3 free DLC stuff.

I'm talking mostly about the 3 incoming ''expansions'' which really made a lot of people question Obsidians plans, the game clearly lacks a lot of content, especially in terms of maps being too small and claustrophobic, lack of big dungeons, just lack of big levels that doesnt consist in a 4x4 map with a handful of opponents in the middle of the room. People say this game is big, but how much you spend on your little ship wasting precious time traveling from one island to another, hell I spent more time on travelling than actual fighting or doing anything remotely useful. The game just lacks focus, this open-end style really brought nothing to the table but make the story worse and waste more time on the road than actually have fun.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
You know who was down to earth and all the more interesting for it?

Calisca_PoE1_portrait_companion_xl.jpg

Never forget... Cilant Lis was inside job

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Several free DLCs? Don't mind if I do, even if it's obviously content they couldn't finish for release. And great that some of it is ship content.

And the paid DLCs are, if I remember correctly, Rymgrand's realm, some shit with Archmages, and endgame island that's supposed to be Deadfire's Concelhahut siege?
Rymrgand's realm presented as quest in core game, "some shit with Archmages", if I understood description of last DLC correctly, includes troubles with mages, not Archmages, Eora have only 3 archmage after PoE.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
For this specific game I think a sensible policy. Deadfire has a relaxed structure anyway so adding new stuff along the way isn't really as disruptive as, say, inserting White March in the middle and knocking the entire base game out of balance.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Early June release of the overhaul? I guess that's incline, but we'll see what they've managed to do with that little time.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
So, I finally finished Deadfire after 76 hours. I did all the possible quests and did not leave any island or dungeon aside. Some comments:

About the plot: It's not spectacular and not horrible. It seems to me an evolution of the same theme seen in PoE. While I do not find it horrible, I do not like being just a spectator in the world, watching the plot unfold around me, without any control. I wish I could do more than just follow Eothas and see him execute his plan. That's a little frustrating. I do not know how Obsidian will continue this setting after such a significant change.

About the setting: What a wonderful setting they created! Deadfire is beautiful, it works organically and day / night cycles really help create an impeccable environment. The graphic part helps a lot to set the tone of the setting and several times I caught myself just admiring the landscape and watching the characters working and behaving in the environment. The weak point for me was the "revelation" of where is Ukaizo, which was obvious from the beginning and reminded me a lot of the revelation of Chronopolis, in Chrono Cross, , even using the same idea for its concealment.

latest

Itemization: very good, probably the best I've seen in the genre. There are problems with excessive swords and sabers and this needs to be solved, but in general, there are great, creative items. The broom and its upgrades are really hilarious.

Difficulty: the weakness of the game. We have a serious problem here and it goes through serious problems in the mechanics of the game:

1) The encounters are very similar to each other;
2) There are a few new types of enemies;
3) 1) + 2)
4) Level up is too fast;
5) Items available to the player are very powerful;
6) Items can be used to give the same bonus twice;
7) Unlimited rest;
8) Skills are usable for each encounter;
9) 7) + 8)
10) Wound is not a serious enough penalty;
11) Wound can be healed by rest and food;
12) Foods have bonus extremely overpower;
13) 7) + 11) + 12)
14) Pets give you powerful bonuses.
15) 5) + 6) + 14)

I dont know how they will solve this. Just changing encounters is not enough, its just the tip of the iceberg.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
For this specific game I think a sensible policy. Deadfire has a relaxed structure anyway so adding new stuff along the way isn't really as disruptive as, say, inserting White March in the middle and knocking the entire base game out of balance.
yeah but the general idea of releasing stuff on a regular basis seems weird
I don't boot the game to check out this dank new companion because I know the only thing new there is a dialogue along the lines of
- hey wanna join my crew
- burp yes ahah burp i'm gonna vomit, sailing makes me sick ohoh burp

The white march being set after act1 was definitely the worst spot, but at least there was meat there and an actual reason to play the game and check it out
Here, it feels like the sole purpose is to show concrete proof of the following that the game will receive

And then again, following on a game's release is good when the genre suits it. Here, it's only relevant because they released an unfinished game.

Last edited:

Quillon

Arcane
1) The encounters are very similar to each other;
2) There are a few new types of enemies;
3) 1) + 2)
4) Level up is too fast;
5) Items available to the player are very powerful;
6) Items can be used to give the same bonus twice;
7) Unlimited rest;
8) Skills are usable for each encounter;
9) 7) + 8)
10) Wound is not a serious enough penalty;
11) Wound can be healed by rest and food;
12) Foods have bonus extremely overpower;
13) 7) + 11) + 12)
14) Pets give you powerful bonuses.
15) 5) + 6) + 14)

You forgot: 16) 4) + 7) + 13) x 5) / 8) - 11) + 1)

Shadenuat

Arcane
It's actually part of unique recipes for barbarian corpse eater kit, by the way.

But the point is... I sometimes even have to clear food out of inventory and sell it to just navigate my inventory better, that's just how much shit you get in this game.

Balance something (something like PLUS 5/10 POWER LEVELS TO ABILITY AAAAH) by making galettes give small penalty. What the fuck.

I don't boot the game to check out this dank new companion because I know the only thing new there is a dialogue along the lines of
- hey wanna join my crew
still better waifu than xoti/better romance than andromeda and so on
+M

We’re toning down the impact Empower has on active abilities (+5 Power Levels instead of +10
:what: pluz ten pl
1500 damage meteor showers

who banalced this.

was Sawyer's only impact on the game singing shanties together with drunk obsidian members??

per compla-- I mean blyat Josh what r you doing.

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
yeah but the general idea of releasing stuff on a regular basis seems weird
- hey wanna join my crew

The white march being set after act1 was definitely the worst spot, but at least there was meat there and an actual reason to play the game and check it out
Here, it feels like the sole purpose is to show concrete proof of the following that the game will receive

And then again, following on a game's release is good when the genre suits it. Here, it's only relevant because they released an unfinished game.

I know what you mean, but if they didn't finish it, then what's the alternative? Delay the launch another month, just to add one mute sidekick and 5 new alcohols? Wait 5 years until modders dig out this stuff in the files, like the KOTOR droid planet or PS:T's Unfinished Business?

I'd prefer if it was finished on launch, but ultimately the launch version was fun enough for a first run, I might do another run if 1.1 patch fixes the difficulty. And a 3rd one once all paid DLCs are out. If this was a game I'm not planning to replay I would have been furious about free DLCs, but here, meh. Doesn't bother me that much.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Empower should be definitely 1 per day and just after using Second Wind. I see empower like when Rocky come back to fight after falling on the floor. He comes back and get some power out of nowhere just in time to defeat the bad guy.

Parabalus

Arcane
this dlc policy feels completely unfit for this type of game

Since PoE3 likely won't happen pumping up Dumpsterfire seems like the best shot they got.

There probably won't be another isometric RPG until nostalgia cycles in a decade or so, when the "Dumpsterfire spiritual successor" is gonna get scamstarted on Feargus' newest platform, so PoE2 being alone in the genre might still make up for losses.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom