Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Parabalus

Arcane
In the sanctum at Ori O Koiki there's a bunch of hidden stones you can press. I can't figure out what they actually do though...I found 3, do I need to pass a higher perception check perhaps?

IIRC the one by the rulerlady opens the treasure chamber to the right.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
We should do a mod do make Ydwin full companion, transsex and romanceable. The full perfect waifu.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Playing deadfire for 10 minutes:

XZOzkJ9.jpg

q8lLNEH.jpg

GOTY 10/10

Grab the Codex by the pussy
FreeKaner is absolutely right. Right now the ship resource management stuff is a joke; it's all just pointless larping when there are no stakes involved. It would be nice if you were in situations where debilitating wounds on your characters force you to sail back to Neketaka or a friendly port, trying to dodge hostile ships on the way, while trying not to run out of food.
It's common knowledge that all the innovations that were not present in IE games (text-adventures, stealh, guns, etc.) are stuff that Sawyer wanted to implement properly but can't. It is curious seeing players talking about larping the resource management, because the lead developer himself is larping the implementation of game systems.

Now, I accept that POE will never be a franchise based around that kind of strategic scarcity. IE games weren't either. These were always about having a veneer of attrition while throwing a million resources at you. But it would be nice to retain options for more attrition-based play, rather than removing them.
It would be even nicer if you all recognized how pointless playing a BG clone is.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Early thought is that POE2 seems to often take systems that were flawed but decent and often fun in the first game, throw it all out & rebuild it, and end up with something that's just as flawed and not necessarily any better.

One is the streamlined per-enc abilitieis. The other is going from health/endu + camping supplies, to regen health + wounds + free rest.

I'm sure that if you played IE by resting every 3 steps you are happier with the change, but (1) wounds have never been as significant as the lowered ceiling of health or the running out of per-rest abilities; you can barely notice the little blood drips on the UI, your character on the main screen looks fine, and it restrains him passively whereas running out of abilities restrains his active behaviour. (2) the combination of these features mean that you play like a restwhore every battle, using all your abilities without care, and then when you get so many wounds that your character is a walking wreck, you rest without consequence.

i.e. we have gone from a system that encourages attrition-based gameplay (with some costin convenience/annoyance), to a system that seems to encourage restwhore gungho. That's a big decline in my book.
They turned the game into a worse DAO because combat seems to be much easier and shorter (and more clusterfucky)

Trash Player

Scholar
Even an indie dev like Jeff Vogel was capable of designing dungeons and encounters where you were trapped say in a catacomb or infiltrating an enemy base, or caught in hostile territory, underresourced, and you actually had to plan out the next 5-6 combat encounters. And it was memorable, there was a logic to it.
It is the other way around: only small indie can get away with designs that can potentially alienate or frustrate players.
Vogel himself gave stories of getting complains about difficulty even there was a built-in trainer. That is long time ago. Imagine now.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
They turned the game into a worse DAO because combat seems to be much easier and shorter (and more clusterfucky)

It's definitely much better than DAO in every aspect. DAO combat doesn't have any depth aside from skill combos and is barely functional. There are abilities such as mana clash in the DAO that invalidate the entire game.

DA:O combat is much more fun than PoE. There is no comparison.

It is the other way around: only small indie can get away with designs that can potentially alienate or frustrate players.
Vogel himself gave stories of getting complains about difficulty even there was a built-in trainer. That is long time ago. Imagine now.
And even then need to know what they are doing or they will lose their following.

Parabalus

Arcane
FreeKaner is absolutely right. Right now the ship resource management stuff is a joke; it's all just pointless larping when there are no stakes involved. It would be nice if you were in situations where debilitating wounds on your characters force you to sail back to Neketaka or a friendly port, trying to dodge hostile ships on the way, while trying not to run out of food.
It's common knowledge that all the innovations that were not present in IE games (text-adventures, stealh, guns, etc.) are stuff that Sawyer wanted to implement properly but he can't. It is curious seeing players talking about larping resource management, because the lead developer himself is larping the implementation of game systems.

Now, I accept that POE will never be a franchise based around that kind of strategic scarcity. IE games weren't either. These were always about having a veneer of attrition while throwing a million resources at you. But it would be nice to retain options for more attrition-based play, rather than removing them.
It would be even nicer if you all recognize how pointless playing a BG clone is.

What else should we be playing?

Next RPG going by Codex 2018 thread is banner saga 3 in july, last one was Ash of Gods way back in March, I'm even in the extreme minority here for liking them.

It's definitely much better than DAO in every aspect. DAO combat doesn't have any depth aside from skill combos and is barely functional. There are abilities such as mana clash in the DAO that invalidate the entire game.

High level wizard spells kinda do the same :negative:.

The depth in PoE is meaningless because the combat ends too fast. It is empty complexity. The new fool's good. It is good to mantain the apparences and take the money of credulous grognards, but it is a chore to play. DA:O has a lot of compromises, but it is more functional and fun. There is not even comparison. Obsidian is the retarded poor cousin of Bioware that can't do anything right.

Obviously. There is nothing to debate here. DA:O beats the crap out of PoE.

Tigranes

Arcane

It actually seems less clusterfucky than POE1, especially early POE1.

Back then engagement was a big combat feature, and then enemies would constantly run around and through it as well, leading to a whole slew of Mysterious Deaths on both sides.

Animations and spell effects have also been cleared up a lot more, and there's a bit more info (like the movable AOE spell markers), all to make the player tell what is going on (if you'r enot the kind of player who just spams random buttons and puts everyone on AI anyway).

For all the rest, I mean, difficulty makes such a difference to everything. The game was always going to be easier for people who played POE1, due to systems familiarity & the fact that 2 is sort of semi-open world, which usually tanks pacing/balance for any RPG. If only we had a Vault Dweller tuned difficulty for the game.

Parabalus

Arcane
The depth in PoE is meaningless because the combat ends too fast. It is empty complexity. The new fool's good. It is good to mantain the apparences and take the money of credulous grognards, but it is a chore to play. DA:O has a lot of compromises, but it is more functional and fun. There is not even comparison. Obsidian is the retarded poor cousin of Bioware that can't do anything right.

Obviously. There is nothing to debate here. DA:O beats the crap out of PoE.

You are on drugs, to make DA:O combat bearable you need multiple mods. IIRC those are Nightmare Plus and Advanced Tactics for a start, also Combat Tweaks. Without them you press AoE force grip and win, or stack 3 conjure elements and oneshot everything with a melee.

Even with all that it's MMO tank and spank fights, so stale it makes PoE1 seem like a encounter design masterpiece.

I'd still like to hear what everyone should play instead of Deadfire, AoD for the 51st time?

Lexx

Cipher
Is it just me or is the game constantly removing items that have been placed in the 3rd weapon set slots? Happens all the time. I equip items and when I look at it the next time (usually in combat), it's nothing but empty hands.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

You have no idea what you are talking about. Half of DA:O spells are bugged and don't work properly. Bunch of items and encounters don't work properly. It has abilities such as mana clash that one shots every enemy with mana in an aoe, in a game where encounters are "designed" around casters. Even the one of the side encounters that is supposed to be challenging mage is one shot by mana clash. You can win that game walking around spamming mana clash and cone of cold. It doesn't have any encounter design, you are killing same enemies for most of the game with no variation, it has a cooldown system in combat that lets you just run around and stunlock everything forever, It's entire magic "schools" are bugged, and it's ability point system is basically a singular line that has no depth to it whatsoever. Most of its modals, buffs and passives don't work with each other. It's a barebones system that simply is not functional, on top of it, even if you don't use half of the game that is not working or oneshots entire encounters, the game is still easy hp bloat where all fights are tank and spank. It's still easier if you don't use a mage at all. Deadfire on POTD is still more challenging than whatever DAO has to offer.

DA:O is not a "bad game", DA:O is a flat out dysfunctional game. DA:O's combat is comparable to VTMB and Arcanum, not BG or PoE. Now one could say VTMB and Arcanum are better games than BG and PoE, which would be correct. However it has nothing to do with its combat.

If anyone is defending DA:O's combat in good faith, their opinions are irrelevant because it highlights several flaws of character. One they have no system analysis and did not even check to see if the systems are actually working, that their opinion in a game system is entirely subjective and has no bearing to actual functionality of the game, they couldn't see past the observation of that they clicked buttons and things happened. Secondly it means they are blinded entirely by memories of perception and they think what they perceived some years ago without any thought put into something is objective and comparable, in other words they are incapable of introspection and critical thought and accept their feelings without any attempt at objective consideration.

YOU are retarded for claiming DA:O is better than deadfire. Without even playing deadfire or knowing whether DA:O is functional or not. Just fuck off.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
In Pillars 1 I would have to start every combat by lining up melee fighters and casting buffs, specifically the accuracy buff. I would need to set up my fighters to ensure they captured as much aggro as possible and keep my casters back. I would need to carefully monitor the fight and be ready to pause and do something in case someone rushed the back (happens a lot) or someone dropped. It was tactical but tedious as once you figured out the strategy it was the same in 99% of the fights for the whole game. I never played the DLCs or the 3.0 updates.

In Pillars 2, combat starts and everyone fires off a million spells and abilities, and they all go Woosh! and Ka-POWIE! and BLAMMO! and everything is dead. I don't even know what half my character's skills are or how anything really works or performs because it's over so quick.

Suicidal

Arcane
When playing DA:O I beat most combat encounters by casting the spell that makes you immune to damage but unable to move on 1 of my guys and then just hitting the enemies while they tried to kill my invulnerable party member. AI didn't even bother to switch to other targets. Truly amazing combat. At least in PoE I had to periodically change my tactics and spells.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

They are not even close,DAO is far superior game than this unfinished mess.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
lmao at this quest breakage

deleo asks me to find a conch at some git's house

instead i went dicking around the old city

i find the conch's twin

then i kill the shai-hulud and find the mosaic

suddenly it's mission accomplished and deleo acts as if i brought him everything etc

lol
It seems like youre supposed to do the guy in the cage quest first, but then you fight through the whole dungeon and kill the boss only to be blueballed because you dont have the second conch.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
"A rush of grisly images flash before you. A din of spiteful whispers assaults your mind."

goddammit game

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom